Corsair Community

"enhanced" secure erase?

Sofa King

• 10 months later...
What is the difference between a normal (regular) secure erase and an enhanced secure erase? Any particularities re Force series SSDs, ie is enhanced secure erase supported? Parted Magic/Ubuntu tools report that it is not enabled. Thanks in advance.

What is the difference between a normal (regular) secure erase and an enhanced secure erase? Any particularities re Force series SSDs, ie is enhanced secure erase supported? Parted Magic/Ubuntu tools report that it is not enabled. Thanks in advance.

You should direct this question to the Parted Magic team.

• 11 months later...
You should direct this question to the Parted Magic team.

Sorry, I'm very confused. Why would Parted Magic (a software Linux distribution) have any insight into Corsair's hardware product functionality?

I have no interest in consulting with Parted Magic about Corsair products; can I not consult with Corsair about the functionality of their products?

My question is identical to the OP's; however I have no interest in using Parted Magic's utility anymore because I've been using it all year to 'secure' and 'enhance secure' erase my other SSDs. It always claimed to do this successfully (with some sleep and freeze fiddling along the way). One day in October, I used another utility that allowed my "walking" through the drive - I wanted to determine whether I should be using the Secure erase or Enhanced erase commands. Enhanced erase was amazing, for my INTEL SSDs. The inferior (ostensibly redundant?) Secure Erase command was effectively a joke (by comparison). Curious, I used Parted Magic's utility and then walked through the drives.

For one year, Parted Magic's utility has been reporting successful Secure erase and Enhanced erasures of my 50 or so SSDs. For one year, Parted Magic didn't even touch the partitioning - I have confirmed this about 100 times in disbelief. 'Successful' Enhanced Erase > old partitioning, old corrupted data remaining on the 'erased' SSD. I'm assuming write-protected, yay for encryption! But I understand, this world wants to protect their important photos and lurid communications and so-forth.

But back to Parted Magic, I'll pass. That's why I came looking for the manufacturer's utility. I didn't expect to find one that would work on Linux or Mac (Intel haven't 'advanced' to that stage either, their SSD Toolbox is only for Windows).

I didn't expect, however, to read the above quoted response. This is the official line from Corsair? That we must consult 3rd party software utility providers in regards to Corsair hardware functionality? :confused:

Archived