The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Solid State Drives (SSD)

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 08:26 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 522835
bojzi Reputation: 10
Default Corsair Nova Series 2 60 GB slow multitasking

Hello everyone,

I've recently brought a dead Corsair Nova 64GB to the shop and got a Corsair Nova Series 2 60GB as a replacement.

The (now dead) 64GB model worked flawlessly for 2 months and then died and now I've reinstalled Windows on this new model.

This is where my problems started. The drive seems unable to cope with any multitasking whatsoever.
If I'm installing anything, everything else slows down to a crawl (even trying to open Task Manager, Computer properties, Firefox, whatever).
I can reproduce this error by just having a large file copied to the SSD and the system basically comes non-responsive.
It seems as I'm not the only one with this problem:
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=97202
http://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=97342

What I've done until now to try and remedy it:
- reinstalled (with Secure Erasing it every time) 5 times
- install Intel's RST drivers and apply the LPM regedit
- image the disk, Secure Erase and then put the image back
- follow the guide for SSD optimization from this forum
- replace SATA ports, try and use the JMicron port instead of the usual Intel one

The drive works great while it's not multitasking, and my ATTO scores seem to prove it (http://i.imgur.com/X1KiI.png).
AHCI and TRIM are enabled (Windows installed normally with AHCI enabled).
Also, the previous drive worked flawlessly and no hardware change was introduced in the meantime.

My system specs:
Motherboard: Asus P5B
CPU: Intel Core2 DUO E6650 @ 2.33GhZ
Memory: 4GB DDR2 667
2 other HDDs: Hitachi and Seagate 7200 platters
GFX: Ati Radeon HD4350

I'd really like to see if there is any way to remedy this, of course other than having to bring it back to the shop again and reinstall my system every few days.

Last edited by bojzi; 08-25-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Jugsta's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523032
Jugsta Reputation: 10

Just joined to say that I also have the same exact problem. It also seems sluggish when installing directx files and C++ files. For most other things it works great. My sequential times are around 240 Read and 80 Write. Not really what was advertised but I would be cool with it if multi-tasking was better. HELP!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523133

RAM Guy or Yellowbeard? Any input on this?

I'm seeing another thread on this same issue just popped up: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98128 although it seems like it's the Force drive (because of the GT designation).

At least knowing that this issue was forwarded to someone in Corsair who could look into it would mean a lot.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523175

I think I'm on the verge of a remedy here. :)

I've already tried switching the SATA cables with the other drives but now I've got a brand new SATA cable that came with another computer and that SATA cable has an inscription saying 6Gb/s. And, what do you know - after switching for the new cable, it seems like the system's behaving better.

The only problem now is that I've already installed everything to the platter drives and moved my Users folder and Firefox profile to those platter drives. So, now I'll have to try uninstalling and reinstalling programs to the SDD and see if the problem really did go away.

EDIT:
Nope, unfortunately it didn't help. :(

Last edited by bojzi; 08-26-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Old 08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
muk365's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523223
muk365 Reputation: 10

Hi

Exactly the same problem, disk do not seem to be capable of multitasking, what a shame in 2011. I bought a ssd to improve performance and gain some time, and i'm thinking of reinstalling the OS on an SATA drive and return this @@@@ to shop where i bought it.

I tried almost everything, ACHI on/off, driver update, change port, change cable, nothing seems to work.

so if anyone has an idea, it would be very nice to share it.

Thanks
(sorry for my bad english)

Config:
Gigabyte EP45T ds3R
4 Go Corsair xms3
core 2 duo
1 To Western Digital
W7 64 bits intégrale

Last edited by muk365; 08-26-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: adding config

Old 08-26-2011, 03:36 PM
muk365's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523261

And in addition to that i have another question :

What is the controller on this nova series 2 because i have many names and never the same ;) ?

Because maybe a firmware update could help ?

Thanks

Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523401

Yeah, that's what strikes me as odd too. Why didn't the Nova series get any firmware update ever?

Well, until Yellowbeard or someone gets to us, these are the steps that I've done to at least get a decent functioning system (that would probably function as good as this while on a 2 HDD system, but oh well). Notice that HDD refers to my second drive, a platter:
- moved the temp folders to the HDD (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-a76c0b450818)
- installed all aplications on the HDD
- moved mi Windows profile folder to the other drive by using junctions (http://www.starkeith.net/coredump/20...another-drive/)
- moved my pagefile to the HDD

Actually, to sum it all up - I keep only the bare minimum on the SSD, not even my user profile folder (where My Documents, My Music etc. are stored) is on the SSD. That way I lose all the benefits of faster launching applications but get back normal system behaviour because the SSD is pretty much used only for reading data.
I know that it's not a good solution seeing as I would LOVE to start my applications from the SSD and have everything start up in a second or two but I still hope that someone will notice this topic and give us at least some advice? Yellowbeard? :)

Old 08-27-2011, 03:04 AM
scorpionro
scorpionri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523404
scorpionri Reputation: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to scorpionri

AFAIK it uses a Phison PS3105 controller, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM
muk365's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523493

Ok thanks bojzi, i was thinking the same but i tried another method. I re-install my OS on SATA normal drive and i use the ssd for gaming. Obviously no increasing perf for my OS but it's quite good for gaming. I think (not sure) that's a great gain of performance because it allow me to play in HD on deus ex and i couldn't do that before.

So yes if there is a solution i'm quite interesting in it, but for now i'm ok (obviously i'd preferred to use my SSD for my OS but i think it's impossible in my case ... for now;)

It's probably due to the controller and a firmware update would be nice, if we can know what it is exactly.

I always was an happy customer with corsair, but red flag on this one, because it's not fair to sell something without telling what's in it, and secondly a disk that cannot do multitasking better than a sata 1 drive is a complete waste of money in 2011.

So i keep this config for now but i'm very disapointed in this case because it has been 10 years since i bought a computer part that doesn't work.

Bye

Old 08-28-2011, 04:21 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 523591

Reporting in for three reasons:

1. I wrote to Corsairs customer support service via their website - I'll let you know when, and if, they get back to me.

2. After leaving the computer running while logged off for a couple of nights, my ATTO scores keep getting better: http://i.imgur.com/dil2S.png
I think that that should be proof that TRIM is working and I hit the advertised speeds. The only problem still is it's inability to cope with multiple writes and/or reads.

3. To BUMP this up a little bit. :)

Old 08-30-2011, 07:46 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 524087

No reply from Corsair yet... :|

Any news here?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:48 AM
muk365's PC Specs

POST ID # = 524116

Nope sorry still doing fine by putting the OS on another drive, i agree it's not the best solution but i haven't many time to deal whith that. I hope you found (or maybe corsair itself) a solution to that but i doubt it without any controller update.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:15 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 524326

I've got an answer from customer support and unfortunately it's the same advice that are all over this place (reinstall after secure erasing, BIOS/SATA drivers...). :|

Old 09-01-2011, 02:51 AM
scorchedbee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 524576
scorchedbee Reputation: 10

i to am having this problem.

1st nova2 60gb i got was doa.

Now this one wont write above 50mbps. been looking all over for a solution but feel the best bet for me would be to return the heap of junk and go get a ssd with a sandforce controller maybe?

Really NOT happy with corsair or this ssd!

Old 09-01-2011, 04:22 AM
bojzi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 524584

I just went throught Customer Service with RAM Guy and unfortunately it's RMA. I have to say that Corsair's Customer Service is very nice but I hope that my problem will be sorted after this RMA.