Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 03:59 AM
bradmax57's PC Specs

POST ID # = 520327
bradmax57 Reputation: 10
Default H100 Pump noise

This thread has run its course and as such is now closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wired
Update: July 3rd, 2012
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107252
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
This was just released from the Cooling Product manager about the Noise issue with some of our coolers.
Quote:
“Corsair has now tracked down and fixed a rare and hard to reproduce issue on some of our Hydro series coolers, specifically the H60, H80, and H100 when used in combination with certain power supplies in certain circumstances. The failure will present itself as a buzz or hum, similar to a hard drive seek noise, and may disappear and reappear at random times. This issue affects a very small number of units, and typically is more prevalent on power supplies that provide higher than +12.2V on the +12V rail, which explains why some users have experienced multiple units with the same issue – they’re plugging them into the same power supply.

Regardless, this has since been corrected and we are now shipping units that do not experience the issue. If you’ve got a noisy H100, H80, or H60 unit, and the noise is coming from the pump (not the fans), we’d like to offer you a selective RMA. Please email us at https://corsair.secure.force.com with the subject line “Hydro Series Buzz” and include your name, phone number, shipping address, and email address. We will contact you to start a replacement with a known good unit.

Thank you, and we appreciate your patience as we corrected this issue. “

Original post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57
Hi Just got a H100 and im pleased with the performance, im debating using fans off a fan controller to get a better fan speed balance as when one quiet setting they are quiet medium and high are unbearable to me :)

The main question is how audiable should the pump be, its a noticable buzz I have, its not unbearable but definately noticable over the 7 case fans I have installed

Last edited by Wired; 07-03-2012 at 06:45 PM.

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM

POST ID # = 520334
Einhard Reputation: 10

Hi,

its same to me. The pump ist noticeable over six Everest Cluster@700rpm.

Einhard

Old 08-15-2011, 01:37 PM

POST ID # = 520433
139sroberts Reputation: 10

Had my H100 a few days now and I am experiencing the same thing.

The noise is definitely coming from the pump and it is very audible, much more so than the fans. It sounds like a hard drive read/ write, but constant.

Any way to quieten the pump noise? Thanks.

edit: I should note that the cooling performance is fantastic. But the noise is doing my head in more and more!

Last edited by 139sroberts; 08-15-2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: more detail.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:13 PM
bradmax57's PC Specs

POST ID # = 520465
bradmax57 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 139sroberts View Post
Had my H100 a few days now and I am experiencing the same thing.

The noise is definitely coming from the pump and it is very audible, much more so than the fans. It sounds like a hard drive read/ write, but constant.

Any way to quieten the pump noise? Thanks.

edit: I should note that the cooling performance is fantastic. But the noise is doing my head in more and more!
Glad its not just me or my ears, sounds the same as me, im guessing the button only controls the fan speed and isnt anything to do with the pump then.

Again the same as you the performance is great, ive managed a 5ghz stable overclock on my i7 2600k which I couldnt do before, although it needed around 1.5v which isnt great for 24/7 having said that load temps didnt seem to go above 68C and thats using the stock compound.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM

POST ID # = 520474

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradmax57 View Post
Glad its not just me or my ears, sounds the same as me, im guessing the button only controls the fan speed and isnt anything to do with the pump then.

Again the same as you the performance is great, ive managed a 5ghz stable overclock on my i7 2600k which I couldnt do before, although it needed around 1.5v which isnt great for 24/7 having said that load temps didnt seem to go above 68C and thats using the stock compound.
No its not just your ears, i have had all the fans off completely to isolate the noise, and I can confirm it is the pump (the main head unit).

I have 4.1 ghz on my i5 750 with a vcore 1.37. With this cooler with fans set to low i get avg temps of 42 C. Med setting and i get high 30's - excellent. The fan noise on balanced is perfectly acceptable to me.

I am using the stock corsair fans to "push" air onto the radiator and out the top of my Fractal Arc Midi. I am so pleased with the performance I am not going to bother getting additional fans for push/pull.

But that damn noise.. I hope there is a solution I really don't want to return the H100.

Last edited by 139sroberts; 08-15-2011 at 02:38 PM.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM
RipTheJacker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 520483
RipTheJacker Reputation: 10

I have the same problem on the H80. Im pretty sure it wasn't like this when I installed it. It was fine for a week and now its making this noise, as you describe, like a constant hdd read/write.

Out of interest if you turn your case around 30 degrees or so is the clicking less audible?
Mine is better with the case on its side but of course I cant leave it like that.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:56 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 520488
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Are you sure its not just some air trapped in the pump, have you tried moving the system around while its running?

Last edited by RAM GUY; 08-17-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:03 PM

POST ID # = 520497

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipTheJacker View Post
I have the same problem on the H80. Im pretty sure it wasn't like this when I installed it. It was fine for a week and now its making this noise, as you describe, like a constant hdd read/write.

Out of interest if you turn your case around 30 degrees or so is the clicking less audible?
Mine is better with the case on its side but of course I cant leave it like that.
That's interesting, if I lay my case on its side the noise is still there, but certainly quieter. Using the constant hdd read/write sound analogy again, with the case on its side, the sound appears slower and somewhat quieter, albeit still audio-able over the fans on balanced.

Confused

Old 08-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 520500

It may just be some air in the pump then and should work it self out over the next few days.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:07 PM

POST ID # = 520501

Quote:
Are U sure its not just some air trapped in the pump, have you tried moving the system around while its running?
I have just 'cradled' my case like a baby and swayed it back on forth a few times (with the system running). It hasn't made any difference.

Does that mean it is not air in the pump? For your information the sound is very consistent.

Thanks.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 520505

If you lay it on its side and the sound changes then it is likely some air but I would give it a few days and see if it subsides if not then you can always request an RMA and we can replace it. but the pump will not be totally quiet but should not be so loud you hear it over the other fans in your system.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:14 PM

POST ID # = 520511

Quote:
If you lay it on its side and the sound changes then it is likely some air but I would give it a few days and see if it subsides if not then you can always request an RMA and we can replace it. but the pump will not be totally quiet but should not be so loud you hear it over the other fans in your system.
Thanks - i understand the pump won't be totally silent but at the moment it is very much louder than the fans! I am happy to give it a couple of days and report back.

Thanks again.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:44 PM
RipTheJacker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 520518
RipTheJacker Reputation: 10

Quote:
It may just be some air in the pump then and should work it self out over the next few days.
I ran mine on its side for an hour or so over the weekend but the noise is still there. Maybe I'll take the cooler out and give it a few gentle sways.

Old 08-15-2011, 04:06 PM
jamiee's PC Specs

POST ID # = 520526
jamiee Reputation: 10

One thing to check is to make sure all your fans are tightened down well.
I've seen/heard a very slightly loose fan make a vibration and thus produce a buzzing type of sound, many a time!

Make sure all your screws are nice and snug

Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 PM

POST ID # = 520527

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiee View Post
One thing to check is to make sure all your fans are tightened down well.
I've seen/heard a very slightly loose fan make a vibration and thus produce a buzzing type of sound, many a time!

Make sure all your screws are nice and snug
That's a good point but sadly that is not the issue with mine. To test the theory I have turned off all of the case fans and the H100 fans keeping just the pump on. The noise was still there, coming straight from the head unit.

Closed Thread