Corsair Community

H60 install and high temps

yahoobah

I bought a Corsair H60 for my new system and installed it on a Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 motherboard in an Obsidian 650D. After my first attempt to install I saw high idle temps of 34 C in the BIOS before installing an operating system.

I took the pump off and realized it was resting on a line of capacitors next to the CPU socket and the thermal paste was not making full contact. I turned the pump 90 degrees and re-installed (hose connections now towards front of case). This time I checked that there was full contact with the thermal paste and everything appeared to be fine.

I checked BIOS and saw the same idle temp of 34~36 C. I installed the operating system (Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit) and ran some load testing with Prime95. The temperature rose to 84 C on two cores, so I stopped the test.

I swapped out the H60 for the Intel stock cooler and repeated my tests. I saw idle temp 34 C and load temp 76 C from the stock cooler.

So the Corsair H60 is currently worse than stock cooling on my system. Any suggestions for what to try next? I've been checking idle temps in BIOS and I used hwmonitor for testing in Windows. Also tried Core Temp and it shows the same temperatures.

Also, the BIOS shows the pump at full 4400 RPM and I disabled CPU smart fan control so it is at 1800 RPM.

freakin crazy... I just registered in here a minute ago, because i needed to post almost the exact same thing.

Idle 65c

under load, prime 95 took about 10 seconds to max out the temps to max, so i deactivated the test.

My aircooler would neve even hit 60c under load. WTF :)

As I described in my post, once I rotated the pump with the tubes toward the front of the case, it made full contact with the thermal paste. I have since swapped out for the Intel and swapped the H60 back in and checked the contact each time to make sure it is seated.

I am currently at 40 C whilst writing this post (light CPU usage). I might try re-seating it again tomorrow, but it is an involved process and I'm not holding out much hope for improvement.

@MEGIDDO It sounds like your unit is not running at all. 65 C at idle is probably what it does without any cooler. You may want to go into BIOS and check the RPM on the fan header where your pump is connected.

I had the exact sane thing happen to me. I have reseated my heatsink twice now trying different tim application methods (line and x). I posted some more info on the "loose backplate on h60" thread, but I'm really disappointed with this cooler right now

• Corsair Employee

It looks like your pump and fan speeds are right where they should be. If the unit is making good contact with the CPU and everything was installed correctly, and the unit is being out performed by the stock Intel heatsink, then something is definitely wrong with the H60 and it should be replaced.

Request an RMA

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a Corsair H60 for my new system and installed it on a Gigabyte P67A-UD5-B3 motherboard in an Obsidian 650D. After my first attempt to install I saw high idle temps of 34 C in the BIOS before installing an operating system.

I took the pump off and realized it was resting on a line of capacitors next to the CPU socket and the thermal paste was not making full contact. I turned the pump 90 degrees and re-installed (hose connections now towards front of case). This time I checked that there was full contact with the thermal paste and everything appeared to be fine.

Im having a very very similar problem. I bought the H60 and decided to test in on my LGA775 rig first before my LGA1366. So I throw it on my GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L and found the block/pump resting on my caps making it impossible for it make full contact with the CPU.

You can see my pics here: http://www.overclock.net/13260320-post50.html

Regardless im pretty disappointed and dont even want to try it on my EX58-UD5. Returning the H60 back to Amazon.

I got higher temps with my h60 then stock off the bat. Did some reconfiguring have a push/pull setup and added a 120mm mid case intake fan. Temps are lower then ever and I am pushing a way higher overclock with the case closed then I could with the case open on a stock cooler. 60 degrees stock cooler overclocked 400mhz per core(6cores). 55degrees h60push/pull overlocked 800mhz per core for all six cores.

I have the setup for exhaust due to my front case intake has dust filter. Otherwise I see the benefit of cooler air by using the cooler for the intake.

Archived