Corsair Community

Asus Maximus VI Extreme-Z87 Memory Problem

David6479

Hi all,

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this problem or point me in the right direction. I purchased the above motherboard only a few days ago with everything running fine apart from the fact I can only boot with one ram module in the last slot or both in the last two slots B1+B2. If I try any other combination I get the error 55 (Memory not installed). I know the memory works fine as both work in the single slot.

I've put below a list of what I have tried:

-System Agent Voltage 1.25v.

-Analog Voltage 1.17.

-Digital Voltage 1.17.

-Dram Voltage 1.68v.

-Disabling MCH Full Check.

-Slow Boot.

-Tried both Red+Black slots.

-MemOK.

-VCore 1.2v

-XMP profile, manual timings, voltage and command rate.

-CPU at stock speed.

-1333MHz.

-Disabling C-State.

-Disabling HIEST.

-Removing the CMOS battery for 10min.

-Update to newest BIOS.

After a failed attempt at using two modules in the correct slots I turn off the system and take out one module, start up, then I get the error on the boot screen saying "Overclocking failed! please enter setup to reconfigure your system". Going into the BIOS and exiting will then boot it normally but with one module. I have no overclocking set as it is all stock.

I know this is a long shot as the problem I would say is primarily my BIOS but I thought I would try the experts in the RAM department here in case there is any advice with these new boards.

I have also posted on the Asus ROG forum but so far no luck. The RAM itself is in the motherboard manual for compatibility but I have a feeling it's a problem with the BIOS auto settings.

I appreciate any help or advice you may have, thank you.

I7 4770K Custom water loop

Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Bios 0031

SLI EVGA GTX780 SC ACX, Driver 320.49

Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800 8Gig (CMD8GX3M2A2800C12), 12-14-14-36, 1.65, ver5.12

Corsair GT 60 (OS)

Corsair GT 120

Corsair Performance Pro 128

OCZ Vertex4 120

PSU Corsair HX1000

Dell U2711

Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit

I can only boot with one ram module in the last slot or both in the last two slots B1+B2. If I try any other combination I get the error 55 (Memory not installed). I know the memory works fine as both work in the single slot.

as much of a PITA it is, i would remove the CPU and look for bent pins. it happens all the time.

as much of a PITA it is, i would remove the CPU and look for bent pins. it happens all the time.

Hey mate thanks for the quick reply, that is one thing I have not tried. I have nothing else to go on so will give that a shot now.

Just removed my CPU and had a look with a torch but as best as I could see the pins look OK to me. It still doesn't mean that one isn't damaged I suppose but as far as things look it might have to either go for an RMA or a replacement from the store. Kind of ironic that an world winning overclocking motherboard has trouble booting at stock settings. Just my luck. Ha! Anyway, thanks for the help.

Well synthohol it looks like I owe you a drink. I know I said the pins looked fine, and yes they did but It got me thinking about how the pins actually got bent. Did some research and found it can be the cooler that crushes them. So decided to do a test and take off my waterblock and try and boot with two modules A2+B2, and hey it booted for the first time into the bios in this configuration. Replaced the waterblock and only screwed it in a few turns and still boots. It must be my 1155 EK Supreme HF waterblock that is crushing the CPU onto the pins when it is fully screwed in.

What I need to know now is if I have actually done any physical damage to the board would I be able to RMA to get the socket fixed at a later date if it suddenly goes again? I have never RMA'd anything in the last 10 years of building PC's.

Thanks very much again.

What I need to know now is if I have actually done any physical damage to the board would I be able to RMA to get the socket fixed at a later date if it suddenly goes again? I have never RMA'd anything in the last 10 years of building PC's.

I don't think you damaged anything as of yet. Really it sounds as if you just had uneven pressure on the CPU socket. It's not a hard thing to do and will often cause this sort of thing.

But as far as RMA the board at a later date,generally bent pins in the socket are not covered. Check ASUS's RMA policy or warranty policy.Generally they will want to charge you for repair of the pins. But that is something i think you won't need to worry about.

Good Luck! Glad to hear Synthohol got you running!

• 1 month later...

Here's my short story:

1. Bought Maximus VI Extreme 1 month ago... failed...warranty said I damage some

pars from it. I dubt that but let's move on...

2. Bought Maximus VI Formula.... failed.... because of some socket pins...

3. Bought another Maximus VI Extreme and everything worked great this time till I

accessed BIOS and change to XPM. Then I got error 55 so I started testing memory

modules, in my case model CMD32GX3M4A2400C10. I couldn't make it work with 4 memory slots and after 1 hour of testing I tried to use 2 memory slots and it worked but somehow it destroyed up my RAID 0 and I lost all my data. So if I use slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 everything works but not all 4 of them at once. Now I am afraid to change something in BIOS because of a new failure. SO what am I suppose to do cuz it's frustrating beyond belief.

P.S. All my socket pins are ok, I even tried with a different processor but same thing happen. Asus support told me to go in BIOS and reset to default so I assume they didn't even read what I wrote because I cannot get into BIOS or anything else due to error 55.

3. Bought another Maximus VI Extreme and everything worked great this time till I

accessed BIOS and change to XPM. Then I got error 55 so I started testing memory

modules, in my case model CMD32GX3M4A2400C10. I couldn't make it work with 4 memory slots and after 1 hour of testing I tried to use 2 memory slots and it worked but somehow it destroyed up my RAID 0 and I lost all my data

All my socket pins are ok, I even tried with a different processor but same thing happen

I'm really sorry to say this, but that would suggest you have a third bad MB. Memory isn't going to break a raid array

I'm really sorry to say this, but that would suggest you have a third bad MB. Memory isn't going to break a raid array

Thanks... I just ordered a MSI Z87 Mpower Max and I will probably forget that Asus exists. I was super sure that memory it's not the problem because I use Corsair for as long as I know and never had any issues.

Update:

Bought that MSI Z87 Mpower MAX..... SAME PROBLEEEEEMMMM..... I feel like throwing everything on the window..... after 1 hour of error 55 somehow it booted to bios win memory modules in slot 1 and 4. I said....ok i can live with 16GB and setup my bios for raid started to install windows but somehow my hard drives disappear during the installation process....so I had to do it again but same thing. Also if i set up in bios XMP goes directly to error 55 so I guess I will cover all the system in a blanket and put it in my garage and go back to my MacBook Pro where nothing fails ever.

P.S. So it was memory after all......

• 2 years later...

Archived