Corsair Community

Before purchasing Obsidian 650D Case

mulkman

Seems most problems vanished with the -1 version of it (fan controller)

Myself and others (how large of a % I don't know) have a bit of a problem with the front fan either being to close to the mesh in front of the intake fan, making some noise.

I love this case so much though, that for the first time in my life instead of buying a new case I'm actually gonna find/buy some powertools and remove the mesh in front of the intake fan and get it off. Switch out the stock fan with a Coolermaster Megaflow.

Negative things with it is basically:

1: The intake fan/mesh in front of it, and it being 20mm wide, which very much narrows your third party choice unless you move the hard drive bays or cut into it.

2: Me personally would like for the left side of the case had a bit more room for cables, now it bulges quite a bit with me. This might be my poor cable management though but I've seen other people "complaining" about it too. (This probably have something to do with shipping though, as just an inch or two would greatly increase shipping costs when you're talking large quantities)

Thats the negative bit for me, the positive bits vastly makes up for it in my opinion.

I recently just finished my 1st built on the 650D however the MB fried so replaced it with the better one GB GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 instead of the UD3 (pictures to come soon)

I had the same issue with the front fan and to be honest there is a buzz but you would really have to listen for it or have the computer really close to you. I fixed it by using a CoolerMaster MegaFlow and moving the HD bay closer to the PSU.

Everything seems to work just fine and dandy in terms of fan noise and layout, which I really happen to like, however there is a flaw in the Corsair layout system.

If you move one HD bay closer to the PSU, the bottom HD tray will not come out due to hitting the ridge of the case and to top it off I'm using a GX850W PSU which is quite big (not as big as a 1200) and comes in quite close to the HD tray.... meaning my man hands don't fit in between the HD cage and PSU to unscrew the two thumb screws...

So to sum it all up, if you go with this setup and have to remove the bottom HD, you will have to:

a) remove PSU (now this can be a pita since the wires will keep the psu in place due to the cable management)

b) take the HD tower rack out of the place and remove or add the bottom HD and do the reverse to mount it all up.

I don't think the HD stand has the appropriate holes to be mounted closer to the PSU and the hole behind the HD bay is not tall enough if this was possible to begin with. I can see a possible issue with the wires back there.

With all this being said I still love this case and the support I got from Corsair. As a matter of fact I switched all components possible to Corsair due to quality and speed of support which Corsair offers. I cant wait for more Corsair products to hit the market :)

Gah, they managed to send me the 5400rpm "Gentle" Typhoon fans instead of the 3000 RPM's, and my new controller was not able to control the fans so I had to put the stock back on the H80. Still waiting for my Gentle Typhoon 1850 fans to swap out with the stock

I did however swap the 200mm on top for 2x140mm Noctua fans, and added the 200mm in the front to the new controller and the sound issue is quite improved.

Still debating with myself whether or not to try and cut off the "lips" off the hard drive cages and if that will give me enough room to swap out the 200mm infront with the 200x30mm Coolermaster fan, or if I have to get a dremel and remove the mesh in the front.

Making it all worse was that the extra 8GB of ram I got today and put it in, and the computer wouldn't boot. (Exactly the same 8GB of ram as I had before) But the screen wouldn't come on when I put them in, so now it's googling time it seems.

if you are going to put a megaflow in I would still cut out the front mesh.

I also cut the mounting points at the back of the fan so I could fit the fan from the outside. No need to destroy the bay or move it back. I'm using all 6 of my bays in stock position with my megaflow in place.

if you are going to put a megaflow in I would still cut out the front mesh.

I also cut the mounting points at the back of the fan so I could fit the fan from the outside. No need to destroy the bay or move it back. I'm using all 6 of my bays in stock position with my megaflow in place.

Cheers for the tip =)

looks like the front mesh for me gathers a lot of dust too, I'd cut mine out if I had the time and tools

It's logical that it gathers dust. It sucks in air through the front. So dust particles will get sucked towards the case. That's why they put a filter on intake fanholes.

@Relifex

I posted the pictures and made a small howto on the 650D pics topic. Somewhere in there you can see what I did. It may be easier if you really see what has to be done to fit the megaflow without moving the HDD-bays

I just completed my build on my brand new 650D and can confirm that the front fan Whine in my case is definitely due to the front metal grill directly between the filter and the fan ( I tested it by removing the fan and restarting my machine when away from the grill there is no noise as soon as i begin to pull it back behind the grill even by a small amount it makes the whining humming noise and the faster the fan the louder it seems. Looks like either spacers to pull fan back slightly(not a huge amount of space between fan and HD cage) or careful use of a dremel/small angle grinder to remove grill.

• 2 years later...

I ordered a Phobya Xtreme 200mm rad and a CM megaflow 200mm

and I was going to just use the original case fan in my 650D case.

I have no idea yet how this is all going to mount, but I had someone

tell me that I should just get rid of the original fan and buy another

megaflow for my push/pull rad config. I just priced it out at

$31 dollars to have it shipped. I can use my ordered fan and

install that and the rad for now, and then just put the not ordered

yet megaflow on the rad later on if you think its good to do.

For the money, is it really going to be worth all the trouble and money

to make all of these mods, or do you think its just ok to use the original

case fan as mine is quiet and seems to work fine. I know its all about

cooling my rad, and Im new to WC, so I need your advice.

Thanks for your help !!!

http://s968.photobucket.com/user/CTguy1955/media/24hourWCperiod_zps14efb921.jpeg.html

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/24hourWCperiod_zps14efb921.jpeg

http://i968.photobucket.com/albums/ae168/CTguy1955/alldone_zps91ee24cf.jpg

Archived