Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > General HoH Stuff > General Questions

Old 04-01-2007, 12:17 AM
To Admit Defeat, Press 9
twiSted1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 289725
twiSted1 Reputation: 10
Default Melting Memory Sticks?????

EVGA has some news http://www.evga.com/articles/350.asp

is there any truth to this? from what i see 2.4V is on the 6400C3DF, 8888C4DF, and the 10000C5DF but this is only for the EPP speed profiles... for the tighter timings.is this voltage going to damage the sticks with longterm usage? cos i and alot of online gamers i know play for hours sometimes...are we cooking our memory? have you guys at Corsair heard anything about this? according to EVGA this info has been shared with manufacturers... RAM GUY please advise... BFG has heard nothing on this subject and that crap from evga is so vague, they dont say what ram or what kind of problems? it sounds like a disclaimer to avoid rma's and fingerpointing at the dimm's manufacturer.

Last edited by twiSted1; 04-01-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 289866
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

We have heard about the issue but all I can say is we have not seen the problem in our Lab. I will let you know if anything changes.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Hardware Junkie
GunslingerOCS's PC Specs

POST ID # = 289884
GunslingerOCS Reputation: 10
Send a message via MSN to GunslingerOCS
Default 2.4v Ram

I am curious what Corsair's take on this announcment is? http://www.evga.com/articles/350.asp
I have 4GB of Dominator PC8888, that is affected by this. Will I be RMA'ing every time a DIMM starts to fade? How long will Corsair put up with this?
Old 04-02-2007, 03:15 PM
Corsair Product Guru

POST ID # = 289900
RAM GUY Reputation: 10

Here's what we have posted on the EVGA forum in response:

* We worked closely with Nvidia on the launch of this platform, and have been working with them to determine what's going on here. We were not directly involved with their tests, and can't either endorse or criticize their method or results. But we certainly commend them for the effort that they have expended here.
* Since the 680i was launched, we have shipped many thousand overclocked parts, all of which are overvolted to some degree. The vast percentage of these (in the high nineties) are still at work in customer systems. And this is the case whether the parts are spec'd at 2.1V or they are spec'd at 2.4V. Return rate on all these parts is very low, and was unchanged by the introduction of Nvidia's 680i.
* Certainly, we are all aware that you can blow up a RAM by giving it too much voltage. It's one ot the risks we all recognize with overclocking. But that doesn't stop us... ;-)
* We try to give the community what they ask for. Our customers ask for fast parts, and that's what we work hard to produce. We spend a lot of time and effort testing and qualifying a part before it is launched - and we stand behind it 100% once we offer it to the market.

This should cover your concerns and applies to all of the recent overvoltage topics revolving the 680i platform.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:00 PM
To Admit Defeat, Press 9
twiSted1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 289954

as long as there is no warranty issue i have no probs...
Old 04-03-2007, 12:54 PM
priyajeet's PC Specs

POST ID # = 290005
priyajeet Reputation: 10
Thumbs down eVGA says 2.4V on modules = death of RAM. Whats up with Corsair trying to fry ram?

"NVIDIA has investigated end user reports of high performance DIMM failures on the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI-based platforms. During this process we have been in close contact with DIMM manufacturers and the DRAM manufacturers they rely on to understand the failure scenario. By working with our community, we believe that the observed failure is a breakdown of the silicon in the DRAM caused by the prolonged application of 2.4V on the voltage rails of the DIMMs.

NVIDIA’s own internal testing has observed this failure on multiple motherboards using different chipsets (both NVIDIA and non-NVIDIA chipsets). This issue is not directly related to motherboards using the NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI MCP or other chipsets.

If you are using this type of memory and are experiencing this issue, NVIDIA recommends contacting your memory manufacturer or system manufacturer for additional information and warranty information." - eVGA (offically from Nvidia)

Why is corsair doing all this 2.4V advertising when their memories are burning out.

My PC 10000 modules burnt out at their "default" ratings.

Do I get my 700 bucks back because I cannot run these modules at their stated ratings?

Last edited by priyajeet; 04-03-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:14 PM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 290008
Wired Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyajeet
Why is corsair doing all this 2.4V advertising when their memories are burning out.
You didn't read that article, or are assuming something that wasn't stated in it. Nowhere in that article did they state that this was attributed to a specific memory company, namely Corsair. There's no information as of yet from anyone to say that this is causing a higher than normal failure rate in memory modules. Yes, I'm talking about for evidence, not heresay or gossip.

Quote:
My PC 10000 modules burnt out at their "default" ratings.

Do I get my 700 bucks back because I cannot run these modules at their stated ratings?
If you're having memory issues, please post a new thread in the Warranty Questions forum with your exact part #, a thorough description of what is going wrong, and if you were able to run Memtest on it, what the results were.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 04-04-2007, 01:52 AM
To Admit Defeat, Press 9
twiSted1's PC Specs

POST ID # = 290132

whoa, didnt mean to cause a commotion... i saw something on the web about memory at 2.4V and since i only have Corsair i asked them if they had heard anything. i pointed fingers at no one. not like EVGA, nowhere in that stuff does it say what manufacturer of ram, what speed or anything other than 2.4V. then they say the problem is dimm failure, and by working within their community theyve determined its not their fault? LOL or is it that so much memory isnt working with the EVGA mobos? then the Nvidia disclaimer stating its happening on all other mobos too? a little vague other than its not EVGA's fault? did anyone really read it?

i had little faith in EVGA before this cos i have a BFG 680i and a EVGA 680i and have 2 gigs of 6400C3DF in each. i put them in the BFG, turned it on and whoa..no probs, my EVGA, LOL, wouldnt even post, with some tinkering and a couple of frustrating hours later i solved the problem but i still dont trust that board.

BFG said no prob on any warranty issue cos the 2.4V memory is being run at Corsair's specs. im sure there wont be a problem with Corsair...

anyone that "burnt their memory out" at rated voltage should just rma them,not point fingers.

Last edited by twiSted1; 04-04-2007 at 02:03 AM.