Corsair Community

Corsair CM3X2G1333C9, require help with a potential fault

Caatalyst

Hey hey!

I'm experiencing some critical errors with my system which I believe is related to the two memory modules installed.

Initially the problem occurred during a reboot of windows 7. I'll go through what I did step by step incase it helps.

Before I decided to format I purchased a external hard drive (SEAGATE AGENT 750GB) to backup any important data.

I then Put the Windows 7 Boot up disc and wiped both internal hard drives (400GB Samsung Spin point and a 1TB Seagate) using windows setup format tool.

I followed the instructions to install the operating system untill it reached the "Expanding files" stage. At this point it crashed with a windows error message. I tryed again and again but each time it would crash at different stages of the expanding files part. Sometimes it would blue screen with different error messages each time.

Initially i was convinced that the boot disc i made was corrupt so i continued to keep trying untill i finally did manage to install it.

However once installed the blue screens continued.

So I next tried to install using a pen drive, the results were the same.

I tried swapping the hard drives around, installing onto the other one, disabling one but nothing worked, updating the bios but nothing worked.

So next I tried taking one memory module out and trying to install again. I was still getting windows error messages during the expansion but no blue screen messages. So I continued for about 20 times till i got a fresh install.

The operating system now works with the one stick but its blue screened a couple of times still. I've also noticed strange things like downloading nvidia drivers and when unzipping them it crashses. Stability seems to be an issue.

So at the stage I'm at now, the faulty module is removed from the computer and I decided to test the other module that seems to work abit better with Memtest86.

Unfortunately it was unstabled, failed to function at all in multi core mode and crashed the first time in single core mode. Then I ran again in single core and it ran for ages and found some errors. It was still going but I stopped it after taking pictures as I presumed that was enough evidence. Heres the pictures of mem test -

http://picasaweb.google.com/104198916144669333558/PCDead#5462657141979075762

http://picasaweb.google.com/104198916144669333558/PCDead#5462657134858048626

http://picasaweb.google.com/104198916144669333558/PCDead#5462657156004774290

I haven't tested the stick that was causing regular blue screens during the installation. I guess that one speaks for itself. But If anyone can offer any advice I would be extremely grateful. I only built the pc back in november and the ram is under warrenty so hopefully it will qualify because i don't think reinstalling windows is a potentially dangerous activity.

Heres my system spec -

Asus Crosshair III Motherboard

AMD Phenom II Quad core 3.2ghz

4GB DDR 3 (2x2GB) Corsair CM3x2G1333C9 Memory

Geforce 260 GTX 896MB

Corsair 850watt PSU

Windows 7 Premium 64bit

Coolermaster 690 case

Soundblaster X-FI Sound card

Many thanks!

Hey Ramguy,

just one more question. Do you have any idea what may have happened? Just the fact that both sticks has gone at the same time but showing different signs seems weird. I just want to make sure nothing else is dead. Its all brand new gear and cost quite abit in my pc so I don't want it to explode :)

Archived