Corsair Community

Firmware update to make the H80i GT/H100i GTX Windows Compliant?

red-ray

Is there a firmware update to make the original CL Commander Windows Compliant please? At the moment all CL Commanders have the same serial number of CL-9011101-WW and checking http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998535.aspx it specifies:

USB serial numbers are optional for all other device classes. However, if you implement the serial-number feature, all devices of the same model must have unique serial numbers.

With both installed my SIV (http://rh-software.com/) utility can report both, but because both have the same serial number when I restart the system they get randomly interposed :!:

I have just found a work-a-round :biggrin:, though I have not fully tested it as I don't have the hardware :noooooo:.

Look at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/jj649944%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 which talks about IgnoreHWSerNum so you just need to do what it says :eek:.

Corsair would be smart to have IgnoreHWSerNum in HydroS7289.inf.

I now have an H80iGT and when I tried to do this it did not work for the H80iGT, though it does for the old Commander. This may be down to an issue with the HydroS7289 driver, see http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=796581.

As I feel manually doing the registry changes for might be tricky for some and as Corsair might take a while to address this I extended SIV so this can be done with three mouse clicks :cool:. See http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=793207 and http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=792627 for how I used REGEDIT to do this.

• 4 months later...

Are multiple H100iGTXs supported on the same system?

Is there a firmware update to make the H100iGTX Windows Compliant? At the moment all H100iGTXs seem to have the same serial number of 7289_1.0 and checking http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998535.aspx it specifies:

USB serial numbers are optional for all other device classes. However, if you implement the serial-number feature, all devices of the same model must have unique serial numbers.

If both have the same serial number with more than one installed when the system restarts they will get randomly interposed :!:

The Commander also has the issue of the serial numbers not being unique which I posted about (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135292), but never got a responce.

I was wondering why there are issues with the original CL Commander and when I checked hydros7289.inf spotted:

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C02.DeviceDesc%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C02
%USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C03.DeviceDesc%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_1B1C&PID_0C03

These are the same as the original CL Commander :eek: As a consequence of this when you try and install a CL Commander it will be set to use the hydros7289.inf defined driver rather than HID and will not work. I expect if you remove the driver package and use Device Manager to update the driver then this will resolve the issue. An example of doing this is:

C:\>dism /online /get-drivers /format:table | find "7289"

oem13.inf | hydros7289.inf | No | USB | Corsair Components, Inc. | 10/11/2014 | 3.4.0.0

C:\>pnputil -f -d oem13.inf

Microsoft PnP Utility

Driver package deleted successfully.

What plans do Corsair have to correct this? The two devices should never have had the same Product ID in the first place and there should be a firmware update to correct this. The hydros7289.inf needs to be adjusted to only match Class 255 devices so it gets used for the H100iGTX, but not for the Commander.

attachment.php?attachmentid=22179&stc=1&d=1437393704

attachment.php?attachmentid=21659&stc=1&d=1430724115

attachment.php?attachmentid=21950&d=1434485224

attachment.php?attachmentid=22413&stc=1&d=1438755321

H100iGTX.png.74939d6e8b273cde89580b959e5c8010.png

Commander.png.94357b9823e3c7f34bff6576daf857c1.png

1691686603_oldCommander.png.92039b34ef110137442471296faa5361.png

• 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employee

Red-ray, please keep in mind these are User Forums, not official Corsair Support forums. Not every thread will have us replying.

For this issue specifically, we can report this to the devs but this isn't a big priority in my opinion.

Red-ray, please keep in mind these are User Forums, not official Corsair Support forums. Not every thread will have us replying.

For this issue specifically, we can report this to the devs but this isn't a big priority in my opinion.

Please do not raise support tickets to get bugs resolved. I have edited your original ticket and removed that reference. Corsair Dustin is here to report any bugs found appropriately to our internal tracker. Our tech support team is not the proper channel to do so.

Thank you. Please will you update the thread title to include H100iGTX and H80iGT as these are more important than the old commander. The reason I started a new thread is that I can't change the title of a thread I start. I feel I should be able to.

I am now confused. Earlier you seemed to say I should post on the forum so CD could report the bugs and now you seem to be saying I should not. Please can you clarify this? As CD had not responded to either thread I had no idea if the issues had been entered onto the tracking system.

I too feel the issue with the old commander is not a priority, but it is for all the new devices. My main aim was to make Corsair aware they are selling devices that are not Windows Compliant and they should address this. Had the first post been reported in a timely manor maybe the same would not have happened again with the new devices.

It's almost trivial to do the hydros7289.inf change which should mostly resolve the conflict.

I still feel Corsair need to answer "Are multiple H100iGTXs supported on the same system?", same for H80iGT and I suspect H110iGTX.

• Corsair Employee

Title has been updated.

To answer your question, you're welcome to post about the issues as we will read about them. We won't necessarily answer every single thread as I don't want to waste anyone's time simply by making it mandatory to say "acknowledged."

The other reason why I don't want people addressing each and every single thread is that newcomers to the forum as well as the veterans here shouldn't have to wait for one of us from Tech Marketing for an answer. Our Tech Support team has their own portal which allows them to provide in-depth answers in a quicker turnaround time than us. We don't want to provide tech support here on the forums since it's harder to engage in back and forth discussion (and clutters up the forums too).

Finally, Corsair Link and all products associated with it aren't my product line in Tech Marketing but I can assure you that the team is on top of the issues and Dustin does report everything. The problem isn't a refusal of us to address things but rather resources and project management to address both issues reported here, issues that come up in our test labs, and issues that are a part of the R&D process.

You're a very active user so I can understand both your frustration as well as desire for quick rapid responses. I don't think there is anyone on the team who doesn't know who you are and we all appreciate the work and feedback you provide. Unfortunately, there are always barriers that our users won't see and play a factor into why we can't be quick or assertive with the changes. I help the CUE team out with the HID software so whatever the Link challenges are, I totally understand them and so do the others internally. Eventually things will get better - the gears have already been in motion to make it so with the understanding that things MUST be improved, now and the future.

And yes, multiple coolers (like 2x H100i GTX) is supported in Link.

Thank you for updating the title and OK about CL not being your product. I wish it was as I have far more faith in you than the current incumbent who has stated that he has an "intense desire to ignore" issues.

To summarise I can post issues, there is no way I can know if they have been noticed, will be acted on or when they may be addressed :brick:

Back in September I assumed CL was written by Corsair and a key engineer had moved on which is why there are so many issues with the new releases. I currently suspect CL is owned by CoolIT, Corsair are stuck in the middle and none too happy with CoolIT which is why all the new coolers come from Asetek. I would be far happier if Corsair told me what was happening as we have been told the "next" release will fix things for the past few releases and find it impossible to believe this anymore. I suspect CL will never be reliable unless Corsair start from scratch and implement it themselves. The CL code in SIV is only about 7,200 lines so I don't think it's that big a job.

Having multiple H100iGTX in the same system will randomly interpose them when the system is booted as they have the same USB serial number. The H100iGTX/H80iGT will also fail to pass DTM (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd873575.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) testing.This is not ideal.

• Corsair Employee
Thank you for updating the title and OK about CL not being your product. I wish it was as I have far more faith in you than the current incumbent who has stated that he has an "intense desire to ignore" issues.

To summarise I can post issues, there is no way I can know if they have been noticed, will be acted on or when they may be addressed :brick:

Back in September I assumed CL was written by Corsair and a key engineer had moved on which is why there are so many issues with the new releases. I currently suspect CL is owned by CoolIT, Corsair are stuck in the middle and none too happy with CoolIT which is why all the new coolers come from Asetek. I would be far happier if Corsair told me what was happening as we have been told the "next" release will fix things for the past few releases and find it impossible to believe this anymore. I suspect CL will never be reliable unless Corsair start from scratch and implement it themselves. The CL code in SIV is only about 7,200 lines so I don't think it's that big a job.

Having multiple H100iGTX in the same system will randomly interpose them when the system is booted as they have the same USB serial number. The H100iGTX/H80iGT will also fail to pass DTM (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd873575.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396) testing.This is not ideal.

There is stuff we can't say because of it being a trade secret and there is stuff we can't say because of existing NDA's. I think you're looking for full transparency into product development, which doesn't exist in most industries, much less forums like this with manufacturers where dialogue can exist between guys like Dustin and users like you.

I'm sure you've worked in an industry where on the outside, assumptions can be made where X task doesn't need Y resources when looking in. However, when you're on the other side of the glass looking out, it is much more complex in the dealings that need to be managed to get things done.

There is stuff we can't say because of it being a trade secret and there is stuff we can't say because of existing NDA's. I think you're looking for full transparency into product development, which doesn't exist in most industries, much less forums like this with manufacturers where dialogue can exist between guys like Dustin and users like you.

I'm sure you've worked in an industry where on the outside, assumptions can be made where X task doesn't need Y resources when looking in. However, when you're on the other side of the glass looking out, it is much more complex in the dealings that need to be managed to get things done.

I work as a developer so am a few steps removed from end users and usually there is an NDA so there is no real issue. There are always target dates.

I have the NVIDIA NDA NVAPI (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi) so feel similar with Corsair could be possible.

Thank you for your time.

• Corsair Employee
I work as a developer so am a few steps removed from end users and usually there is an NDA so there is no real issue. There are always target dates.

I have the NVIDIA NDA NVAPI (https://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi) so feel similar with Corsair could be possible.

Thank you for your time.

No, unfortunately, we don't have the resources to manage any type of SDK/Beta Access/NDA Arrangements/etc. with Link.

No, unfortunately, we don't have the resources to manage any type of SDK/Beta Access/NDA Arrangements/etc. with Link.

It appears that Corsair also lacks the resources to keep their word.

We were promised 2/11/15 by Cool Guy, that a release that fixed the largest issues was close. Here we are over 4 months later, and the fixes have yet to arrive. Even worse, nary a peep about when we might get something.

We were also promised that a halfway release of Link would not be made. That the focus was on fixing the product for those of us who purchased. Then it came time to put out the new H80i GT and H100i GTX coolers, that promise was put aside, as Corsair put out a new release that failed to fix the big problems for existing products, yet supported the new coolers.

I'm tired of the lame excuses. Companies who want to get things done, figure out a way. The issue is that this just isn't that important for Corsair, or they'd figure out a way to get this done quickly.

I'd be willing to put a big bet down, that at the 5 month mark, we'll still lack Link software that fixes the biggest issues, like having to edit the registry, fix issues with updating firmware in CL devices, and fix the issues with the LED colors on the H100i. Which Corsair employee is ready to help me get back some of that money wasted on an H100i?

These are really three totally different topics.

1. Given NVIDIA and AMD have GPU SDKs for there not to be a CL SDK seems strange.
  2. For CL Beta releases I feel if Corsair made time CL would be a more reliable utility and Corsair would get fewer RMAs, need to spend far less time pacifying and supporting users after every new CL release that has new and still some old issues.
  3. I have no further comments on NDAs.

• Corsair Employee
These are really three totally different topics.

1. Given NVIDIA and AMD have GPU SDKs for there not to be a CL SDK seems strange.
  2. For CL Beta releases I feel if Corsair made time CL would be a more reliable utility and Corsair would get fewer RMAs, need to spend far less time pacifying and supporting users after every new CL release that has new and still some old issues.
  3. I have no further comments on NDAs.

AMD and NVIDIA are enormous, a substantial amount of their business depends on their GPUs, and AMD and NVIDIA are enormous. So of course they're going to have SDKs. Corsair is small, and as far as we're aware none of our competitors have released SDKs for their products. And finally, a cooler is very different from a GPU. Your analogy doesn't work.

As for CL, this is actually what's going on. I'm unable to share details for obvious reasons, but you would be hard-pressed to find someone more aware of CL's pitfalls than myself, the PM, and the validations team. But it's been clear to us for some time that Link's existing code base is horribly shaky, and it took a while to get buy-in on revamping it from the powers that be. But we did eventually get that buy-in, and that's why things get so quiet on the Link front. We could spend eternity sussing out and patching all the lousy code in the original releases, or bring in a proper team to develop a new version from scratch and focus on that. And that's what happened.

And finally, a cooler is very different from a GPU. Your analogy doesn't work.

Firstly, I said there are AMD and NVIDIA SDKs and there is no CL SDK. This is a statement of fact and I did not make any analogies.

SIV uses both the AMD SDK and NVIDIA SDK. I have also as you know developed code to report and control CL hardware. My assessment is that you are incorrect. NVAPI needs to do far more than a CL API would, but some of the API functionality is almost identical.

An obvious example is increasing the speed of the GPU fan as it get's hotter. This is identical to what happens with a CPU/GPU AIO cooler.

I am unable to go into more detail as this information is NDA.

I would be interested to hear Corsair's comments on http://forums.aida64.com/topic/1596-corsair-link-information/ in which the Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:38 AM states "Corsair said they will roll out a brand new software stack with 3rd party applications support sometime next year" and confirms my deduction.

I am pleased to hear you confirm my deductions about the CL code are correct and even more so that it is being addressed.

And finally, I was hoping for an answer from the development team. I would like to see the CL4 technical overview of the revised architecture being published, just an overview not an in-depth specification.

These last 2 posts are the best news i have read here in a long time.

I really hope we'll have a fully working bug free version of CL soon. Knowing that Corsair has finally decided to trash the base code of CL and start all over with a new software team sounds wonderful. It sure comes a bit late, but it is great news. :nodding:

Many thanks to both of you. One brought up the subject and stirred it up enough for the other one to reveal some great info many of us were expecting for a long time. Great. :praise:

• Corsair Employee
Firstly, I said there are AMD and NVIDIA SDKs and there is no CL SDK. This is a statement of fact and I did not make any analogies.

No, you just said "well AMD and NVIDIA release SDKs so you should release an SDK." They release SDKs for graphics hardware.

You want an SDK but you're not going to get one because there's no reason to produce one.

I would be interested to hear Corsair's comments on http://forums.aida64.com/topic/1596-corsair-link-information/ in which the Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:38 AM states "Corsair said they will roll out a brand new software stack with 3rd party applications support sometime next year" and confirms my deduction.

False, actually. The PM doesn't understand where the dev was coming from with that post, ignoring for a moment that it's a year and a half old.

And finally, I assume the organ grinders have a better understanding of software development and API requirements than the monkey so look forward to the CL4 technical overview of the revised architecture being published.

Watch your tone, you're already on thin ice around here.

It's extremely unlikely that any kind of detailed technical documentation for CL4 will be authored or provided as again, there's no need for it.

• Corsair Employee
It appears that Corsair also lacks the resources to keep their word.

We were promised 2/11/15 by Cool Guy, that a release that fixed the largest issues was close. Here we are over 4 months later, and the fixes have yet to arrive. Even worse, nary a peep about when we might get something.

We were also promised that a halfway release of Link would not be made. That the focus was on fixing the product for those of us who purchased. Then it came time to put out the new H80i GT and H100i GTX coolers, that promise was put aside, as Corsair put out a new release that failed to fix the big problems for existing products, yet supported the new coolers.

I'm tired of the lame excuses. Companies who want to get things done, figure out a way. The issue is that this just isn't that important for Corsair, or they'd figure out a way to get this done quickly.

I'd be willing to put a big bet down, that at the 5 month mark, we'll still lack Link software that fixes the biggest issues, like having to edit the registry, fix issues with updating firmware in CL devices, and fix the issues with the LED colors on the H100i. Which Corsair employee is ready to help me get back some of that money wasted on an H100i?

Link doesn't impact the performance of the H100i cooler. However, if you're not happy with the product regardless, feel free to setup a ticket here at http://corsair.force.com and ping me your ticket number. I can request a refund for you provided you have an official invoice.

Link doesn't impact the performance of the H100i cooler. However, if you're not happy with the product regardless, feel free to setup a ticket here at https://corsair.secure.force.com and ping me your ticket number. I can request a refund for you provided you have an official invoice.

It does impact the performance, because using Link I can't do what I was promised to be able to do. I had an RMA, and decided it wasn't worth the time to box it, pay to send it off, be out the tax and fees to send it off. So I relegated it to another system where it is overkill running in it's stock profile, and I don't even try to control it with Link.

I do appreciate how you try to deflect the post by focusing on one unit, and ignore the rest of the post, where I disclose the promises made and not kept by Corsair, to the majority of your customers.

You want an SDK but you're not going to get one because there's no reason to produce one.

It's extremely unlikely that any kind of detailed technical documentation for CL4 will be authored or provided as again, there's no need for it.

OK. If Corsair do not wish to release one that is fine. The aspect that confused me was that you seemed to be saying that SDKs for Coolers were totally different to SDKs for GPUs.

I asked for an overview of CL 4.

Had I realised the meaning was different in the US I would not have used the idiom and apologise for doing so.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Is there a firmware update to make the original CL Commander Windows Compliant please?

No, there will be no firmware update for any of the devices you have mentioned for individual serial numbers as we have our own internal way of identifying hardware in our software.

The H110iGTX Cooler is also not Windows Compliant as they all have the same serial number of "7289_1.0".

I have also noted that the CL v3.1.5570 driver does not support the H110iGTX.

A version was released a few hours ago that does support the H110i GTX unit.

No, there will be no firmware update for any of the devices you have mentioned for individual serial numbers as we have our own internal way of identifying hardware in our software.

That is not the issue. Corsair have hardware that is not Windows compliant. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh998535.aspx specifies:

Given this I can't see how Corsair ran the Microsoft tests and got the hydros7289.inf signed by Microsoft. I suspect either it's not Microsoft Signed or that test was not run. As I don't have an Asetek cooler I can't really check.

red-ray: WHQL is optional from Window vista and forwards to get the driver signed. But the WHQL seal may not be put on hardware that is not WHQL compliant. As you can see on the packaging, theres only the Corsair Link seal, no WHQL seal ("Certified for Microsoft Windows")

WHQL and non-WHQL drivers use different signing roots.

On Windows XP however, WHQL is mandatory to get the driver signed, as XP do only posess the WHQL root, not the non-WHQL root.

Archived