Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator GT or Vengeance DDR3 RAM for my Sandy Bridge based setup?

Junebugman

I'm building my first computer and I've decided to buy the ASUS Maximus IV extreme and the i7-2600K processor. However I'm slightly confused as to which corsair memory to get. I've heard rumors on incompatability with Dominator GT for the Sandy Bridge processors and that Vengence should only be used. However I can't find anyone to confirm this. Also another thing is the motherboard I decided to get doesn't support 2000mhz memory and that was the speed I was planning to get. I learned that I should either get memory rated at 1866mhz or 2133mhz for compatability.

So my question is for the i7-2600K do you recommend GT or Vengeance for use with it? Also is there any real difference between 1866 and 2133mhz for it? Because I do plan to overclock my system and I would like to purchase ram sticks that are known for being able to do so. Kinda the reason why I'm going with Corsair memory lol

From what I've heard the bulk of OCing on this platform is just the multiplier. Get Vengeance for compatibility (1.5v), GTs for crossing your fingers with this platform :)

How's the heat control with vengeance over the GTs? One of the reasons I'm a fan of the GT line is the heatsink on top of each sink and the fact that every set comes with the airflow II fan. Is that heatsink or whatever it's called on the vengeance sticks really make a difference? Also would it be compatable with the Airflow II fan? I mean in clearence? Since I'm planning on overclocking having that Airflow II fan seems like a good idea as I need as much cooling as I can squeeze out.

I'm building my first computer and I've decided to buy the ASUS Maximus IV extreme and the i7-2600K processor.....

Junebugman,

Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011, I called a local computer parts store to bargain for a combo deal

on an i7 2600K plus Asus mobo. The salesperson on the phone told me that all of their

motherboards for the i7 second-generation and i5 second-generation processors were

recalled from their store (regardless of manufacturer). He said replacements for the

motherboards would not likely be available for 6 months or more, but that the Intel

second-generation processors themselves could still be bought.

He said the reason for the recall was the Intel chipset used on the boards, and that the

failures were causing hard drives and other SATA devices to fail.

Friday, I checked the Intel site and saw a Jan. 31 alert saying the Intel series Express

Chipsets can degrad and affect SATA connected devices.

Friday, it said, "Intel has corrected the design issue, and has begun manufacturing a new

version of the support chip which will resolve the issue. The Sandy Bridge microprocessor

is unaffected and no other products are affected by this issue....The only systems sold

to an end customer potentially impacted are Second Generation Core i5 and Core i7 quad

core based systems."

They expect to begin delivery to their customers (board manufacturers) by late February.

For more info see:

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-032263.htm

As for delivery to the motherboard manufacturers, it's what the monkey said when his tail

got caught in the lawnmower . . . "It won't be long now"

As for when the new mobos are available for end-users would be anyone's guess. :confused:

I was considering the i7 2600K, but that changed quickly to the Intel i7-950, an Asus

Sabertooth X58 mobo, and Corsair Dominator (3GB x 3) memory.

You might look into whether you want to continue with your present plans which may involve

an extended wait for a replacement motherboard.

Yes yes I know about the bug. However I'm still writing down the parts I will buy, so by the time I will phyisically have them in my hands will be a few months down the line. For now I'm looking for RAM that will support the Sandy Bridge. I've read that GT is at 1.65v while Vengeance is at 1.5v Does that really make a difference? Because at the same time I hear people are using i7 and i5 2xxx models with the GT ram. I'm just basically looking for high speed ram, 1866 or 2133mhz that I could have enough headroom to OC and even tighten the timings.

Archived