Corsair Community

Computer keeps shutting down randomly

Jdavies

hello im James I built a computer with my Dad about two to three years ago. And acouple days after it was finished building it, it started to continuously turn on and off and it did this for a minute and after that i booted back up and gave me a message saying something along the lines of "Asus surge protecting detected a surge on the last boot up please restart" I don't remember exactly what it said but that's the general idea. I tried to fix it and after getting super frustrated that it wasn't working I left it for the summer and did not think about it until the beginning of the following summer. At this time I did not have high hopes but I turned it on and started using it after sometime of it working fine I thought it fixed itself or something, but after a month of normal use the problem arose again it, every boot-up it would load normally then turn on and off, on and off then tell me there was a surge. Now it's this summer and Ive made a real effort to fix the problem. I have re-cabled the entire computer and checked all the components are correctly installed. I'm at a real wall I don't know where to go from here. If anyone has any ideas what is causing this problem please inform me

Thanks James

Have you tried swapping out to another PSU ? you didn't really tell us what you did to try and fix the issue but I've heard of this happening before and it could be a quirk with the motherboard. I would try updating Motherboard to latest firmware available for your particular board and go from there. If it continues you can try disabling surge detection in the bios but just make sure you're not using a off brand cheapy PSU. I stress to anyone to get Platinum or Gold Teir 1 PSUs and Corsair does have some nice ones.

Have you tried swapping out to another PSU ? you didn't really tell us what you did to try and fix the issue but I've heard of this happening before and it could be a quirk with the motherboard. I would try updating Motherboard to latest firmware available for your particular board and go from there. If it continues you can try disabling surge detection in the bios but just make sure you're not using a off brand cheapy PSU. I stress to anyone to get Platinum or Gold Teir 1 PSUs and Corsair does have some nice ones.

I have not tried swapping out the PSU. I already tried disabling the surge protection but that didn't do anything the computer would just do the same thing but it wouldn't show me surge message it would just restart. I'll try updating the motherboard firmware see if that makes a diffrence

Hi Jdavies, some of our PSUs have an issue with ASUS Antisurge protection, you may need ti disable this option in the motherboard BIOS.

I tried that it didn't work instead of giving a and error message it would just restart

• 4 weeks later...

If swappign the PSU doesn't fix the issue, I'd start looking at the BIOS and any attempt to overclock (if you tinkered with it, that is).

Sometimes even enabling your memory's XMP profile can have profound effects on how the system behaves.

Post your system specs (motherboard, CPU, memory, etc) to give a better idea of your system layout.

Archived