Corsair Community

570X noise with 6 fans/fan curve settings

xoj13

Hi,

i got 6 hd120 fans.

3 in front (in), 1 in the back (out), 2 on top (H100iv2;out)

in the bios i set all fans to stay at 20% (i cant let them run on 0% tho, dunno why, any1 knows why?).

what is YOUR average noise level? my cpu runs at 35-38° idle and the noise level is about 41-45db. is that too loud? i kinda feel like it?!

some experiences with the case would be nice :)

the fan curve of the AIO is set pretty "low". like 50% at 60° watertemp of the AIO. is this any wrong? (noob here sorry)

i would highly appreciate any help! :)

tl;dr:

1.how loud is your 570x?

2.what are your settings for chassis fans in the bios?

3. how is your AIO curve set up?

4. am i doing sth wrong about the noise?

specs: 1700X, 1080Ti,H800i psu

Ty:)

The HD are PWM fans, need a constant 12v signal to work, and thus cannot have the voltage turned off to stop the fan like a 3 pin DC motor. You should not hear anything at the minimum, except possibly the flow of air with your ear pressed against it.

If you get to 60C H100i v2 temp, you have a serious problem. Typically, your coolant temperature will idle 4-7C above room temp and most people see a max load delta of around +10C. So in a 20C room, you would not break 40C. You are most likely to see the highest numbers when gaming. This is not from the actual CPU heat in the system, but the inevitable ambient waste heat coming of the GPU. Nothing overly punitive about it, just something to be aware of. AC Origins is not a heavier CPU load than Intel Burn Test, although sometimes it feels like it. For each +1C the coolant temp (H100i v2 Temp) goes up, your CPU temps will go up +1C as well. So, is it worthwhile to double your fan speed to reduce CPU temps by 2-3C? Probably not. You most certainly will want to run your own 'custom' curve in Link. Coolant temperature is most affected by room and ambient case temp, so the curve that was perfect in Winter will likely be too loud in Summer with no cooling benefit. You CPU will be +5C warmer when the room is +5C warmer. That's how it is.

There is no exact number I can give you and the perception of noise and what is acceptable for CPU temps is subjective. However, using a single HD120 to cool my AIO GPU, I found it became headphone noticeable past 1200 rpm. That is 2-3X the wattage of your CPU, so I don't see much reason for you to use fans speeds faster than 1200 for normal, non-benchmark kinds of loads.

Chassis fans are trickier. You want that rear 120 to get the GPU waste heat out. The top fans will run in accordance with your Link curve and CPU demand. Probably the best thing to do is set a corresponding front intake speed to match the exhaust volume (at load). If your rear fan is at 1000 rpm, that might be around 30 cfm. I'll give the top fans the 1200 rpm speed, but note the actual exhaust volume will be drastically reduced because of the radiator. You need an anemometer to measure it, but we can use a relative predictable value of 1/2 free air volume for general estimation. That would be 37 cfm total. So, your exhaust capability is around 65 cfm and you want to be just beyond that for your intake on a glass case like the 570. You could hit that easily with the front fans all running at the minimum 800 rpm (25cfm x 3).

Presumably you measured your sound pressure level with an phone app or similar device. You cannot compare this to the anechoic chamber measurements put forth by manufacturers. Are the HD fans the quietest model every made? No. Any LED fan has some measure of electrical hum at the nitpick level. Additionally, they are standard hydraulic/FDB type bearings, which means the inverted pair on the radiator will have some mechanical tone to them. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I actually like them in this regard because it covers up more insidious noises like HDDs and pumps that do not have a very pleasing tone. That said, a HD fan will never be as quiet as a ML fan with a different bearing type. However, this should only be an issue when sitting on the desktop and actively thinking about the noise.

The HD are PWM fans, need a constant 12v signal to work, and thus cannot have the voltage turned off to stop the fan like a 3 pin DC motor. You should not hear anything at the minimum, except possibly the flow of air with your ear pressed against it.

If you get to 60C H100i v2 temp, you have a serious problem. Typically, your coolant temperature will idle 4-7C above room temp and most people see a max load delta of around +10C. So in a 20C room, you would not break 40C. You are most likely to see the highest numbers when gaming. This is not from the actual CPU heat in the system, but the inevitable ambient waste heat coming of the GPU. Nothing overly punitive about it, just something to be aware of. AC Origins is not a heavier CPU load than Intel Burn Test, although sometimes it feels like it. For each +1C the coolant temp (H100i v2 Temp) goes up, your CPU temps will go up +1C as well. So, is it worthwhile to double your fan speed to reduce CPU temps by 2-3C? Probably not. You most certainly will want to run your own 'custom' curve in Link. Coolant temperature is most affected by room and ambient case temp, so the curve that was perfect in Winter will likely be too loud in Summer with no cooling benefit. You CPU will be +5C warmer when the room is +5C warmer. That's how it is.

There is no exact number I can give you and the perception of noise and what is acceptable for CPU temps is subjective. However, using a single HD120 to cool my AIO GPU, I found it became headphone noticeable past 1200 rpm. That is 2-3X the wattage of your CPU, so I don't see much reason for you to use fans speeds faster than 1200 for normal, non-benchmark kinds of loads.

Chassis fans are trickier. You want that rear 120 to get the GPU waste heat out. The top fans will run in accordance with your Link curve and CPU demand. Probably the best thing to do is set a corresponding front intake speed to match the exhaust volume (at load). If your rear fan is at 1000 rpm, that might be around 30 cfm. I'll give the top fans the 1200 rpm speed, but note the actual exhaust volume will be drastically reduced because of the radiator. You need an anemometer to measure it, but we can use a relative predictable value of 1/2 free air volume for general estimation. That would be 37 cfm total. So, your exhaust capability is around 65 cfm and you want to be just beyond that for your intake on a glass case like the 570. You could hit that easily with the front fans all running at the minimum 800 rpm (25cfm x 3).

Presumably you measured your sound pressure level with an phone app or similar device. You cannot compare this to the anechoic chamber measurements put forth by manufacturers. Are the HD fans the quietest model every made? No. Any LED fan has some measure of electrical hum at the nitpick level. Additionally, they are standard hydraulic/FDB type bearings, which means the inverted pair on the radiator will have some mechanical tone to them. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. I actually like them in this regard because it covers up more insidious noises like HDDs and pumps that do not have a very pleasing tone. That said, a HD fan will never be as quiet as a ML fan with a different bearing type. However, this should only be an issue when sitting on the desktop and actively thinking about the noise.

First of all thank you very much for your detailed answer :) thats very nice of u to take that much time! I set my fan curve in Link now that my cpu (die) idles at 35°+-2. one of my front fan runs at around 700rpm. i will change my rear fan then to an higher exhaust to put that warm air out quicker.. the other 2 front fans are connected to the graphics card and run at 40%. with that new fan curve of link my cpu is 3° cooler. i just tried to stay as quite as possible with my fans cause i thought that it's enough if the AIO is cooling the cpu. i was not thinking about the hot air IN the case tho (forget the warm GPU aswell...). what kind of sensor should I use for the 1 front and 1 back fan? im using the motherboard sensor right now cause i dont want them to ramp up and down with any degree changes of the cpu. do u think that's ok? or change it to VRAM or another sensor maybe? Liqiud temp is about 35° right now. same as the cpu. ambient is maybe 25-28°.

i REALLY appreciate your help :)

Do you have a Commander Pro? If so, use one of it's included sensors ... place just above the GPU. I also like to have one on the radiator intake.

If not, you'll need to figure out which of the additional motherboard sensors will give you a relevant temperature. Unfortunately, that's so variable among the motherboards that it's hard to say.

Archived