The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Voyager Air and USB Flash Drives

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 PM

POST ID # = 382889
Askarii Reputation: 10
Default Flip removable media bit (RMB)

I own a Corsair Flash Voyager 16gb UFD.
With that big a drive I want to partition it, but windows refuses to see more then one partition at the same time.
I know I could use LINUX, which sees all partitions, but unfortunately I'm a windows user and all the computers I work with (university, job, home) only have windows installed.

I read about Lexar's BootIt program which can make a UFD seen as a non-removable media, hence allowing you to have multiple partitions.

The option of modifying the registry in windows isn't viable, since I would have to do so with EVERY computer I use, and for some of those I do not have the administrative privileges to do so...

There-fore, I now ask Corsair Tech if there is a utility that functions like Lexar's BootIt and that works on my UFD.

thank you

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-03-2009, 04:30 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 382910
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 102
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

this is the first time ive ever heard of anyone partitioning or want to partition a flash drive.
in the great scheme of things 16Gb is tiny.
im not picking on you, im just curious as to what reason someone would have to do so? the storage is on a silicon wafer not a platter like a HDD subject to physical damage, so that rules that out. im stumped why not just create 2 root folders home and work/school and keep the appropriate files in the sorted folders?

thanks,

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 01-03-2009, 09:02 PM

POST ID # = 382940

For various reasons:
Hidden encryption of certain data, running bugged codes (want to avoid having it overflow the whole drive).
True crypt is great, but it doesn't allow me to have seperate partitions. instead i have encrypted folders, but those can be deleted (something I want to avoid).

Another simple reason would be booting different Linux distro's.

16 gb is in fact huge for me, I don't store media files.
at most I've used up 20 gb of a HDD in my whole life :P

Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 AM

POST ID # = 393373
Tschernonoll Reputation: 10

Same Problem. I want to create a small fat patition where i can store a truecrypt client and the ext3 windows driver. The rest of the stick should be a crypt partition where i store my private data.

i have the 8 GB mini stick

Old 03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 393410
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

I am sorry but no there is no utility available at this time.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:11 PM

POST ID # = 400157
Tanabata Reputation: 10
Default Multiple Partitions

You could try to manually create the partitions.
For instance try "Beeblebrox NT" http://students.cs.byu.edu/~codyb/
Windows will only show the first partition, but with some luck
TrueCrypt will see all of them. Extra super security. :-)

CHDK and Stereo Data Maker (3D Photos with Cannon Cameras) also need multiple partitions to make SDHC cards work properly. There are some hints here: http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php...ge;topic=255.0

Old 07-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 408440

I am sorry our flash drives may not support this, and if you do as some might suggest in using another manufacturers utility to flip the remove able Bit it may result in a dead drive. So I am sorry but I would not suggest it.

Last edited by RAM GUY; 07-16-2009 at 04:14 PM.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:02 PM

POST ID # = 408445
cender Reputation: 10
Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I am sorry our flash drives may not support this, and if you do as some might suggest in using another manufacturers utility to flit the remove able Bit it may result in a dead drive. So I am sorry but I would not suggest it.
Fair enough. I haven't managed to get the implied software to work, so, even if it doesn't kill your drive, it is seemingly a waste of time. Sorry for the possibly harmful suggestion!

Is there any chance you could prod a software guy and ask if there's a chance he could whip up a little toggle switch application for this? I love my little drive, and, assuming the RMB is the cause and solution of my current little problems, it would kick an even greater amount of butt.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 408447

I am sorry but no there is no utility and no plan to replace one ATM.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 PM

POST ID # = 408450
cender Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
I am sorry but no there is no utility and no plan to replace one ATM.
No worries! I'll probably start a thread in awhile with the project I'm working on, might be helpful to some people. It won't be about any RMB stuff, though.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 408456

NP I am sorry we do not offer a utility, we might in the future but I do not expect it.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:26 AM

POST ID # = 430239

I did find a solution (a while ago in fact) Sorry for not coming back on the subject.

I use a Hitachi HDD driver, thus making the usb flash drive appear as a removable HDD. It works great, i can do everything i wanted to (see initial post).

The only down side is that windows doesn't treat it as a hot-removable drive, so you have to carefully "safely remove hardware and eject media" every time.

it's not much of a drawback considering what it allows me to do.

cheers!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 430542

As long as it is working for you, thank you for letting us know!

Old 03-04-2010, 06:18 AM

POST ID # = 442212
TechWR Reputation: 10

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this site and I could not help my self but reply to this old thread.

Quote:
I am sorry our flash drives may not support this,
Officially? No, non-officially? may be :)

Ok, this is obviously not officially supported however I used Lexar's BootIt utility on a Corsair 32GB Voyager (non-gt) and it works! I tried different drives before such as Transcend 2GB and Sandisk Cruzer 4GB and it did not work. I tried it on the Corsair 32GB Voyager (NON-GT), and it worked for me. The drive is now seen as a 'fixed' disk. Originally when I plugged in it appeared under the removable media group in 'Computer' and now it appears in the same group as the hard drives.

I created 3 partitions. Now every time I plug the drive in, I get 3 separate drive letters. Each partition is about 10GB. The first partition has Win7Rescue installed (Live Windows 7) along with some Linux distributions (booting directly from ISO thx to GRUB4DOS).

The second partition has a converted original Windows 7 StartUp disk into a USB one. This is a standard Windows 7 rescue disk that Windows 7 lets you create but I manually converted it into a USB bootable one. I wanted to have both versions on the same flash drive and the only way to do this as far as I know is to have two separate partitions since each partition must have its own BOOTMGR with BCD. I use GRUB4DOS to load BOOTMGR via chainloader.

So to answer your question, perhaps officially this is not supported but as I said I have tried it on the above drive and it worked for me. I don't know if there are any side effects but so far everything seems to be fine. I will be considering getting another Voyager and I urge Corsair to seriously consider this feature and officially support it as techs like us need it!

Corsair, please invest some time into this. It's really a great feature to have! Create your own version of BootIt that will officially work on your drives. You are already more than half way there. Lexar's utility works on at least on of your drives.

Last edited by TechWR; 03-04-2010 at 06:53 AM.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:14 AM

POST ID # = 442904
Basher52 Reputation: 10

I think mine is a GT so what's the difference between them?
otherwise I'll use this too. I need different boot partitions and other for just data that otherwise get lost if I remake a boot of it.