Corsair Community

Low 3.3v warning AX850/Sabertooth Z77

Dragoncelt

5 days after completing my computer build I started getting AI suite II warnings about low 3.3 volts.

I had no warnings while installing the OS, drivers, updates etc. The 4th day my GPU arrived. I installled it and an update to AI Suite. No warnings the rest of the day. The 5th day, when I booted the computer to transfer files from my old PC, the warnings started. They would pop up and disappear on my GUI as the voltage fluctuated.

I monitored voltages in AI Suite and UEFI for about 30 minutes and saw constant fluctuations from 2.960 to 2.978 volts. It never settled in at a constant voltage. I did not see anything higher than 2.981 volts. All other voltages (5v and 12v) stayed consistant and well within tolerances. I shut down my computer as I do not know how this low voltage will affect my components.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any advice for me on this issue? Can I safely set AI suite to ignore the low 3.3 voltage? Or do I need to start an RMA request for the PSU? Could this be a specific issue between the PSU and motherboard? Could this be a motherboard issue? Please help.

A moderator from the forum on the motherboard manufaturer's website adivises me to replace the PSU.

I am reluctant to bench test with my VOM as I will need to pull the cabling out of my chassis. (my old eyes need to be close to see where to connect probes...) Even then, with all black wires, I will have trouble determining the connection points for the green and black wire "paper clip" hotwire. I also do not know which connection to test 3.3 volts on.

If I have to return the PSU may I leave the cabling in place and just return the PSU? I do not want to remove the cabling from my chassis as I spent some time making it all neat and tidy.

Thanks in advance for help.

I am reluctant to bench test with my VOM as I will need to pull the cabling out of my chassis. (my old eyes need to be close to see where to connect probes...) Even then, with all black wires, I will have trouble determining the connection points for the green and black wire "paper clip" hotwire. I also do not know which connection to test 3.3 volts on.

This is the ONLY way to get accurate reading. Software including the BIOS is usually wrong.

If you are not having any issues with BSOD's crashes or the like , then i would say the monitoring software is wrong.

You are allowed 5% variance up or down with voltages. That would be 2.8v. Your voltages are still within ATX spec

I wouldn't replace anything unless you are having problems.

FWIW. AIsuite reports my 12v rail at 13.4v but read with a VOM it's only 12.2 which is a huge difference.

Same with my 5v rail. It read 6.2v and my 3.3v rail read 2.4v. But read with a VOM they are exactly 5v and 3.3v accordingly.

Hey peanutz94,

Thanks very much for your reply.

I am not having any BSOD or freezing issues. I think from what you have told me that I will set AI suite to ignore the 3.3v warning until I have an opportunity to pull the PSU and cabling out of my chassis. I am now assuming it is a software reporting issue.

On the other hand, am I possibly damaging any components by having a VOM verified low 3.3 voltage?

Thanks again.

Hi Dragon,

You are allowed 5% variance up or down with voltages. That would be 3.135v. Your

voltages are still within ATX spec All should be just fine.

IF it does dip to low it will just shut down because of insufficient power to the CPU. It really shouldn't damage anything , but if you start getting BSOD's or random shutdowns you risk data corruption.

However if you things start to act up that would be the first place to look.

IHO for now i would just keep an eye on it. For peace of mind just don't put off testing.

also you really dont have to remove your cabling. You can test 3.3v off of one of the extra SATA plugs. Or plug one of the extra cables into the PSU and let hang out the case.:biggrin:

VOM verifies the voltage as 2.97 volts. That is very close to what the UEFI and the AI Suite were telling me. I have started an RMA request. Thanks Peanutz for your tip on the SATA plug having 3.3 volts, saved me some time and trouble. I really appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi Dragon,

You are allowed 5% variance up or down with voltages. That would be 2.8v. Your

voltages are still within ATX spec All should be just fine.

IF it does dip to low it will just shut down because of insufficient power to the CPU. It really shouldn't damage anything , but if you start getting BSOD's or random shutdowns you risk data corruption.

However if you things start to act up that would be the first place to look.

IHO for now i would just keep an eye on it. For peace of mind just don't put off testing.

also you really dont have to remove your cabling. You can test 3.3v off of one of the extra SATA plugs. Or plug one of the extra cables into the PSU and let hang out the case.:biggrin:

:confused:

It seems math is no longer taught in schools.

5% of 3.3v is what? :eek:

Supply [V] Tolerance Range (min. to max.) Ripple (p. to p. max.)

+5 VDC ±5% (±0.25 V) +4.75 V to +5.25 V 50 mV

−5 VDC ±10% (±0.50 V) –4.50 V to –5.50 V 50 mV

+12 VDC ±5% (±0.60 V) +11.40 V to +12.60 V 120 mV

−12 VDC ±10% (±1.2 V) –10.8 V to –13.2 V 120 mV

+3.3 VDC ±5% (±0.165 V) +3.135 V to +3.465 V 50 mV

+5 VSB ±5% (±0.25 V) +4.75 V to +5.25 V 50 mV

The above is from ATX specs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX

Yes, you are correct. Sorry I answer alot of posts. I was trying to go off the top of my head which obviously failed. Shoot Me!!

But I do know what they are supposed to be. Irregardless, the OP's PSU was still faulty and read way below that 3.135v

Besides this is well over a year old.....

Archived