Corsair Community

New K90 Fail after Firmware Update

phsion

Hi All, hoping to get some help for this keyboard.

I just bought this thing today, played around with it for a bit on my laptop, without installing drivers, and it worked fine. Once I got it home, I hooked it up to my tower, and again, it seemed to work fine. Then, I went online and downloaded the only drivers listed (Beta 2.12). I installed the drivers, updated the firmware, and then the keyboard stopped working completely (No lights, no nothing). Both firmware and driver installer gave success messages, but the keyboard kinda flickered for a bit, then died. I've tried it three different USB ports on my tower, and two on my laptop. I turned off the USB selective suspend on both machines, I've killed all processes, uninstalled everything, tested, reinstalled, disabled/enabled drivers, all the while unplugging and plugging back in the keyboard, restarting the computer, but nothing seems to work. The keyboard software utility seems to indicate that nothing is connected, and the firmware utility gives me "Cannot open USB device, please reinstall driver!". When uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard's driver, if the keyboard is not plugged in, the driver install program gives an error, however the installer appears to work fine once the keyboard is plugged in. When looking at the Device Manager, there are two HID Keyboard Devices in the Keyboards section, the k90 and my backup keyboard I assume. The bad device is under Universal Serial Bus controllers, listed as "USB Composite Device", but flagged with a Yellow icon, and the message "This Device could not start". The driver is a generic from Microsoft. Trying to do a manual update from Update Driver also fails, saying something like "There are no drivers compatible with that device in that folder" (doesn't matter if I choose x64 or x86). Auto driver update just says that the MS generic is the best driver for this device. Uninstalling the device from the manager forces windows to try and install the driver again, once the keyboard is plugged back in, but I end up with the same generic driver. Sorry for the wall of text, but my backup keyboard is an old Saitek Cyborg I'd rather throw out my window than use, so I'm desperate.

Basic system specs: 4 Month old custom job.

Windows 7 Professional 64

MSI P67A-G45

Core i5-2500k

16GB Corsair DDR3

Radeon HD 5770

P.S. Also today, I bought a Logitech G9x mouse. It's working fine, but who knows, maybe there is a conflict, but I have disabled everything Logitech related without any luck.

This really seems like the firmware update mangled the keyboard to me, but hopefully someone can really tell me whats going on.

Thanks all.

Edit: I would love to try pushing an old firmware onto this thing, but can't seem to find any way to do that, or anything to download...any ideas?

Hey, I'm just another user like yourself, not from Corsair.. but I'm a technical minded person all the same...

Are you getting any lights on the keyboard when you plug it in? like the 'M" keys? caps lock etc?

Have you tried removing the usb / chipset drivers and reinstalling them?

To disable the auto Windows driver installation;

Start Menu> type advanced system settings>Hardware>Device Installation Settings>Check "No, let me choose what to do" and "Never install driver software from Windows Update.

This should stop Windows from installing the generic driver. As soon as you Uninstall the device.

As Ardalista mentioned

-Do the L.E.Ds turn on?

-Latest Chipset drivers?

If the L.E.Ds turn on, But you cannot reflash the K90.

Start Menu>advanced system settings>environment variables>User Variables>New>

Variable Name: devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices

Variable Value: 1

Ok>Ok

Open Device Manager>View>Show Hidden Devices>Expand Keyboards, Universal Serial Bus Controllers and Human Interface Devices>If there are faded entries, Right click and uninstall all of them.

Go to

C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore>Right Click "INFCACHE.1">Security>Edit>Click Users(EG-PC/Users)> and click full control.

Delete the INFCACHE.1 file, Disconnect the K90, Plug in a USB device (apart from the K90), once it's done installing, Plug the K90 and see i you can reflash.

Thanks for the help, that's some pretty good advice from standard users.

No, there are absolutely no lights on the keyboard at all. Yes, I've updated everything.

I'll try various things based on what you guys said and see what happens.

I have tried deleting the generic drivers, and then tried to manually install the keyboard drivers, but windows said the keyboard drivers weren't compatible with that device, but your method seems better than what I was doing, so hopefully it works.

Archived