Corsair Community

K70 Ping/Resonance - Is this normal?

Sk3tChY

Bought myself a Corsair K70 LUX RGB with MX Silent switches yesterday and ever since I started using it, all I keep noticing is a very annoying "ping" or "resonating" sound when I type.

It's most noticeable when pressing the backspace and enter buttons near the centre of the keyboard; especially when I need to press them multiple times in quick succession, but it also just continually happens during normal typing with several other keys to varying degrees.

These two videos show exactly what's happening, although mine is most notable on enter and backspace and it's a bit more noticeable in real life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTHxmK0O0Iw&feature=youtu.be&t=23s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CuF4jxcwDo

The sound is due to the aluminium frame/plate and I can replicate it by by simply knocking on the aluminium with my knuckle. Even if I knock on the plastic underside or palmrest it can create the same sound. I can also just push on some of the keys firmly once so that they bottom out (without letting my finger off of them for them to go upwards again) and I can hear the same annoying resonating sound. It has nothing to do with the keycaps, springs or switches.

Here's a recording of me pressing firmly on some of the keys.

Here's a recording of me kind of 'flicking' or 'tapping' the keys so that they sort of shoot back upward - as they hit the top, the same resonating sound becomes very apparent.

Admittedly I do type a little aggressively, particularly when using the spacebar, delete, backspace and enter buttons - but I'm not exactly beating the crap out of my keyboard either. If I make an effort to type softly, I do find that the sound less noticeable, but this just feels unnatural and the sound is also still present regardless of how I type - just to varying degrees.

The sound is really bothering me at the moment and as much as I love everything else about the keyboard, at this stage I'll be hoping to return it because the sound just annoys me too much - particularly because I work alot in a relatively quiet environment (hence the reason I went with the silent switches) and I just keep noticing it any time I have to backspace a few times, move to the next paragraph (i.e. double tap enter) or even just pressing the spacebar.

Just wondering if anyone else with a mechanical keyboard notices this? Particularly other K70/K95 or metal-plate keyboard owners. Presumably if I get a mechanical that's completely plastic I won't have this issue? Or is there perhaps something faulty with mine? It honestly feels like its defective to me, otherwise it's just very poor design - particularly when these keyboards are marketed towards 'gamers' who I suspect would be bashing the keys much harder than me. I'm not sure if perhaps something just hasn't been mounted correctly within the keyboard/frame?

Such a shame, I really love the volume rocker, multimedia keys and palmrest on the K70 - everything else is so perfect and I'd really like to keep it, but this sound is just so annoying; it's like having this tiny little gong constantly going off on my desk. :(:

I'd also just like to say in advance - I wasn't at all expecting this keyboard to be "silent" - I completely understand a mechanical keyboard is rather noisy, but this is due to the switches and I've got no issues whatsoever with any of the typing/switch/mechanical/click-clack noises coming from the keyboard. The only noise that's frustrating me is this resonating ping/echo coming from the metal plate after some of my keystrokes.

I'm trying to give the keyboard a few days to see if things settle down or start to become less noticeable, but at this stage I just can't stop noticing the subtle metallic echo after a lot of my keystrokes.

Edited by Sk3tChY

See;

There can be a metallic ping sometimes but its normal. Due to the way Cherry MX keyswitches are manufactured, you may get some minor differences but all are still within a tolerance threshold.

If the tings really annoy you, we can change the keyboard for you (since the key switches can't be replaced). There isn't a guarantee that the next key won't have it though as it could be on a different key (or none at all). This is going to be inherent in all Cherry switches (RGB or single LED) too.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=758403&postcount=22

Appreciate the reply mate, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the switches.

I can literally knock on the aluminium frame and replicate the same resonance sound. I can even do the same thing by knocking the plastic underneath - it's 110% the aluminum plate that's creating the sound, not the switches.

The only way the switches are responsible for this, is that the sound is created by them vibrating on the metal plate they're mounted on as the keycap bottoms out.

From investigating this a little further, from what I read this can happen with keyboards that have metal plate-mounted switches, but to me this is just far too extreme - it literally sounds like a tiny little gong is going off at my desk as I type.

Here's another recording - all I'm doing is firmly pushing the enter and backspace buttons.

Admittedly I do tend to push these buttons a bit harder than the others - but even when I make an effort to type softly there is still a feint resonating ping emanating from the keyboard.

As an example - if I firmly double tap the "G" key, there is still a metallic resonance, but it's significantly less noticeable. If I firmly double tap the backspace key, the resonance is significantly louder - to the point where I can fairly comfortably hear it as I'm typing in my quiet room.

At this stage, I'll be returning the keyboard to the store within the next couple of days; but I'd just like to know if I should bother trying to test out a second K70 prior to giving up entirely. I really, really like the design of the board - it's literally just this ping/resonating issue that's bugging me.

Are there any other K70/K95 owners that would be able to shed a bit of light on how pingy/resonant their boards are?

• 1 year later...
Appreciate the reply mate, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the switches.

I can literally knock on the aluminium frame and replicate the same resonance sound. I can even do the same thing by knocking the plastic underneath - it's 110% the aluminum plate that's creating the sound, not the switches.

The only way the switches are responsible for this, is that the sound is created by them vibrating on the metal plate they're mounted on as the keycap bottoms out.

From investigating this a little further, from what I read this can happen with keyboards that have metal plate-mounted switches, but to me this is just far too extreme - it literally sounds like a tiny little gong is going off at my desk as I type.

Here's another recording - all I'm doing is firmly pushing the enter and backspace buttons.

Admittedly I do tend to push these buttons a bit harder than the others - but even when I make an effort to type softly there is still a feint resonating ping emanating from the keyboard.

As an example - if I firmly double tap the "G" key, there is still a metallic resonance, but it's significantly less noticeable. If I firmly double tap the backspace key, the resonance is significantly louder - to the point where I can fairly comfortably hear it as I'm typing in my quiet room.

At this stage, I'll be returning the keyboard to the store within the next couple of days; but I'd just like to know if I should bother trying to test out a second K70 prior to giving up entirely. I really, really like the design of the board - it's literally just this ping/resonating issue that's bugging me.

Are there any other K70/K95 owners that would be able to shed a bit of light on how pingy/resonant their boards are?

I've got the same pinging noise. But when you listen to the metallic/aluminum frame Razer keyboards they exhibit the same thing. I thing the fact that the switches are quicker and require less actuation and there is less force needed to push down on the key causes this to happen.

[ame]

[/ame]

Play this over ear buds, not only do you get that annoying clickitty clack but you also also get that ding ding ding as well. I might be wrong but it's going to be inherent on all the keyboards with a metallic plate. Production should be brought to the US. I watched some videos of how cooler master makes their cases and it looks like sweatshop. Long distance from desiring a place where people would care enough to put their heart into a product. Corsair makes a great design and has awesome boards but this should be fixed.

Does corsair have any perks for their customer since they are aware that this is an inherent issue. I personally exchanged this keyboard 4 times at a best buy store and they all sound the same.