Corsair Community

Nova 2 issue

Gamercosti

Can we please have an official answer on this? I have also bought a nova 2 60Gb (cssd-v60Gb2) firmware 1.0, installed in AHCI@bios with trim/NCQ active and all intel drivers included relevant to the controllers and motherboard up to date

Exact same problems as the ppl above (on a desktop). I have searched the internet for a week and tried every possible thing you can immagine and i cant get this drive to work.. it is UNUSABLE as an OS drive and there is no firmware update from the stock v1.0

-Browser and any other programs will freeze for tens of seconds randomly

-If i copy something big or during instals, the sistem is 90% frozen... almost anything i click has a 50% chance to freeze

Drive is in the intel controller (6xsata2 set to AHCI) Intel matrix storage manager installed

Jmicron controller is disabled and empty

You mention using Intel MSM ( matrix storage ). Please try installing Intel RST ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20215&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng ) and see if that helps. MSM is basically a much older RST. Please ensure that you also have the latest BIOS for your motherboard ( http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P55-CD53.html#/?div=BIOS ).

I don't think RST is going to help much. I've tried with MSM, MS AHCI and RST with and without the LPM registry.

What I'd like to know is how spread this problem is and if there are people who have fully functioning drives.

RST installed... bios updated... nothing changed, still freezes

is this normal? http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7721/capturehff.jpg

im seriously considering throwing this ssd in the trashcan and going to buy 4x500Gb NORMAL hdd's as raid 0 tomorrow, im fed up with this.. not even worth the trouble of returning it. Any ideas will be deeply appreciated... so many ppl with the same problem and no official fix.

• 1 month later...
I have 3 old Corsair Nova 64 drives that are real troopers... But the Nova 2 that I just bought is a PITA. It freezes every day or two, and when I reboot there are no errors in the logs or (thank god) corrupted files. I'm returning it to Amazon for a refund, and I've already ordered an old Nova series drive (refurb) to replace it. No wonder you guys did your best not to disclose that the Nova 2 had a different controller. Geez.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Español:

Me pasa exactamente lo mismo a esta gente del foro... este disco es un desastre, después meses buscando el problema del mal funcionamiento de mi ordenador, di con este foro que refleja perfectamente todo lo que le pasa a mi ordenador, no funciono bien desde es primer día de uso, se colapsaba y tenia bloqueos constantes, pero como era un ordenador nuevo, me costo identificar el problema, hasta que decidí formatearlo.... como es un disco duro SSD, me puse a buscar algo de información por si necesitaba algún controlador adicional para la instalación de windows.... y me encuentro con este foro.... ya no voy a formatearlo directamente lo devolveré y pediré un disco duro sata.... muchas gracias por la información me fue muy útil.

Traduccion By Google Traslator:

It happens to me exactly what these people on the forum ... this album is a disaster, after months of searching the problem of malfunctioning of my computer, I came across this forum that perfectly reflects all that is wrong with my computer, it did not work well since the first day of use, collapsed and had constant crashes but as it was a new computer cost me identify the problem, until I decided to format it .... as SSD hard drive, I began to get some information if you need any additional driver installation for windows .... and I find this forum .... I'm not going to reformat it back and ask directly a sata hard disk .... thank you very much for the information was very helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

just thought I would bump this discussion as it seems to have gone quiet last few days. I got one of these drivers dirt cheap 2nd hand and I knew about the issues with performance anyway before I bought it. Not tried it yet (it won't be my OS drive) as I was going to tinker around with it for games storage.

Just wondered what owners had decided to do. RMA seems pointless if they send you the same drive.

Does it sound like Corsair are doing nothing as a firmware update prob wont fix it ?

I bought two 60 GB Nova 2 drives and have them in RAID 0. I was replacing a pair of Sata2 HDDs in RAID 0 just to see what difference it would make in my gaming environment. When I was installing them, I lost power and the drives went dead (bios would not show drives). The LEDs that are barely visible inside the case near the power conns. were not lighting during POST.

Frustrated, I came to this forum and found Yellowbeards post about the reset procedure for some other drives and thought "why not try it on these ones?". Twenty minutes later the drives were now recognized in BIOS.

Next thing was OS install, and then great dissapointment with what could only be described as data choking and really slow drive performance.

Again came back to forum and read Yellowbeards thread on OS tweaks and SSD optimizations and applied every last one (especially write caching tweaks, disable indexing, turn system restore off, etc..). And just plain old let the drives sit for a bit (overnight) without any back ground file I/Os going on.

One more reboot and it worked!

Pair of cheap drives acting like much more expensive single drive of the same capacity (120GB with SATA3)!

ATTO bench: 520 R 470 W.

Anyway, I was close to RMA and now I am glad I read through all the great posts in this forum and followed some simple procedures.

BTW my drives show a firmware version of 1.1 (not 1.0) like other members here.

Hope this helps some!

I have 4 Nova's, three have had to be replaced within a year and two months. The fourth is probably ready to die, but frankly I'll not do anything with it or the replacements because I can't trust them with my data.

Anyone want a few cheap 64GB SSDs? Three are "new" refurbs.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have registered specially to help anyone who had this as I did.

I hope it helps you as I found this page helped me in part.

Read all of the above posts, especially the revelation about the guy who

bulk bought 2 knowing of issues, and got them working.

Below is in order of what i tried.

Properties:

CSSD-V60GB2 ATA Device

Initially I was very happy, no noise and lightning, but i was setting up and

not using, so only noticed bottlenecks later.

I performed a lot of tweaks, Page file on and off, the windows 7 specific registry tweaks around prefetch(from a famous website).

no, still slow.

I was using a standard Windows 7 64 controller driver, not knowing to upgrade.

To try to help, I downloaded the controller from my motherboards page on A SUS things improved a little but still tempo slowdowns.

Reading above hint about YellowBeard tweak/optim i turned off system restore

I then spotted a post about latest A SUS mobo controller and i went and found a general link to it, going from 2009 version to late 2011 driver.

Seemed to improve significantly. still 5.9 on HD perf on Windows own profiler rating.

Finally I ran the 'free' SS D Tweaker.(i have not restarted yet, as it asks)

Left over night....

It has not frozen all day, yay!

I moved a 1.2 gig file in say 15 seconds from HDD to SDD. Very happy there.

Previously it was ter rible intermittent.

oh, I did not secure erase it BTW.

spec as per my profile, what i am unsure of is the fireware version,

i thought it was 1.0 but i saw in properties it says 1.1, I'm happy to

confirm concrete, under direction, if you contact me.

Thanks to all concerned and esp. 'the beard', I remember 5 points from working at six flags!

Archived