Corsair Community

Corsair Force 60 GT

Banwell

Replaced a generation 1 sandforce SSD with this newer drive.

Did a complete reinstall (as the drive is only an O/S boot drive anyway).

Whilst loading up drivers after install had 1st BSOD. Very fast no warning signs.

Then went the rest of the day without any trouble. I have had odd slow downs while browsing - something I am hyper sensitive to, having lived in a SSD OS environment for sometime now.

Yesterday I had a protracted slow down, freeze then BSOD.

The O/s was installed in ACHI mode.

I've read a lot about the issues and appreciate that many dont attribute the concern to this particular drive. In fact I bought this drive hoping to avoid any issues.

I am on the verge of trying the firmware upgrade (currently on 1.2). But have since disabled ALPM in bios and applied a register fix to the Sata port on which the SSD is located, running latest Intel RST and updated to newest motherboard BIOS (1.90 - which is recommended with RST).

While I am monitoring the situation (this is day 3) I'd welcome any further tips to resolve. Should I just return the drive now? If I wait any longer the retailer wont do a complete swap - just RMA.

Also how come I had zero issues with the Generation 1 sandforce controller? ALPM was enable with that drive and was issue free for 6mth+.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so 10 days since my first issues the BSOD is back.

I run WOW off a seperate folder on the SSD (which also has the OS on it).

Switch between Chars the loading screen freezes. I alt tab out of the game and my system is inaccessible, I alt-ctrl-delete out and windows try and loads some secuirty options. Then the computer BSOD. I get the 0x0000000F4 code.

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: f4

BCP1: 0000000000000003

BCP2: FFFFFA800DC975F0

BCP3: FFFFFA800DC978D0

BCP4: FFFFF80001FD48B0

OS Version: 6_1_7601

Service Pack: 1_0

Product: 768_1

I have zero tolerance for these kinds of issues. Why has there been no support answer to my problems? I have trusted in your product despite the initial issues - now I feel as though I should have returned the drive ASAP.

Okay my woes have gottern worse.

Today my computer freezes on demand - I just have to play world of warcraft and it locks and eventually dies. I can sometimes get into WOW and even log out but then at desktop the computer becomes unresponsive and dies.

In an atempt to rectify the situation I have today already tried a full CMOS clear. So battery out, jumpers set and no power. This did not work. Indeed this seems to have made it worse as when I get back into Windows and run WEI I get an error message that it failed to complete due to driver/hardware error.

I have there decided to give up on this install of Windows 7 and started a fresh install.

To recap I've:-

1. Updated FW to 1.3.

2. Always installed Windows 7 in ACHI mode.

3. I am on 1.9 UEFI the latest manufacturer BIOS

4. Soft (button) and hard reset of CMOS (battery out & Jumpers)

5. Disable Agg LPM in Bios

6. Applied a registery LPM fix

7. Uninstalled and Reinstalled the SSD from device Manager

8. All the above have been done on zero overclocking - all stock settings

9. The drive performance checks out and is lighning fast (when its not freezing)

I am now going to see how I get on with a fresh Win7 install.

Ah the os reinstalled half way through typing the message (i install from USB drive..). Maybe something I'd consider if another install is needed or further down the line.

By the way I use the window 7 install "drive management system" to delete the drive data and partition. I would use SE and partmagic, but only when I am happy everything is working well. Hot plugging drives and secure erasing is not something I like to do often.

• 2 weeks later...

well another week and reliability has been shakey - certainly not what I'd expect from a finished product.

I've had 1 freeze in a game but the drive quickly recovered.

Today just while browsing and listening to music the system froze (checked HD light and it was solid), then the system sort of recovered, but shut down. On reboot it failed to see the drive so I had to reassign it in the BIOS/UEFI.

I am back in windows now - but I can't be having this. Unfortunately no retailer will accept the fault as its so infrequent. So I guess if you have problems like me you are a hostage to new bios/firmware releases. Or a possible Corsair RMA, but seen as though I've had zero response to this thread (possibly as they deny any fault in GT models) it seems unlikely.

Performance is stella but reliability is patchy.

I have a generation 1 SF drive sitting sealed for when this one actually goes up in smoke.

I would not recommend anyone purchase a Gen 2 Sandforce drive.

I had the same drive and a lot of issues with that drive on my system. I ended up having to replace the drive a couple times. The good part is that Corsair really stands behind their products and for me anyway, they went over and above to make things not only right but also to make sure I was happy and had a running system.

Just a few questions though.. When you install your operating system are you doing it as an MBR or GPT? My drive seemed to like the GPT. That was really the only way I could get it to install. But then it would run at SATA2 speeds instead of three.

Also, before even doing the install you may want to do the secure erase. That was the other thing that helped me. It took almost overnight to get it done on my system. I just started it and went to bed then the next day I installed in GPT, making sure that my system was set to RAID on the intel ports and that my DVD drive was set to AHCI and EFI? the latter I forget what the acronym is, but you should have a choice in the BIOS.

That was what helped me get windows at least installed on the drive, then check it with ATTO. If this helps you out, great, if not... If there is anything else I can help with let me know. Also, Corsair does great service so have patience with them and they will make it right.

thanks for the suggestions but it sounds like your problems were much more serious than mine. The drive works excellently when it works. Its these unpredictable failures that are annoying. I like the idea that it maybe TRIM related but it would only be a plausible guess. I have not disenabled TRIM yet.

I can live with the most recent crash. But the one that forced me to reinstall W7 was too bad to live with.

For me the drive is under a protracted running in period. If further issues develop then it gets RMA'd and I go back to SF gen 1. If I find I can live with the odd crash then so be it.

Archived