Corsair Community

Corsair H80 Fan Speed - Always at highest setting

Slantski

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a H80 and set it all up and I've run into an issue.

The fans (configured in push/pull) appear to be running constantly at the highest possible setting , according the BIOS this sits around 4000rpm.

I don't think this is an issue with the actual seating on the CPU, as the BIOS and Everest both report the CPU barely reaching 30 degrees.

Tests I've done:

• Plug the power straight into the 3 pin CPU fan header on the motherboard
  • Disabling any fan controllers in the BIOS
  • Plug the power only into a molex cable
  • Plug the power both into the molex cable and the 3 pin CPU fan header
  • Swap the two included fans connections around on the CPU block
  • Plug the included fans onto 3 pin headers on the motherboard

No matter what I do, the fans will continue to run at the same high speed, even if I push the button for it to go on the lowest setting.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I can do to get this sorted out?

Specs if they are helpful:

i7 950 @ 3.2Ghz

Asus X58 Sabertooth

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm having the exact same problem, mine are revving up then down then up then down constantly.

It was working fine for about 2 days then I went to the motherboard bios, made a small change and rebooted. It's been like that ever since :mad:

I have now got the fans plugged into a seperate fan controller but it doesn't control them as quietly as the cpu block.

• Corsair Employee

The CPU Fan header when connected properly will show the pump RPM and it will or should not change the fans when plugged into the Cooling block will run at constant speed, you can change the settings the fan controller uses by pushing the button on top one light for stage one two light for stage 2 this is explained int he user guide and I would suggest watching the How To Videos posted on our web site these may help to understand how it should work and to know if its properly installed. These Videos are on the H60 but they will work the same for both the H60 and H80.

This from the Corsair blog post pretty much explains everything.

http://www.corsair.com/media/cms/Blog/H100_buildlog/profile_chart.jpg

Turns out I was right.. The fans WERE running 1700rpm - 2000rpm the whole time.

I'm having the exact same problem, mine are revving up then down then up then down constantly.

It was working fine for about 2 days then I went to the motherboard bios, made a small change and rebooted. It's been like that ever since :mad:

I have now got the fans plugged into a seperate fan controller but it doesn't control them as quietly as the cpu block.

I have exact same problem with my H80. Worked perfectly quietly for 2 days then suddenly 4000rpm in Bios and AI Suite II.

1 fan reving up and down and 1 on max contantly.

Seems like at least one person has reported 4000rpm on H100 too.

• Corsair Employee
The 4000 RPM is the PUMP and that is not uncommon depending on the BIOS settings, (should be set to DC-Fan). But if the fans are revving up and slowing down when its sitting Idle, then I would like for you to use the link on the left and request an RMA and then let me know the case number before you send it I will contact you with instructions.

Hi I'm having the same problem with my H80 as mentioned above. It started out good but after a couple days use the fan speeds kicked up to there maximum and wouldn't go down no matter what I tried.

I was wondering if there's a fix to this problem yet or will I have to RMA my cooler as well?

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Please try this before you RMA the pump, take the side off so you can get to the pump and hold the button with the system off for 3-4 second and turn on the system holding the button. this will force the Pump to reset and see if that does not resolve that.

So I tried what you asked, I waited until the medium and high setting stayed lit and the person started blinking. Am I supposed to do anything else? Do I need to restart my computer or am I supposed to let it blink until it resets itself? So far the fans are still running at max speeds.

Thanks

Have the same problem, Have had the H80 installed for about 3 weeks no problems, awesome cooler, Turned on today and fans keeping revving up and down really annoying really loud. Have tried everything to reset, Profile button does nothing, usually run on minimum profile.

Still cooling just really really annoying and loud.

Sent in RMA request today = (

Seems one fan is running at full whack and the other is revving up and down, Have disconnected the revving one for now so still loud but not annoying, loooks like the fan controller has gone on the CPU header.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry I just read back through what I posted and the procedure I gave was to initiate the self test. Please try this with the system cold do not do it with a Hot system. turn the system on and let it boot to a memtest disk or any boot disk just dont let it go to Windows. Once it stable then push and hold the Profile button it should go through a series of blinks and then go back to what it was then turn the system off and wait a min or so and turn it back on once its up and running press the profile Button and listen for each of the profile settings this will force the reset of the firmware.

So I just got back from vacation planning on trying what you asked but when I turned on my computer the h80 seemed to work perfectly. The fans were no longer running on max and I put it through some stress test and the fans kicked up when needed sooo I really don't know what was wrong. I did try what you asked anyway I booted up to memtest86 and let it run for 1 pass then held the button in on the cooler but nothing happened. All I know is that we had an earthquake and a hurricane while I was on vacation so maybe that magically fixed the problem or it just needed to break in or something...?

Anyway thanks for all your help and I'll let you know if I encounter this problem again.

Good luck to everyone else with the same issue!

Justin

I had this issue, but did as suggested:

1. Power/Shut down system.

2. Hold button on cooler for 3sec, keep holding it and turn on the system.

3. H80 goes through a firmware reset with lights blinking, and after a short while the fans spin down from max to normal operation (after POST).

I'm very happy with my H80, thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

i got the same problem now. it works perfectly for 2 weeks but now after a restart the Pump got 3500-3800 RPM (2000 RPM previously)and the Fans going up and down... REALLY annoying.

I just tried the firmware reset:

Holding down the button

-> Power on system

-> lights blinking and stopped after a few seconds ...

-> now the 2 highest levels are shining and the guy blinks.

-> restart the system

-> got still the same problem

did something wrong?! please help ... it is so annoying :(

I have just purchased this unit in Australia fine at first then and then after a day it has the same problem. Tried resetting nothing. It is one of the fan controllers on the pump unit that seems to be at fault it is revving up and down. Have tried other fan on case side cover and you can see it slowing down and revving back up. It is so noisy. I think Corsair need to do a recall on this unit and give us or money back. I faulty unit but it seems to be a big problem

I am having the same issues with a very loud fan. I installed the H80 in my computer earlier today and it is extremely loud. I followed the instructions to try and restart the pump and firmware, and that did nothing. I then unplugged each of the fans and determined that 1 fan is running at full speed, while the other is running constant. With the faulty fan disabled, pressing the button on the pump does not sound like it is changing the speed of the working fan at all. Also, I have to press the button on the pump 4-5 times before it changes the profile....is this normal? And lastly, I just restarted my computer and now no lights are showing up on the pump at all, but the fans are still spinning. Should I just send the whole thing back or what?

thanks

*edit - The lights on the pump are magically working again......

I've had this problem 2 weeks ago with a H80, but I called the company where I bought it and had it replaced. It took almost 2 weeks and then I got a new one.

I plugged the new H80 in and seems to work perfect again! Keeps the CPU at 30 C without a problem.

Since I used the stock fan when the H80 was at the "store" I could not have it overclocked cuz to high temperatures, so I had to overclock it again and I used Asus AI suite for this with the autotune program. Still seems to work fine, but the system runs a bit unstable from time to time, so I had to configure it in BIOS to be sure. After I do this, the H80 starts acting as the first one, running fans at 100% all the time and it makes higher noice than our vacuum cleaner..

And since my case is so bad(it doesn't have theis hole under the CPU), I can't take it out as an usual person, I have to remove the whole motherboard over and over again just to take the H80 out and send it back if I have to.

Maybe someone has a suggestion that might work?

• All fan controllers in BIOS are turned off
  • I've tried to hold the button on the pump for 3-4secs
  • Waited for the pump to reset, but it just continue to blink..?

Thanks in advance!

Archived