Corsair Community

Compatible modules for Intel D102GGC2 mobo?

raynebc

After buying TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX and finding they can't run in pair on my mobo, (either faulty or incompatible by design), I have been trying to find the fastest memory that will work for my system.

Before anybody asks me to use the configurator, let me state it does not list this motherboard, I have to search for it as an eMachines T5082 Desktop, and even then, it only lists a few of the Value Select modules, and doesn't encompass of good list of all compatible Corsair modules.

Some quick information on this board is that with the most updated BIOS, it supports modifying a few memory timings, but will not let the voltage be changed from 1.8v. The motherboard documentation says it will support dual channel.

It has been suggested to me that TWIN2X2048-6400C5 would work for this motherboard, but I have read some unsavory reviews on TWIN2X2048-6400, so I was just hoping to get some input from people who know for sure which memory modules will work very well, not so well, or not at all. Thanks in advance for your help.

If you do indeed have a eMachines T5082 Desktop, then that is what you should search for in the configurator, and not the motherboard. I would only purchase what is listed on the configurator, as most OEM systems do not give you the necessary settings in the BIOS for the memory to be set up correctly.

On the other hand, if you got an Intel D102GGC2 motherboard as part of a "build-it-yourself" system or a system that's custom-built by a mom-and-pop shop, then it's still best to follow the recommendations for the eMachines T5082. This is because none of Intel's lower-end motherboards have any provision at all whatsoever to manually adjust the DIMM voltage. Plus, the AMD/ATi Radeon 200 Xpress chipset that's on that motherboard officially supports only up to DDR2-533 (PC2-4200) memory.

Officially, ATI won't let the memory controller underclock the memory like it would be expected to? That really sucks... Guess I'll go with the Value Select then. Thank you for your help.

Actually, the DDR2-800 (PC2-6400) modules should downclock on that Intel-made motherboard. The trouble is that their memory slots put out too little voltage for the enthusiast-level XMS2 series modules (and, by extension, TWIN2X series kits), which often require a higher-than-standard DIMM voltage in order to work reliably. I believe that Intel runs the DIMM voltage on its motherboards' memory slots at a slightly lower than JEDEC-reference spec (1.75V for Intel DDR2 motherboards, versus 1.8V for the JEDEC spec) -- and the Intel's memory slots just can't quite cut the mustard with even the C5 DDR2 XMS2/TWIN2X series memory. (Intel-made motherboards also run their CPUs at slightly lower clock speeds than their nominal clock speed rating; for example, a Core 2 Duo E6750, running nominally at 2.66GHz, would run at only about 2.65GHz on an Intel-made motherboard.) It's this undervoltage which is killing enthusiast-grade memory prematurely (similar to a person starving oneself to death).

I went ahead and bought the Value Select Corsair memory because I don't want to have to worry about whether it will work or not.

My friend has a stronger motherboard, but it is also Intel and its documentation also states it only supports a memory voltage of 1.8v. I don't know whether or not Intel is actually failing to provide the 1.8v it's supposed to, but the problem is, Corsair doesn't seem to make Value Select that runs at DDR6400 (unless I missed it). Which 1.8v dual channel DDR6400 kits does Corsair offer that are guaranteed to run on most/all Intel motherboards that claim to use this kind of memory? If I need to, I can ask him for the exact motherboard model.

Alright, I installed the VS2GBKIT533D2 kit, and my computer recognizes each GB stick as 4-4-4-12 at 533MHz. However, it is only running in single channel mode.

I'm going to email Intel to find out for sure if this motherboard does indeed support dual channel. Crucial's memory configurator claims that it does support dual channel. Other sites strewn across the web are completely split on the issue. Can anybody here tell me if and how I can configure my system to run in dual channel mode?

Thanks for your assistance.

Alright, I installed the VS2GBKIT533D2 kit, and my computer recognizes each GB stick as 4-4-4-12 at 533MHz. However, it is only running in single channel mode.

I'm going to email Intel to find out for sure if this motherboard does indeed support dual channel. ********'s memory configurator claims that it does support dual channel. Other sites strewn across the web are completely split on the issue. Can anybody here tell me if and how I can configure my system to run in dual channel mode?

I've just took a look at some other sites (whose name I don't know offhand). That motherboard, with only two DIMM slots, is single-channel only: The D102GGC2 uses an RC410 North bridge, which does not support dual-channel memory controller operation.

• 1 year later...

the e machine bios is not the latest bios on the MB.

please go to intel's website and update your bios.

TWIN2X2048-6400C5DHX works fine on mine. both stick 2gig

how ever the north bridge only let you be a single channel.

as a bonus. you can up the clock speed from 533 to 677 with new bios.

• 3 weeks later...

I have this motherboard too and i want to know if its possible that it supports a configuration of 2x2GB = 4GB as i saw in some forums or even support "Core 2 Duo" or "Core Duo" processors i appreciate if anyone could help since right now i dont have the modules to test them and i want to know if someone have done it like the first poster of this thread.

Thanks in advance

Archived