Corsair Community

Scimitar not recognized on Win7 bootup

I haven't seen this pop up lately so I thought I'd ask...

Running CUE 2.9.53 with a K70 RGB and Scimitar. This has happened occasionally in the past as well so don't believe it's a new problem, or how much of it is actually CUE-related.

Sometimes when I cold-boot my computer into Win7 Pro and after CUE has initialized, my K70 is functioning as expected but my Scimitar is dark and completely nonfunctional. I have to reboot the computer via the keyboard and when it has rebooted, CUE finds the keyboard and mouse as expected. The thing is, when I turn my computer on and it's starting to boot, both keyboard and mouse are powered up and functional. Once Windows has started to load they're functional and using the onboard lighting schemes. It's only when CUE loads does it seem to hiccup and cut power to the mouse.

I do not recall ever seeing this behavior when the system is simply rebooted, but it does seem to happen maybe 10-20% of the time it's powered up when I come home from work. I know the keyboard is plugged into a USB 3.0 port and I believe the Scimitar is as well. Since it's happening during the boot process and the computer is loading a ton of crap in the background, it could very well be a timing glitch. I'm just curious if anyone else has ever experienced it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm pretty sure it's a Windoze thing in how it "manages" all the USB devices connected to the computer. Just like everything computer-related nowadays, it's neither consistent or "plug & play". Instead, it's random functionality and troublesome device installation. First world problems for sure, but still a royal pain in the ****!

I'm pretty sure it's a Windoze thing in how it "manages" all the USB devices connected to the computer. Just like everything computer-related nowadays, it's neither consistent or "plug & play". Instead, it's random functionality and troublesome device installation. First world problems for sure, but still a royal pain in the ****!

I hear you. Not a crippling problem, just a nuisance.

For me, it only happens from cold boot. Hibernation boot is fine.

I've had other complex mice, bar the Naga so far, and none of them has ever exhibited this kind of weird issue.

I hear you. Not a crippling problem, just a nuisance.

For me, it only happens from cold boot. Hibernation boot is fine.

I've had other complex mice, bar the Naga so far, and none of them has ever exhibited this kind of weird issue.

Yep. It seems like this problem only popped up a few months ago, so who knows what update to "improve" the system caused this. They keep pushing the speed of interconnects (i.e. USB 3.0/3.1) and the engineer in me is saying that while things might look and work perfectly in a clinical setting, real-world applications are far from the lab and the real world is where the glitches occur.

Hey all I'm having a similar issue with my scimitar.

Some times on boot, my mouse doesn't initiate. The led's won't glow and the mouse is not usable.

Usually I just unplug and replug it, which fixes the issue temporarily.

It's not a big issue, but if there is a fix, that would be great.

Hey all I'm having a similar issue with my scimitar.

Some times on boot, my mouse doesn't initiate. The led's won't glow and the mouse is not usable.

Usually I just unplug and replug it, which fixes the issue temporarily.

It's not a big issue, but if there is a fix, that would be great.

It's like you are me!

Yup.. Mine does this too no matter if USB2/USB3.. I resorted to just plugging the mouse into the Strafes USB pass through to make it easier to unplug and plug back in when it randomly won't fire up on boot instead of having to reach down behind the PC to do it.

Yup.. Mine does this too no matter if USB2/USB3.. I resorted to just plugging the mouse into the Strafes USB pass through to make it easier to unplug and plug back in when it randomly won't fire up on boot instead of having to reach down behind the PC to do it.

So there are quite a few of us then it seems.

I'm having good success so far giving the mouse a higher priority USB node.

That doesn't work. Of all the USB devices this PC setup has seen over time this dumb mouse is the only thing to ever just not be activated randomly at boot. It's funny..

It has to be a firmware thing.. Even on the USB pass through on my Strafe.. The Scimitar won't turn on randomly but the keyboard is alive and well 100% of the time..

That doesn't work. Of all the USB devices this PC setup has seen over time this dumb mouse is the only thing to ever just not be activated randomly at boot. It's funny..

It has to be a firmware thing.. Even on the USB pass through on my Strafe.. The Scimitar won't turn on randomly but the keyboard is alive and well 100% of the time..

Well let's just hope someone from Corsair is paying attention. Could you downgrade firmware?

So, in this instance the issue occurs on restart. That probably means the mouse is having issue being detected upon restarts, but not enough for the driver protocols to not be able to grab the proper tags from the mouse.

Please go to CONTROL PANEL / HARDWARE AND SOUND / POWER OPTIONS and then click on CHANGE PLAN SETTINGS (for your current default power plan). After that click on CHANGE ADVANCED POWER SETTINGS.

When new window opens, scroll down the list a bit until you hit USB SETTINGS. Click little square with plus in it, and then click another little square with plus next to USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND SETTING. Check the state of it, and make sure it's set to DISABLED.

Many motherboards also have USB power controls and settings which may underpower a device. It is best to ensure that the settings within your BIOS are not controlling the USB power. On Asus boards, this is often called the USB Initialization setting. It needs to be set to Full Initialization, rather than Partial. Unfortunately, I do not have direct recommendations, as every motherboard has different options available. I would instead suggest you contact the motherboard manufacturer, and ask of available options in the BIOS/UEFI that might fall under that category.

My 'Power Plan' settings for USB SELECTIVE SUSPEND were indeed set to ENABLED, but since my issue has not reappeared since changing to a higher priority USB port, I will reserve this test for later.

There is a second BIOS setting which I can also try, but one thing at a time.

I won't be doing either of these things until / if the problem re-emerges. But in the meantime maybe it will help some of you folk.

Thanks.

For grins I took a look at my BIOS to see if there was anything USB related that might prevent some ports from working all the time or differently than others. Nope. Everything was already set to be "always on" or something along those lines. Nothing should be able to power down because it wanted to. All this BIOS fiddling was after seeing the mouse completely dark when cold booted. Up to this time, the mouse has NEVER NOT powered up from cold. CUE has always been the cause for it going dark. I'm over it.

Archived