Corsair Community

On what date will there be a CL that works reliably and reports all my CL hardware?

red-ray

I just tried v2.7.5361 yet again on my ASRock X79 Champion system and managed to get it half working. Currently there are the following issues:

1a) Only one of my two CL Minis gets reported.

1b) Only 1 of my 4 GTX 980s are reported.

2) Only 4 of my 6 motherboard fans are reported and the CPU jumps between 2973 and 1088 RPM.

3) Sometimes when I start CL my H100i does not get reported

4) Sometimes when I start CL my H80 does not get reported

5) The temperatures of my CSMI RAID disks are not reported at all.

6) The temperatures of my USB attached disks are not reported at all.

7) None of the motherboards four ISL6367 PWMs are reported.

8) The temperatures of my 8 x Crucial BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG DIMMs are not reported.

9) My APC Smart-UPS 2200 is not reported at all.

I am 100% sure that none of these are hardware issues as when I exited CL and ran my SIV utility it correctly reported all of the above.

All these issues happen all the time and I am at a loss as to why CL should not report them correctly. I assume all the GPU information comes via NVAPI and when used correctly it's almost impossible to not report all the GPUs and get the correct readings for them all. Given a 3rd party program can correctly report the CL hardware for CL to fail to do this is rather surprising! The CSMI protocol is well documented so CL should report my CSMI RAID attached disks, the same goes for my USB attached disks, DIMMs and APC UPS.

I feel Corsair need to enhance the testing they do of Corsair Link before the Release Candidates are made available.

Given CL does not report most of the sensors on my system I need to use another program to do this, but as CL does not implement a Mutex to interlock access to the CL hardware it is not safe for any other program to report the CL hardware when CL is running. In SIV I check if CL is running and don't report CL hardware if it is, but if CL is started after SIV there are race conditions that mean both could be accessing the CL hardware at the same time. I feel it is imperative that Corsair add support for such a mutex and again propose it be called Global\Access_CorsairLink. CL should also create a mutex called say Global\CorsairLink.exe to indicate to other programs that it implements Global\Access_CorsairLink support and they can use this to safely interlock access the CL hardware.

Using SIV all of the following CL hardware gets reported.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20015&stc=1&d=1417707598

The best I have managed with CL is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20014&stc=1&d=1417707598

Using SIV all of the following get reported. When will CL be able to report all of this information? Is there any way I can get v2.7.5361 to report any of this?

attachment.php?attachmentid=20016&stc=1&d=1417707598

I raised many of these issues before (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?p=734702) but never got a reply from Corsair. Why not? It would be good if I got a reply this time.

1258833009_CLCMH100i.thumb.png.f567021857ab7ddd20dc63220f0e2b1c.png

siv_crl.thumb.png.ff6298cb5b5e7d1339e55da339fdb2eb.png

siv_hws.thumb.png.0a975bd361cbe3251f1bc006561471cf.png

I just tried v2.7.5361 yet again on my ASRock X79 Champion system and managed to get it half working. Currently there are the following issues:

1) Only one of my two CL Minis gets reported.

1) Only 1 of my 4 GTX 980s are reported.

2) Only 4 of my 6 motherboard fans are reported and the CPU jumps between 2973 and 1088 RPM.

3) Sometimes when I start CL my H100i does not get reported

4) Sometimes when I start CL my H80 does not get reported

5) The temperatures of my CSMI RAID disks are not reported at all.

6) The temperatures of my USB attached disks are not reported at all.

7) None of the motherboards four ISL6367 PWMs are reported.

8) The temperatures of my 8 x Crucial BLT4G3D1869DT2TXRG DIMMs are not reported.

9) My APC Smart-UPS 2200 is not reported at all.

1.) Both CL Mini devices will show up on the system tab and can be controlled. In the devices panel only one will show. On the system tab you will have two "Commander Mini Fan 1" devices. The same for temps and the RGB LED. Tested working.

2.) Known issue. CPUID SDK reporting bug. Your software may work due to using the real nVdia and AMD API's. If only CPUID SDK worked as well as the HWMonitor PRO program.

3.) X79 boards tested working from ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI. It is not possible to have every board in existence available for testing. xHCI may be causing a problem with handshake here. Some boards have an option to disable this for testing purposes.

4.) Need more info on your config of this. Works with original Commander.

5.) Not supported. Never was.

6.) Not supported. Never was.

7.) CPUID SDK used for reporting all MB devices. If its not a fan or temp, its not reported in the UI. This is by definition for the product.

8.) Not supported. Never was.

9.) Not supported. Never was.

Your software may interact with Corsair Hardware and work for what you want, but its not the be all end all of software. If somebody wants a wall of text that works. I personally prefer Aida64 for its features and UI. Corsair is not going to stop you, ban you, or delete your posts because its your right to do whatever you want with the hardware and you are helpful in the community. Your consistent requests for a mutex addition that work with your software and others, I am guessing, will be taken into consideration. Expecting a date for when it will be implemented is not going to happen.

If you want to develop a SDK for the items listed above and license it out to Corsair, I am sure you could get their attention. I know somebody at Corsair will have tried your software and know it has the ability to work very well for reporting all the data you could ever want for a system.

1.) Both CL Mini devices will show up on the system tab and can be controlled. In the devices panel only one will show. On the system tab you will have two "Commander Mini Fan 1" devices. The same for temps and the RGB LED. Tested working.

For some reason it will not work for me. Further the AX1500i and two lighting nodes which are connected via the 2nd CL Mini are missing.

What can I do to make this work?

3.) X79 boards tested working from ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI. It is not possible to have every board in existence available for testing. xHCI may be causing a problem with handshake here. Some boards have an option to disable this for testing purposes.

The H100i is connected via a CL Mini. I expect the issues are the same as for H80.

Can I generate and send in some logs to enable Corsair to diagnose these two intermittent issues?

5.) Not supported. Never was.

6.) Not supported. Never was.

7.) CPUID SDK used for reporting all MB devices. If its not a fan or temp, its not reported in the UI. This is by definition for the product.

8.) Not supported. Never was.

9.) Not supported. Never was.

The PWMs report temperatures.

HWM reports my DIMM and UPS temperatures, so I expect the CPUID SDK returns these which is why I expected CL to report them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=20017&stc=1&d=1417713317

Is the CPUID SDK used for disk temperatures? If so have corsair raised an issue in that it does not report RAID and USB attached disk information?

attachment.php?attachmentid=20020&stc=1&d=1417790881

Likewise for only reporting 4 rather than 6 motherboard fans?

Please can you tell me the URL that specifies what is supported?

Your software may interact with Corsair Hardware and work for what you want, but its not the be all end all of software. If somebody wants a wall of text that works. I personally prefer Aida64 for its features and UI. Corsair is not going to stop you, ban you, or delete your posts because its your right to do whatever you want with the hardware and you are helpful in the community. Your consistent requests for a mutex addition that work with your software and others, I am guessing, will be taken into consideration. Expecting a date for when it will be implemented is not going to happen.

The only date I was hoping for is when a corrected CL will be released. When is it expected?

We all have our preferred software. I included the SIV screen shots only to show the issues are with CL rather than the CL hardware.

For some reason it will not work for me. Further the AX1500i and two lighting nodes which are connected via the 2nd CL Mini are missing.

What can I do to make this work?

I don't have I2C devices connected to the second Mini device. I only have one cooler and a PSU connected. Will have to do some more testing on this. I am sure Corsair will start testing for this as well.

The H100i is connected via a CL Mini. I expect the issues are the same as for H80.

Can I generate and send in some logs to enable Corsair to diagnose these two intermittent issues?

Are the two Hydro series devices connected on the same Mini at the same time? There is a debug mode for the software I believe. Let me try to find the thread I thought I saw with how to enable.

The PWMs report temperatures.

HWM reports my DIMM and UPS temperatures, so I expect the CPUID SDK returns these which is why I expected CL to report them.

Is the CPUID SDK used for disk temperatures? If so have corsair raised an issue in that it does not report RAID and USB attached disk information?

Likewise for only reporting 4 rather than 6 motherboard fans?

Please can you tell me the URL that specifies what is supported?

Yes, CPUID SDK is used for most everything. The SDK is not as robust as the HWMonitor Pro is from what I have read/heard. There is no documentation as far as I can find about what is and is not supported with the SDK. CPUID relies on hardware dumps to support hardware. If someone has not submitted it, they probably do not have the registers on file for support. As far as DIMM's and UPS devices, they have never been supported in Corsair Link, along with USB attached storage. RAID arrays should be supported but are not at this time. That might just be the Link code and not CPUID though. I have heard that the documentation for the CPUID SDK is not very in depth.

I would love to see a SDK that relies on the SIV software for license.

The only date I was hoping for is when a corrected CL will be released. When is it expected?

I don't have a date for any new software. Corsair has never really stated dates for new updates. Updates are published randomly when available.

I don't have I2C devices connected to the second Mini device. I only have one cooler and a PSU connected. Will have to do some more testing on this. I am sure Corsair will start testing for this as well.

Are the two Hydro series devices connected on the same Mini at the same time? There is a debug mode for the software I believe. Let me try to find the thread I thought I saw with how to enable.

Yes, CPUID SDK is used for most everything. The SDK is not as robust as the HWMonitor Pro is from what I have read/heard. There is no documentation as far as I can find about what is and is not supported with the SDK. CPUID relies on hardware dumps to support hardware. If someone has not submitted it, they probably do not have the registers on file for support. As far as DIMM's and UPS devices, they have never been supported in Corsair Link, along with USB attached storage. RAID arrays should be supported but are not at this time. That might just be the Link code and not CPUID though. I have heard that the documentation for the CPUID SDK is not very in depth.

I would love to see a SDK that relies on the SIV software for license.

I don't have a date for any new software. Corsair has never really stated dates for new updates. Updates are published randomly when available.

I will see what happens when I try 3 x CL Mini! (one is in the post)

Both the H100i and H80 must connected to the same CL Mini as CL only reports one Mini! If you look at the [Link Status] panel above you should be able to see what is connected to what. Looking at the [ a.b xx ] buttons a is the SIV CL index, b is the Channel index and xx the Channel ID.

I do not have the CPUID SDK API documentation so cannot objectively comment (Maybe I will ask Franck if I can have a copy). Even so failing to report all 4 of my GPUs clearly shows CL was not regression tested. This reminds me CL fails to close down the CPUID SDK driver (CPUZ137) when it is exited.

Clearly CL should work without me needing to develop a SIV SDK! Should I decide to do this it would take a while as when I started I did not design the early code with this in mind. I suspect the SMART, DIMM, UPS and PWM code would be easy enough to move into a .DLL, but the motherboard sensor reporting would take a long time and need a lot of retesting.

I feel the CL development manager should post saying what plans Corsair have to make CL reliable and what target dates the development team have. When will there be a native 64-bit release of CL?

Your consistent requests for a mutex addition that work with your software and others, I am guessing, will be taken into consideration. Expecting a date for when it will be implemented is not going to happen.

It took me at most a couple of hours to add support for the Global\Access_CorsairLink names mutex in SIV so multiple instances would correctly report the same CL hardware. The next day CL++ also had support (http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120092&page=5). Given how long this took for SIV and CL++ I feel that it would be almost trivial for any half decent software engineer to do the same for CL and it should be in the next CL release. The SIV code to acquire and release this lock is below, most of it is reporting errors.

Should Corsair fail to add this support to the next CL release I feel Corsair should explain why they could not do so.

VOID lck_acquire_crl(                   // Acquire the Corsair Link Lock
 CONST    SMV_BLOCK   *smb )           // SIV Master Block
{          ULONG        sts;            // return status
          ULONG        cti;            // Current Thread ID
          TCHAR        twb[  32 ];     // worker buffer
          TCHAR        buf[ 256 ];     // output buffer

if( ( sts = WaitForSingleObject( smb->mhl_crl, INFINITE ) ) != WAIT_OBJECT_0 )
 {
   cti = GetCurrentThreadId();

if( sts != WAIT_ABANDONED )         // unexpected error ?
     txt_output( ( stprintf( buf, TEXT( "Status %d %d for CRL Mutex in Thread %d (%s) @ %s" ),
                                       sts,
                                       GetLastError(),
                                       cti,
                    lck_get_stc_title( cti, smb ),
                    net_get_date_time( twb ) ), buf ), TEXT( "lck_acquire_crl()" ), 0 );
 }
 return;
}

VOID lck_release_crl(                   // Release the Corsair Link Lock
 CONST    SMV_BLOCK   *smb )           // SIV Master Block
{          ULONG        cti;            // Current Thread ID
          TCHAR        twb[  32 ];     // worker buffer
          TCHAR        buf[ 256 ];     // output buffer

if( !ReleaseMutex( smb->mhl_crl ) )
 {
   cti = GetCurrentThreadId();

txt_output( ( stprintf( buf, TEXT( "Status %d for CRL Mutex in Thread %d (%s) @ %s" ),
                                       GetLastError(),
                                       cti,
                    lck_get_stc_title( cti, smb ),
                    net_get_date_time( twb ) ), buf ), TEXT( "lck_release_crl()" ), 0 );
 }
 return;
}

Archived