Corsair Community

Copying Win7 from Sata to Corsair SSD

picard25

I have just purchased a Corsair Performance Pro 128gb SSD and am really struggling to copy my Win7 system to it from the sata drive it is on.

I am using Acronis TI 2012 which backs up the sata drive fine (I verify it), disconnect 'old' system disk,reboot using TI stand alone and try to copy but I am getting 'failed to write data errors' & TI just hanging up.

Every time when I reload the original disk the Corsair is 'unallocated' which means making it a simple disk again.

At the current rate of failures I feel the SSD will pack-up before I get a chance to use it.

Obviously,I am looking for help and am more than happy to accept "You daft numpty,just do ....." and for it to work :laughing:

Backing up a drive limits you to restoring the backup to the original drive the image was made from. What you want to do is clone the old drive over to the new drive. Once you've cloned the old drive over to the new drive, then you can create a new backup of the new drive. Subsequently, you can use the new backup to restore the new drive. Have a good one.

ps: Microsoft is very touchy about the subject of backups and their legal team will pounce on any software vendor that creates a backup utility that can restore a backup image to a different drive than that from which the image was made. They do permit cloning of the contents of an old drive to a new drive. This is considered as a simple hardware change and is easy for the operating system to observe, track and report back to the Microsoft servers. The major issue here is software piracy. They don't want to see a million PC's with only one legitamitly purchased copy of Windows on them. Every now and then you'll read about a case where pirates were arrested for using illegal backup utilities to apply a backup Windows OS image to hundreds or thousands of PC's for sale. Recently, most of these cases are found in southeast asia or China. Historically though it's a worldwide issue for Microsoft.

One software vendor will call the process cloning a drive, others call it imaging a drive. It's the same thing. Since he owns Acronis, Acronis refers to it as cloning. Backing up a drive and the subsequent use of that backup, on the otherhand, is not considered the same, different restrictions apply. It's a bit confusing I know but when you moved the contents of your old drive to the new drive using Shadow Protect Desktop you imaged (cloned in Acronis and Easus) the contents over (no backup software or backup image involved). The terms backup and backup image are not the same as cloning and imaging. Backing up a drive using backup software creates a backup image on a secondary drive that can be subsequently used to restore a drive from which the image was made. That backup image made with backup software can not be restored onto a different drive, only onto the original drive the backup image was made from. Cloning and imaging do not use and cannot use a backup image to move the contents of one drive to another drive. Basically, if you want to move the contents of an old drive to a new drive think in terms of cloning or imaging a drive (remove the idea of backup and backup image from your mind completely). If you subsequently use backup software to make a backup image of the new drive onto a secondary drive realize that that backup image can only be restored onto that particular new drive. If the new drive has a catostophic failure you can be stuck with a totally useless backup image on the secondary drive. This is why I prefer cloning/imaging drives to secondary drives as a backup solution over using Backup software/utilities. Nuff said.

Backing up a drive limits you to restoring the backup to the original drive the image was made from. What you want to do is clone the old drive over to the new drive. Once you've cloned the old drive over to the new drive, then you can create a new backup of the new drive. Subsequently, you can use the new backup to restore the new drive. Have a good one.

ps: Microsoft is very touchy about the subject of backups and their legal team will pounce on any software vendor that creates a backup utility that can restore a backup image to a different drive than that from which the image was made. They do permit cloning of the contents of an old drive to a new drive. This is considered as a simple hardware change and is easy for the operating system to observe, track and report back to the Microsoft servers. The major issue here is software piracy. They don't want to see a million PC's with only one legitamitly purchased copy of Windows on them. Every now and then you'll read about a case where pirates were arrested for using illegal backup utilities to apply a backup Windows OS image to hundreds or thousands of PC's for sale. Recently, most of these cases are found in southeast asia or China. Historically though it's a worldwide issue for Microsoft.

Hi Gavin,

Problem solved.The new drive has to be on the same sata port to the one that created the back-up.Archived the system disk,powered off,put the SSD on the same port as 'old' system,loaded TI stand-alone and restored the files,System Reserved,Data them MBR with no problem.The boot failed 'MBR Error 3' so I ran my Win7 install disk,repair option and this time the system loaded.Success.

I had tried the clone option but TI didn't like it(Froze) which I attribute to the port thing.

Thank you all for your help.

Archived