Corsair Community

Commander Pro configuration

Baio

Hi everyone,

I'm using a Commander Pro in my system as follows:

3 180mm fans connected to CoPro

2 120mm fans of Corsair H80i v2 connected to the mobo

All along with iCue software.

My CPU is an AMD 2700x, and it's notorious for its temperature spikes… so here is the question: to which sensor should I make the fans' speed depend on?

Diode temperature is out of the game, too high and too many up&donws.

CPU temperature provided by the mobo sensor seems not to convince me.

Coolant temperature on the other hand has a too narrow range.

I'm also using temperature sensor cables provided with CoPro… are they trusty?

Thanks a lot!

Baio

If your coolant temperature has a narrow range, then your fan effectiveness also has a narrow range. That means you don't need to run them hard. The fans can only affect coolant temperature. They don't do anything for the voltage induced temps on the CPU itself and that is always the largest factor.

Given you have the C-Pro and are using Link/iCUE anyway, it seems silly not to use the H80i connectors or the C-Pro connectors (if more convenient) to control it. That will put it under desktop control versus the BIOS and allow you fine tune the process. You will need to learn your range.

In my experience, the C-Pro temps sensors are accurate and match both my other 10K sensors connected to the motherboard and my thermal gun. Hard to measure air directly and they are sensitive to direct cooling, but all mine match up.

It definitely takes a little time to learn the normal behavior and you may see clear differences in temperature between Summer and Winter. I keep a couple sets of fan curves for each season. My summer one now keep things at a minimum up to 30C, which is about where the case resides this time of year. In the Winter, I couldn't reach 30C running a stress test for any length of time.

If your coolant temp range is really narrow, let the fans stay relatively low. Most people have a noise tolerance that is less than their temperature tolerance. For me, anything 1500 and up on a 120mm fan is loud. There is no reason to go past your noise tolerance to claw back 1-2C in coolant temperature. That only lowers the CPU by the same 1-2C. Almost never worth it.

Archived