Corsair Community

CM72SD512RLP-3200/S generating 1-3-3-1 beep code

FireGL

I already have two of these working fine in my board (Gigabyte GA-7A8DW) and I picked up four more, planning to use the extra two elsewhere. None of these four DIMMs allow the board to POST, even if I only use one alongside the two that work. Instead I get a blank, uninitialized display and a 1-3-3-1 beep message. All speeds and timings are at auto or BIOS defaults (whichever applicable) and I have no problems with my initial two DIMMs.

The board has Phoenix ServerBIOS 3 Release 6.0 version F2, the latest out. Any suggestions, or shall I begin the RMA process?

All four DIMMs have the same part number in the thread's title (unless that's the model number?). They also all have PC3200R-3330-Z1, maybe that's the part number. All four have CORSAIR 50-00131A silkscreened on the PCB.

The differences come in pairs. DIMMs 1 and 2 have the following lot code: 0415861-0, while 3 and 4 have 0431003-0. Also, 1 and 2 have SAMSUNG 407 K4H560838E-TCCC, while 3 and 4 have 428 in place of 407 and F in place of E.

I'm going to shut down the system now and check the respective markings on the DIMMs currently in use, and will post back shortly.

The ones in the system are:

CM72SD512RLP-3200\S (note the backslash)

0504029-0

SAMSUNG 501 ...E-TCCC

I tried all four suspected bad DIMMs as the only four in the system last night (it only has four slots), and received no beep codes, no display, and no POST. However I'll try all four again, I may have not waited long enough for the POST screen.

Looks like I wasn't waiting long enough. I did indeed get a POST, however I also got a beep code (two short beeps) and the following message on the POST screen:

ERROR

Bad DIMM found in slot:00, node:00

ERROR

Bad DIMM found in slot:01, node:00

Press <F1> to resume, or <F2> to enter Setup

I went into BIOS but didn't see much I could do, so I exited and after the warm reboot I got the same beeps and message again, in addition to a complaint about my floppy drive (I have none). Now I've booted into Windows like this and the system seems to be ignoring the first two DIMMs. Those are the 0415861-0 DIMMs.

Also, Windows wants to run CHKDSK every boot and I can't escape it, but that may not be RAM-related.

I will now try replacing them with my initial DIMMs.

• Corsair Employee
Please try these dims by them selves please and see if the system will post. Many times with server MB's you go to the memory section of the bios for it to see the new memory. Please check your user manual as I have not seen this MB.

I've replaced the two "Bad" DIMMs with my original two good DIMMs and all four are working fine. All that's left is to try these two "bad" ones with my original good ones, and then by themselves. I'll try those and report back.

Thanks very much! For the record I did try the two bad DIMMs by themselves and with my original good pair. In no case did they POST. I have to head out to a friend's but I will be following up on this with your sig'd links tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.

Oddly enough, I popped in the "bad" DIMMs this morning to run memtest. The system POSTed just fine with no beep codes or error messages, and they passed memtest.

Looks like there is no need for RMA after all, everything seems to be working just fine now. Thanks again!

Archived