Corsair Community

K8N4-E dlx and memory

ZeroZero

I would like to know if two of VS1GB400C3 (2 x 1024 = 2048 MB) would be possible on K8N4-E deluxe (skt 754/nf4-4x) without any problems. VS1GB400C3 modules are made up of 128Mx64 chips. My User Guide from Asus claim that this MB doesn't support "memory modules made up of 128Mb chips or double sided x16 memory modules" (p.2-8) and still are these modules recommended for this board in Compatible Guide by Ram Guy and in QVL for some other company (look at end of this post). Is it true that I can use two of these modules withut problem or ony one?

I would also like to know if CMX1024-4000PT or TWINX2048-4000PT could run with as low timing as 2-2-2-5-1T at PC3200 if I don't OC?

What would be best setting (in memory/OC) for a PC that is mainly meant to record TV (tuner) and to do some office work, listen to music and surfing the net? I would later also like to use it for playing Guild Wars or some DOOM3 games, but I am until now no gamer type. :laughing:

Glad to get all info about what to do and what this ******* 128Mb limit means for my option to pick 1024 MB memory modules. KVR40064C3/1G :confused: one (1024 MB) module are listed in QVL and this module are also made from 128Mx64 chip, so I don't understand how this limit work. :confused:

______

System:

Asus K8N4-E deluxe

Athlon64 3400+ 2400 MHZ L2:512 NewCastle

Later

Antec Sonata II w 450 W PSU

Sapphire Theater 550 Pro

Hitachi T7K250 - 250 GB SATAII

I would also like to know if CMX1024-4000PT or TWINX2048-4000PT could run with as low timing as 2-2-2-5-1T at PC3200 if I don't OC?
Corsair can't guarantee something they don't warranty. 4400C25s have a good chance at doing that, as they use the same ICs as the 3200XLs, which do 2-2-2-5 @ 200 Mhz.

The manual or the QVL may be out of date if the QVL goes against the manual. Best to check with Asus to be safe.

Thnx Wired for your answer, but I did ask more then one question and would like to really settle down what limitation my MB has for memory.

I understand that Corsair can't warrant every setting that is possible for RAM, but there are still possible to tell if a memory modul will be able to go down to 2-2-2-5 timing or not without being a binding statement.

I found a review (go here) on a site where they used Athlon64 X2 and TWINX2048-4000PT at PC3200 speed (auto setting in timing:3-3-3-8-1T @PC3200). It seem that it will not go be able to go that that level of timing, but still do a good work near TWINX2048-3500LL speed. I could get these for around kr 3000 as a twinx pair or as one single module (1024 MB) for kr 1600 which is much the same as low latency for two modules of the same amount of memory here in Sweden.

This is almost the same price for TWINX2048-3200C2 which is stated to run CL 2.5 on AMD board. What would be the better memory between these two high end type of modules?

Now my motherboard/CPU are one nf4 (PCIe) for socket 754 and I don't expect this to be up totally up to the same speed as socket 939 dual core/channel board.

What I need to know if it is worth to go for 2 modules of 1GB RAM on this board or will this cause problem (limit of memory controller on Newcastle)?

I live in Sweden and support from Asus isn't easy to get here and the answer I have had by email isn't very complete. Their QVL doesn't seem to be updating ASFAIK. I have used a lot of time to find out about which limit I can expect when I buy memory and what that will mean for my need and have still not get any proper answer from any source.

Value Select are not enlisted as large modules as K-i-n-g-s-t-o-n-e of 1024 DIMM as I pointed to in my earlier post. After some thought around this "128Mb" limit I start to wounder if it has something to do with smaller memory modules of 128 MB DIMM (they could have mixed "Mb" with "MB"). Am I right about this or is there a chip limit they are talking about?

I intend to use this computer for recording (media) and daily work. Some gaming and to do some overclocking up to the best performance at a stable level. (Newbee on OC and don't want to damage anything by going to far with it.)

Is VS1GB400C3 almost he same as CMX1024-4000PT (or two of the same: twinx or vs-kit) at PC3200 speed if they have a timing of 3-3-3-8-1T?

Would two stick of 1024 MB DIMM work in my MB (whatever type I have talked about)?

Thnx for all help I can get! :dunno: : :sillygrin:

I have a thread on the K8N4-E Deluxe. I was told the

TwinX2048-3200C2

TwinX2048-3500LL

are CAS2 and run at 1T command rate. But, that's without overclocking.:cool:

Tnx forumposter!

I knew twinx2048-3200C2 -they are on QVL for this board- (but from what I have seen on both Corsairs site and other places. This kit will only run at CL 2.5 for AMD (CL 2.0 is for Intel). It might be that they have updated BIOS or someting on these module to get it on CL 2.0, but I don't know.

I haven't seen Twinx2048-3500LL only Twinx-2048-3500LLPRO and they cost a lot more in my country.

I would also consider VS1GB400C3, if they where to be garanteed to work on this board, especially as I want to have 2GB (max. memory with max speed at DDR400) and they wouldn't set me back to much in speed or stability. I don't have much money to spend and need to be sure that what I pick will work.

I use an OC Duron 900@1030 with PC133@155 (only 256 MB so my HD swap a lot pagefiles to an old IBM 20 GB drive :grrr: ), so I don't know exactly what to expect from my upgrade towards A643400+ (Newcastle) and some good memory onboard and a Hitachi drive (T7K250) which is claimed to be really fast.

Any advice on what to do?

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, I didn't know if there was going to be a reply to my post so this is late I guess.

Anyway, I had a Newcastle core 3400+ and the Asus K8N4-E Deluxe. I used Corsair Value Select CAS2.5 400MHz RAM. If I remember correctly, it was running at 2.5-3-3-8 and 2T (with voltage at 2.7). Well, that's not the best timings but I still had great frame rates in UT2004 with an X700 Pro.

BTW, I didn't know if there was going to be a reply to my post so this is late I guess.

Anyway, I had a Newcastle core 3400+ and the Asus K8N4-E Deluxe. I used Corsair Value Select CAS2.5 400MHz RAM. If I remember correctly, it was running at 2.5-3-3-8 and 2T (with voltage at 2.7). Well, that's not the best timings but I still had great frame rates in UT2004 with an X700 Pro.

No it is not to late. ;):

I am still in limbo about what is the best to get for this mobo and haven't got a sufficent answer to this "128 Mb chip" limit in my manual. Do you have any idea what it is?

I am looking right now for Twinx2048-4000PT with timing 3-4-4-8-1T for DDR500, but aren't sure if I will be able to overclock at all with this CPU and mobo (same as yours). Do you know if there is anybody that have been able to overclock to that limit on this board?

(Reason to why I look at this Twinx2048-4000PT and the Twinx2048-3200C2 are that they seem to be priced at the same level here where I live.)

I am still in limbo about what is the best to get for this mobo and haven't got a sufficent answer to this "128 Mb chip" limit in my manual. Do you have any idea what it is?

Actually, the warning refers to the memory density per chip (in megabits). The Athlon 64 memory controller requires 256Mb or higher density chips on the memory modules in order to work correctly. 128Mb chips are considered low-density IC chips.

For a typical memory module with eight chips per side, this means that 128MB sticks and double-sided 256MB sticks cannot be used at all with any A64 system, while 256MB sticks must be single-sided in order to be compatible with the A64. Compatible 512MB and 1GB sticks may be single- or double-sided. (Single-sided 256MB sticks and double-sided 512MB sticks have a memory density of 256Mb, while single-sided 512MB sticks and all 1GB sticks have a memory density of 512Mb.)

Actually, the warning refers to the memory density per chip (in megabits). The Athlon 64 memory controller requires 256Mb or higher density chips on the memory modules in order to work correctly. 128Mb chips are considered low-density IC chips.

For a typical memory module with eight chips per side, this means that 128MB sticks and double-sided 256MB sticks cannot be used at all with any A64 system, while 256MB sticks must be single-sided in order to be compatible with the A64. Compatible 512MB and 1GB sticks may be single- or double-sided. (Single-sided 256MB sticks and double-sided 512MB sticks have a memory density of 256Mb, while single-sided 512MB sticks and all 1GB sticks have a memory density of 512Mb.)

So I can safely pick whatever memory module of 1024 MB DIMM (max 2048 MB to keep max. speed at DDR400) to my system? That is god news" :biggrin: :biggrin:

Not exactly, with this platform all of the modules you use would need to be exactly matched.

This MB are single channel (as all socket 754 are) so I don't understand why I must have identical modules to run 2GB? I thought it was only dual channel that required this to be able to run in dual channel mode.

Would I be safe if I bought a package sold with two VS1GB400C3? I would think that a pair of value select bought at same time as a package would be the most identical as it can get.

• Corsair Employee
With any AMD 64 system the memory controller is in the CPU and because of this the modules SPD is read before the bios is loaded so if the modules do not match you will get a timings miss-match error and the system may not post!

• 2 weeks later...

I did order VS2GBKIT400C3 and now I hope it will work when I turn on the heat :D: for my computer in about three month (need to save more money for other parts in this build :greencr: )...is that a paired value select ram that i can trust from what I understand in your earlier post?

I did also order Powercolor X850 XT so I hope I will have some fun when all this saving are over....:sunglasse Maybe I will look something like this after some hour of playing around with it.. :eyebuldge :lol:

Archived