Corsair Community

Best way to AIR cool Corsair 240

maortega831

Like the title says, what would be the best way to cool the 240? Like how many fans would I need and where to place them? Also, PWM or non-PWM?

Uses: Mostly for web browsing and YouTube, video and movie watching, music playing, word processing and some gaming (mostly Microsoft Flight Simulator), but might crank up the gaming (maybe). I have no plans to overclock.

Like the title says, what would be the best way to cool the 240? Like how many fans would I need and where to place them? Also, PWM or non-PWM?

Uses: Mostly for web browsing and YouTube, video and movie watching, music playing, word processing and some gaming (mostly Microsoft Flight Simulator), but might crank up the gaming (maybe). I have no plans to overclock.

Are you looking at an integrated or discrete graphics card?

All:

2x 120mm (front as intake)

1x 120mm (top as exhaust)

If using discrete GPU:

1x120 (bottom as intake)

PWM is better, though not always worth paying extra for it. The advantages of PWM is that it is more efficient as you do not have to reduce voltage. It also allows your fans to run at lower RPMs than voltage regulation alone. IMHO as the case comes with 3x120mm fans I would just keep those and possibly get a 4th one to feed the discrete GPU, if you get one.

I'm planning to go discrete.

I plan on replacing the stock fans.

Should I go for an mATX or ITX board?

That depends on what features and functionality you want on the motherboard. The case can accommodate both. The ITX normally has wifi, though only has 1 card slot, and usually only two ram slots. Most people would be fine w/ an ITX, I don't know why people like my still buy a normal ATX board, when I only use one expansion slot. Though it is hard to buy a good board for overclocking that has good VRMs for OC'ing that isn't a full size ATX or E-ATX.

In all look for the feature set that meets your needs, and component quality (i.e. good capacitors, mosfets, and etc). All motherboard manufacture's make decent boards, at least I know Gigabyte, Asus, and AS Rock. Also ignore the marketing buzzwords like ROG, Stryx, Aorus. Sometimes you pay more for a name, than the components on it.

I'm vying towards a B or H series board. I just need a basic board to be honest, nothing crazy.

The reason I choose the 240 because of it's size and minimalist design. I currently have a Graphite and it's huge and heavy. I don't need an ATX size board.

Would a 120mm fan fit on the bottom if I go for an mATX board?

I'm vying towards a B or H series board. I just need a basic board to be honest, nothing crazy.

The reason I choose the 240 because of it's size and minimalist design. I currently have a Graphite and it's huge and heavy. I don't need an ATX size board.

Would a 120mm fan fit on the bottom if I go for an mATX board?

Got to love how they have so many chipsets for a single CPU. Feels like a money grab by intel. The ITX boards seem to have a more price premium for their size, while the mATX seems to be geared towards value.

I would look at the H370 as the price difference isn't that much and you get some added features to help future proof this system further.

All of these systems do have a heatsink/spreader on the VRM's Mosfets

Gigabyte: Dual Bios (redundancy), Analog RGB header, though VRM only 4 phases

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145070&ignorebbr=1

AS Rock: 8 Phases VRM (better than 4), though overkill for not OC'ing:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157816&ignorebbr=1

Asus: only 4 phases on VRM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119076&ignorebbr=1

I might lean towards the Gigabyte more, though I do have a slight bias to them lately. They also have a dual bios if you screw up your bios, when can happen. If you do like RGB, you at least do have an analog RGB header for the Gigabyte. While the As Rock does have more phases in the VRM a good Z370 OC'er has 8 phases as well. Though as you can't OC on these boards, this might be moot. Also I don't see much on these boards so the mosfets on the other boards could be higher quality for all I know.

You should be able to mount a fan under one of these boards. Corsair seems to be a little conservative when they spec out their cases, I guess they don't want to over promise. You might have issues if you tried two full length GPUs, though with the board and your choices, I don't see you doing that route. I don't think these boards support SLI anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

M-ITX is very tight on the bottom. I have ROG STRIX Z270-G. Been taking it apart every couple of months to try to reconfigure for more fans moving air in. Cable's on the bottom is a big issue with the M-ATX ( I use EVGA 1080 TI Hybrid water lines in the way).

I would recommend Closed water cooling for the CPU H60 (even if not OC) works great overclocked to 4.95GHZ runs at 42 under stress tests. You can install that in the top front and clear the RAM (no it is not in the Install Sheet). Put a 120 top rear, 2X 120 front, and with creative cabling 2X120 on the bottom. I do use the 2X80 on the rear to help pull air across the MOBO. The right side is my bottom.

ITX will have no issues with fan's except you might need a FAN hub to control them all.

See photo for clearances.

20171217_140049.thumb.jpg.0834d318c03767b792cff766e04280e7.jpg

Archived