Corsair Community

H100 2600k my temps

Nintari

So workign to tweak the heck out of my system I am about there.... but I feel like a lot of people are getting lower temps than I am.... so I'm jealous lmao

Not sure if something might be wrong so I'll try to go over how everything is setup

System specs:

Corsair 650D

MSI P67A-GD65

i7-2600k

Corsair H100

Corsair Vengance 2x 8GB kit

2x MSI 6970 (reference cards)

Sound Blaster X-Fi titanium

LG Blu-Ray Writer

2x Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD RAID 0

1x WD Black 1TB 64MB cache (storage)

Corsair GS800W PSU

Logitech G110 Keyboard

Razer Death Adder mouse

3x Acer 23" G235hAbd for eyefinity

Custom all black Xbox 360 Controller w/ wireless receiver

Black Wireless Wii sensor bar and remote

Hafler P1500 amp with 2 Pioneer s-h153b-k. future speakers will more than likely be JBL 4410 Studio monitors with one of a couple amps I got. Working on re-doing the foam surrounds on the woofers now and painting them black

Windows 7 x64

Current setup on the H100 is a push pull config with 4x Coolermaster R4 Blue LED fans. I have them hooked to the 650D fan controller since they will not work on the H100 controller. The H100 is setup as an intake, in the top of the case. The two coolermaster fans on top pull air in to the case, the bottom two coolermaster fans pull that air through the rest of the way in to the case (so both sets of fans acting as an intake)

Cooling in the case consists of a Coolermaster megaflow 200mm fan at full speed at the bottom front of the case, a 120mm blue led fan in the rear of the case exhausting, and the two 6970 fans are stock so they exhaust air outside as well.

here is a pic of the inside of the case:

(this was when I had the thermaltake fans, they have been changed out in favor of the R4 fans)

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/jschipmann/75bd0624.jpg

here is a pic of an overnight run of prime95 with the 2600k @ 4.6GHz 1.335V 1.65PLL Room temp of 68-70F

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/jschipmann/4-6GHzPrimetemps.jpg

This is with the r4 fans set to low, you can see the peak temp is 72c yet I see people claiming 58-65c with the stock corsair fans at low speed....

The main thing I have done different is I changed out CPUs and replaced the stock TIM, found that Arctic Silver 5 raised my temps by about 5-7c across the board under load even after several days. I re-did the AS5 again with the same results...so I put some NH-T1 (or is it NT-H1) and it dropped me back down 4-5c.

So what are your thoughts on this? What are you getting on your 2600k?

You shouldn't have replace the TIM, It was Dow Corning Thermal Material.

If the R4 fan are connected to the Pump it is recommended you switch it to the molex connectors or 3-pin. And the temps change in different room temperatures. But i think the temps are normal.

had to replace the TIM I changed CPUs

goign to try to replace it again tonight, I did the spread it thin method... goign to try the method in this:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf

but with the noctua TIM

doing a run now to test for stability again at 1.32V and topping out at 69c after 30 minutes

would love to see if I can put the other coolermaster 200mm fan in the top of the 650D as an intake, then the resivior, then two 120mm fans as pull... don't think the bolts are long enough on the H100 though

Your temp problem is due to the CM R4's, and running them at low speed. They are very good fans, but won't move as much air as the Corsair fans will. The R4's max speed is ~1800 RPM, the Corsair's 2500 RPM. The R4's have a very low starting voltage, under three volts, which is not a bad thing, but depending on your fan controller and it's setting, they likely are not moving enough air.

If you like quite PC's, great, but you can't expect to get great CPU temps with fans running at low speeds. When people in this forum are load testing, their fans are running close to or at full speed. It's a worthy goal trying to get the maximum cooling while maintaining low noise, but you can't compare that to people using, say, four Ultra Kaze 3000 RPM fans wide open. If you heard the noise of some of those PC's, you wouldn't be jealous anymore.

no thats what I was trying to say.... people are claiming to be running thier fans at low speed with the stock corsair fans.... and gettting low temps. I just want to sort through the BS of someone loading up prime for 2 minutes and them grabbing the current temp, as opposed to someone actually stress testing thier CPU and running it under full load for stability and peak temperatures.

here are my overnight Prime settings and temps @ 4.8GHz 1.38V 1.65PLL H100, R4 fans push pull set to intake in to case, low speed.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/jschipmann/4-8GHzPrimetemps.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r158/jschipmann/4-8ghzbios-1.jpg

I have the exact setup! Can you post your complete bios setup? Your temps aren’t bad at all, compares with what I get. I suspect some of the claims of low temps and voltages at 4.8-5 GHz are with hyper threading turned off. Kind of non realistic as that basically makes a 2600k the same as a 2500k. Sort of like in my business saying a suppressor is quiet but squirting a shot of water in it before firing to enhance suppression.

My results before my fan controller went bad. RMA to NewEgg. I can run the fans of the MB but figure it should not have went bad so I'll try another one. MSI P67A-GD65/2600K at 4.8 with prime 95 blend is running 66-72-73-69 average with highs of 72-78-80-76 and my idle sits at 41-40-43-42 (ambi 25.5c) on high fan which is pretty noisy. Sounds like a loud microwave. I'm running 1.4vcore and 1.521 dram v's with corsair vengance 1600 mhz 16G. If I laser thermometer my lines their at 32c.

Using my system for business and CAD, but enjoy pushing things to the limit for Sh*ts and Gr*ns!

Have the screenshots of the bios up from the control center. Prettymuch have all the CPU features enabled and raised the vcore

My idles have been good in the 26-28c range which I'm surprised about. The push pull does about the same as the stock fans at high, but I can run the fans lower. I wanted both quiet and performance which is hard to do, hence me constantly tweaking. Just wish I had known before my CPU wasn't as good of an overclocker then I wouldnt have had to change it out and change the thermal paste.

As I said my main point in this post was to hopefully get a good comparison against others and see if people were just running prime for a few minutes and looking at averages or actual peak temps

I have a NH-D14 too and might do a comparison at same speeds to see what I can get, but finding the time is hard to do!

Nintari, Yes, you cannot be sure what conditions the other post's results were done with, plus all the other variables. In my experience with i7-2600k's, once you go above 4.5 - 4.6GHz, it is much more difficult to get those OC's at good temps. I would recommend leaving BCLK at 100MHz, and just change the multiplier, you will not get much from increasing BCLK and it seems to have immediate negative affects.

Again I must say, your fans are different than the Corsair's, and might not have the static pressure the Corsair's do. Also, I read that large fans like the CM 200mm models (which I use in a CM case) do not have high static pressure for some reason. So they might not be a good candidate to use with a radiator.

Personally, I use Scythe fans, they can be quiet and move good volumes of air.

Your temps aren't that bad, but as others have said, I don't think the R4's are good with the H100.

I have my 2600k at 4.5GHz with an H100 and on Prime95 testing, the load temps might hit 60C, but I am running 2x Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP15's on low which have excellent static pressure, so that would be the difference.

My suggestion is to dump the R4's and go with something with more static pressure.

At the time the AP-15s were out of stock when I went to order these, plus at the time since I was broke I had to use my account at tiger direct :D

The R4 fans have the following rating:

Dimension (W / H / D)

120x120x25 mm

Voltage

12 V(DC)

Current (Ampere)

0.35 A

Input (Watt)

4.2 W

Speed (R.P.M.)

2000 RPM ± 10%

Air Flow (CFM)

90 CFM

Air pressure (mmH2O)

3.04 mm H2O

Fan Noise Level (dB-A)

19 dBA

Weight

116 g

Bearing Type

Long-life Sleeve

Fan Life Expectancy

50,000 hours

Connector

3 pin

4 Blue LED

compared to other fans I looked at they were rated pretty well, and the static pressure listed was higher than most otherfans I looked at (combined with dBA VS static pressure vs CFM). However as with anything specs on paper dont always translate to real world performance...

I may still look at the AP-15 later on to get every bit of silence I can out of this system. It's pretty quiet now but far from silent. It was a bit quieter with the thermal take blue led fans but my temps with those fans at full speed were higher and I didnt feel comfortable with 24/7 full load temps at 4.8GHz

Now if I could do something about my 6970 fans without spending a ton I'd be incredibly happy!

The following is a link to my favorite fan review web site, and this review includes the CM fans you are using, among many others. Well worth reading:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/120mm-fan-roundup-2.html

As you will see, you won't be able to find a fan that is much better than your CM's in both air movement and noise.

You may need to go with separate manual fan controllers, so you can more precisely adjust the fans speed and it's noise level to your preference.

Archived