Corsair Community

Unstable Corsair Vengeance on 4 DIMMs at Z170

cwirek91

I bought year ago i7-6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming and Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 3000MHz 15 CL (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15). I tried to use XMP (3000 MHz) and it dosn't work. So I left it on default 2133 MHz. I'd say new bios should fix it. And nooooothing.... XMP on latest bios still dosn't work. Pc dosn't boot and reboot after it with default settings (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149795).

Few months ago I needed to buy more memory so i did buy Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz 15 CL (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R).

I put to dimms [ofcourse on default settings (2133 MHz)]:

2x4GB (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15) + 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) - [A1, B1 / A2, B2] - MemTest86 v7.1 with many errors.

2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15R) - MemTest86 v7.1 without errors.

2x4GB (CMK8GX4M2B3000C15) - MemTest86 v7.1 without erros.

So I bought new motherboard Asrock Z170 Extreme 4 (latest bios). MemTest86 v7.1 on 2133 MHz.... And???????????? Same!!!!!!!!! Errors on 2x4 + 2x8. Same situations like before. On 2x8GB or 2x4GB its okey.

But one thing. Finally XMP working! Working on 2x4 + 2x8 too, but on this system and pc is not stable, like an errors on MemTest86 v7.1. On 2x4 or 2x8 XMP working good, stable system, pc, MemTest86 - yeah!.

And now. Why these RAMs dosn't work on full of dimms?! It's not motherboard fault. Tested 2 other and same effect. These RAMs are almost identical - brand, frequency, timings, voltages..., every fu**ing thing, only one difference 1 stick = 4GB not 8GB, sorry, two - other colour...

What can I do. I wanna have good hardware. I didn't buy cheap hardware but expensive and efficient hardware and I wanna have stable system. Do I demand too much?

Did you try overclocking your CPU first? Cause you have to OC your CPU for it to keep up with the RAM speeds.

Wou. I think it dosn't matter. No dependences between RAM and overclocked CPU. It should be works on 4 DIMMs on default clocked CPU. It's identical RAMs! :-/.

I don't know what's wrong with CORSAIR company. Not works RAMs, no helps with problems, no improves DRAM compatibility. I did buy this RAMs only because they are low profile and are compatible with Noctua NH-D15.

• Administrators

These are not identical modules.

Aside from the CPU controller probably not liking the modules of different sizes, the two kits use ICs of different sizes and most likely ICs from different sources (different version numbers on the modules will indicate this).

Mixing memory like this is never recommended, even if the labels are completely identical for both kits (same part / version number). This is one reason why memory manufacturers sell memory in pre-tested kits and have done so for years.

These are not identical modules.

Aside from the CPU controller probably not liking the modules of different sizes, the two kits use ICs of different sizes and most likely ICs from different sources (different version numbers on the modules will indicate this).

Mixing memory like this is never recommended, even if the labels are completely identical for both kits (same part / version number). This is one reason why memory manufacturers sell memory in pre-tested kits and have done so for years.

Yeah ok, but when I purchased pc I didn't think about this. I could buy better CPU and less RAM and later buy more. Still have 2 more DIMMs for future. Now I need more GB and bought same frequency and brands RAMs. I know it couldn't works on another frequency / timings / brands etc. but not on almost same kits. So what's now? Should I send these RAMs to warranty or maybe should sell it and buy new one - 4 modules kits? Its fu**ing mistake... I don't get it.

RMAing the memory wouldn't solve anything. It's best to only have one kit of memory in your system. Do you think you'd need more memory than the 2x8GB kit?

I use virtual machines so I need more than that size.. If you said that, so why I bought motherboard with 4 DIMMs if I cant get more memory. It's no sense. It's only problem with your RAM - RAM of Corsairs. You cheat people. Every other brand kits works well. I don't get. Last time bought this ****.

• Administrators

This is your CPU's memory controller that doesn't like running two separate kits together (different IC sizes doesn't help either). This is not a recommended configuration and hasn't been since the days of DDR1. This is why every memory manufacturer sells memory in pre-tested kits. Otherwise, they'd all just sell single modules and let consumers buy the @ of sticks they need.

As for them not running at 3000 MHz (one kit at a time), I'd suggest creating a support ticket. This could be an issue with the memory, or it could be just that the memory controller won't OC high enough, or other issues.

Archived