Corsair Community

HX1050 melted 20+4connector pins

Ryaz

Hey corsair forum,

Im having a little trouble with my HX1050,

It started a while ago when my PC would just randomly shut down, not blue screen just turn off... sometimes it would turn right back on but others it would hang on the CPU boot status light (pre-post) on the board, so i tried reseating the CPU because i thought it was that, but it didn't fix it, i then reseated all the power connectors to the board and noticed that pins 2 and 3 on the 20+4pin main board connector looked melted and damaged.

Pin 2 is intact but looks like the plastic has been slightly melted and is really shiny and slightly smaller than the rest.

Pin 3 however has lost half its plastic casing (currently stuck in the board connector -.-)

Pin 3 looks much more damaged than pin 2

I was looking into what these two pins provide and from what i can see pin 2 is +3.3v and pin 3 is ground? which confused me as i don't understand how a earthing pin would be used enough to cause damage to the pin?

I have began the process for an RMA but i was just curious as to find out more on this, as I'm an apprentice IT technician and had no idea about this.

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

I was looking into what these two pins provide and from what i can see pin 2 is +3.3v and pin 3 is ground? which confused me as i don't understand how a earthing pin would be used enough to cause damage to the pin?

It does happen! Ground wires can burn just as easily as a "hot " wire.

In cases like this it's hard to tell which component caused what.

The 3.3v rail is used for many different things. Chipset voltage GPU and so on.

This article may shed some light on it for you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-specifications-atx-reference,3061-2.html

At any rate, I would just have the unit replaced.

ok, i have to admit a bit of a derp on my behalf but it looks to be the 2 +12v pins (10+11), i got a little confused by the image of the pins, as i thaught the image was while looking at the socket on the board but instead is while looking face nto the connector with the clip to the right.

So yes i can definately see why these pins could be melted :P thanks for the info and im just waiting on scan now to see about an RMA

Archived