Corsair Community

CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) and Vista

samthunder

I'm new to the forums, hopefully I can find an answer to a problem I've had for 6 months. Ever since upgrading to Vista I am having TDR errors with the message "Nvdlmkm.sys has stopped responding and recovered" followed by graphical problems and eventual BSOD. It seems to be a common problem, and I have been pursuing it as a driver related issue for a while. However I've noticed (by chance) that if I remove and re-insert my RAM the problem is immediately cleared up which makes me suspect that maybe that is my problem.

I've run MemTest (the program for about 30 minutes and the Vista-built in for the entire process) with no errors. I RMA'ed one stick already (and had excellent support thank you) because it seemed to be preventing me from installing Vista but the problem persists. I was hoping if someone could help me troubleshoot the issue, or is this enough reason to do another RMA? I am really anxious to get the problem fixed as this is the best "lead" i've had in a long time. Thanks.

• Corsair Employee
Please make sure that you have the latest Bios version and then load setup/optimized defaults and set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 volts (+.2 Volts W/Giga-Byte) and then set the timings manually to the tested settings for the specific module you have, or if you have Value Select "BY SPD" and then test the module/'s one at a time with http://www.memtest.org! If you still get errors, please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it! However, if you get errors with both modules that would suggest some other problem and I would test them in another system or MB to be sure. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I already had the latest BIOS and I changed my DDR2 setting to 2.75 and so far I've had the most stable system I've had in months. If you could help clarify what went wrong I know this will help a lot of others who have similar problems to mine. Do you think Windows Vista reset my voltage settings, or does it maybe just require a higher setting than XP? I'll post my results on another forum where a bunch of people have the same problem and I'll suggest they try adjusting their RAM voltage. Thanks again.

So it would appear I was a little hasty....Upping my voltage definitely helped, but I still get crashes when running games, just not as quickly and not as severe (I can recover if I alt-tab and exit program, whereas before it would lead to a BSOD). Does this help to narrow down where the problem is coming from? If you could help me find the recommended timings for my specific RAM module It'd be appreciated, cuz I'd like to try that next and then move onto Memtest.

That can be any thing causing that. Did you check the game forum and see what they say? Also if you have the latest version of the game patch and Video driver try uninstall them and going back a version.

Yeah it is not limited to any one game, it is all games, and all video that will become corrupted and lead to a BSOD. I've tried rolling back drivers and using Beta's (always doing complete uninstalls) I ran Memtest and both sticks came up error free. I don't think it is a Corsair problem, but two more causes have been suggested to me. One is that my RAM may be overheating, and the other is that DirectX10 + Nvidia = failure.

Thanks for the help here, I'll take my question to a cooling forum and hopefully can get some tips on bringing my RAM temps down and see if that helps.

• Corsair Employee

I dont think that is the case, but do you have anything to check the memory temp?

And you can add a Ram Cooler if you think that is the case and or just add a fan blowing over the memory, but the CPU fan should be blowing some air over them.

Archived