Corsair Community

CPU Overheating - H100i Water Cooling

Coldbringer

For the first few months my H100i Water cooling system did an adequate job of cooling, but lately I've noticed overheating. CPU temperatures used to range from 35-45 C, but are now sustaining 70 C and higher during gameplay.

The first problem I noticed was that my fans on the H100i were louder, which I didn't think much of; I attributed it to warmer temperatures in my apartment. Then i started hearing faint noise from the system, which I initially thought was the fans. The fans were all functioning, however, so I didn't do anything. In fact, rebooting the system corrected this noise the first time. Then I actually noticed stuttering in one of the games I play. It was stuttering in areas that it hadn't before. I checked the system temperatures and that's when I noticed the CPU was 70+ C.

Interestingly, all other system temperatures are nominal -- even the temperature of the H100i radiator is very low. It appears that the CPU alone is overheating. This leads me to the conclusion that either the block is not forming a good connection to the CPU, or water is not circulating properly to and from the radiator.

And my question, finally: The first possibility I mentioned is easy to correct (though I don't believe it to be the problem, as I've confirmed that it was installed properly). Is there a way to determine if the pump system on the H100i is cycling water properly, however? Corsair Link 2 is showing that the pump is operating at about 2275rpm, but I'm not completely satisfied by that. Does anyone have suggestions on how to further test the functionality of this device?

I got the same problem: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119012

Everything worked fine until yesterday. I didn't change anything, all settings were running for like 2 months now. But you can tell something is different when you hear more fan noise then usual.

I tried everything, clean radiator, remount fans, clean the fans, remount (new thermal paste) the h100i block, uninstall corsair software etc etc.

I has to be something with the pump/water flow, but the pump sensor is showing the normal/default value...

And as mentioned in my thread, it isn't my first h100i that fails after a short time working perfectly... something is wrong here.

I'm with you Hammer. I just cleaned and reapplied the CPU block with fresh, brand-name thermal paste. I made absolutely certain that the block is making a good connection to the CPU also. No difference. There has to be something wrong with the water circulation. The radiator fans are blowing like hair dryers. Even CorsairLink is showing the radiator at 30-40 degrees. All the while, the CPU is shooting up into the 70s...

I'm having this problem too, I just installed my h100i and my 3570k is at stock settings and im seeing a steady 75c. I didn't even see 75c when I had my 3570k clocked at 4.4ghz when I was using my Cooler Master V8. I've checked, double checked and triple checked my install, everything is connected properly I have good airflow around my case and I know that the pump block is got a good seat on the CPU. My temps for the h100i are showing about 27-30c but my CPU is showing 74-77c under load with the fans going all out. I'm pretty pissed about this, I know this cooler performs better, I was getting similar temperatures while I was using the stock intel cooler.

i have 2 h100i's and under a full load it tops out mid 50's so these are high temps.'

the only place where there can be a problem is block seating.

was aftermarket time used--does it require curing?

try firmly pressing on the block to see if temps drops.

I used Arctic Silver 5 for my second and third applications, and the third time I let my pc sit for about 3 hours before I turned it on. I know what temps I should be getting especially considering that my CPU is at stock speed currently but idk what else could be wrong. I've tightened the screws for the block as tight as I dare, any tighter and I risk breaking something or stripping the screws.

one of the biggest problems people do is over use tim,if you think this is in question try using just enough to color the chip.imaging doing this on a bench and when pressing it together virtually none of the tim oozes out.

how i do it is apply a PAPER thin amount on the surface of the chip,then i use a credit card and remove 1/8th inch from all sides

Ok I remounted the block AGAIN. This time I noticed that the back plate is very very lose, I solved that with some double sided foam tape, the back plate is now snug, thermal paste was reapplied, the block is snug the fans are running flat out and my 3570k is at stock settings and im still not getting the performance I should, if anything its running hotter now which I attribute to using less thermal paste this time. Now my temp under load is almost 77c all the time.

edit, prime 95 has been running for about 5 minutes and now im hitting 80c and my motherboard is reporting that its temp is -60c? wtf is happening to my computer?

Mine tops out at 78° in prime95 and I think that's high. N that's on a hex core at 4.4ghz. I'd take screenshots under load and remove the block and take a picture of the bottom of the black and the top of the CPU to show u have good spread and submit an RMA request and see how it goes.

I just sent it back for a refund, I didn't want to go through the RMA process on top of all the bs that has happened to me lately. I guess I'll just stick to air cooling. Cooler Master should be rolling out the V8 GTS sometime soon and it will probably beat the **** out of the H100i anyways.

Mine tops out at 78° in prime95 and I think that's high. N that's on a hex core at 4.4ghz. I'd take screenshots under load and remove the block and take a picture of the bottom of the black and the top of the CPU to show u have good spread and submit an RMA request and see how it goes.

your taking a 3.2 to 4.4 ghz and your temps are 78 and your complaining ?

if you expect better,you need to go to a custom loop ,these coolers arent designed to do what your expecting in real world conditions with the average user.

Stock turbo (not really turbo as all boards do it other than Intel I'm assuming) is 3.8ghz. So its only 600mhz increase. 1.3v is nothing for voltage. But ya I'll probably be grabbing an rx360 kit in the next few weeks lol. And a vrm block. N that's my point I don't get how u see people saying they're running 4.6-4.8 at 1.4v+ on an h100i. I don't believe it. They must have 5°C ambients. N a CPU that's tjmax is 91°C, 78 is hot.

I don't get how u see people saying they're running 4.6-4.8 at 1.4v+ on an h100i.

they dont,at least not on a hot chip and even cooler chips its probably not for a long duration till the temp starts to climb.

chip makers test and run in a ''turbo mode'' to a speed they feel is safe for EVERY user from expert to novice but turbo is still ocing the chip.from what i see,,your hankering for a custom loop--make the plunge ;):

Archived