Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Occidentalis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 623875
Occidentalis Reputation: 10
Default H100i Loose backplate after snug backplate on H100

Hi everyone,

My H100 died (fan control just stopped working one day) and I did an RMA and got a replacement, the H100i. I was very pleased that although I had to wait 6 weeks to get the part due to stocking issues, I was upgraded to the latest hardware revision.

Installing this thing though is making me frustrated. My backplate was very secure on my H100, and this backplate is not secure at all despite the standoff screws being as far in as they will go. My estimate is that the gap is about 2.5 mm.

I know what you're thinking - oh, this has been covered before and dismissed by yellowbeard - a loose backplate is normal- if he just goes and puts the pump in, the thumb screws will tighten the cooler in to place.

Why then was my last backplate so snug? Why is this one so loose? People are reporting that adding rubber washers to the back will fix this issue - sounds like a good fix, but I'd rather have the backplate that I sent back with my H100 that was snug without having to go buy rubber washers.

I'm hoping that I will get an open minded answer to this and not just get dismissed like in the other threads.

Oh, also, the directions have at least one mistake. Check out the attachment. The directions say use H for LGA1155, but then look down to the picture below - H is listed as LGA 2011, the standoff with the different length/diameter screws.

What is going on guys?!? This was so easy and satisfying on the H100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg corsairgoof.jpg (538.2 KB, 938 views)

Did you find this post helpful? Yes | No
Old 01-06-2013, 07:32 PM
j1a1c1k's PC Specs

POST ID # = 623981
j1a1c1k Reputation: 10

I've got the same issue on a H80 i've just received. It's the third H80 install i've done in the past 12 months. I've never noticed the backplate issue on the other 2 installs, but now i'm suspicious that I just didn't check it thoroughly when checking my temperatures.

I'm hoping the other 2 installs are fine but this 3rd install is definitely a problem. I'd estimate 1-2mm movement on the backplate and i'm sorry but no matter what Yellowbeard may say, I have to disagree that tightening the bolts to a loose anchor will fix the problem.

The backplate is the anchor and if that is not 100% firm to the motherboard, any movement in it will transfer to movement on the block. It's such basic physics to understand - slightly annoying that it has been argued blindly that tightening the top bolts will address the issue. It's a bit like saying don't worry even though the ships anchor is a little loose - the weight of the ship will stop it moving. The cooling blocks movement is directly linked with the quality of the anchor (the backplate in this case).

Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM

POST ID # = 623994
NYCMedic Reputation: 10

Greetings,

I'm putting together a new system and also having this issue on a Asus P8Z877 V LK motherboard. When the H100i backplate is placed on to the motherboard... the female threaded posts that go through the holes should sit just about even with motherboard... and then the standoffs I tighten down and fit snggly to the motherboard and the post from the back plate.

What happens on the Asus motherboards is that the post taller then the thickness of the motherboards therefor the post protrudes above the motherboard. When tightening the standoffs, they only go as far as the tip of the posts... which is above the motherboard... so even though the standoffs are as tight as possible... the space from the tip of the post to the motherboard has nothing to fill that void... causing the back plate to be loose.

Im annoyed that I would have to use the basic cpu fan that came with my CPU until I contact and wait for Corsair to send me the proper parts needed so I can properly install the H100i.

So the temporary fix...

Rubber, nylon or metal washers have to be added to the back side of the mounting hardware.

If your going to use rubber or nylon washers, you can use them between the thick black nylon post washers and the motherboard... so basically simply add them to the post before inserting into the motherboard.

If using metal washers... take off the thick black nylon post washers... add the metal washer(s) to the post then place the thick black nylon post washer on top of that. That will build up the back support for the back plate and the posts will now end where they should for installing the standoffs.

Just be sure to use the proper thickness washer(s) to achieve the correct post hight.

Pictures explain...

Picture #1 - Picture of the height of the post after the thick black nylon washer is added. Notice how long the post is.

Picture #1a - Shows the post protruding above the Asus motherboard.

Picture #2 - Shows the post with new added metal washers.

Picture #2a - Shows the post now flush with the motherboard to make a snug fit when the standoffs are applied.

Hope this helps!

@ Corsair... You need to add to the accessory package 4 black vinyl washers... about 1/2 the thickness of the one that comes with the post. It shoiuld be added with the package of fasteners so if those with a thiner motherboard... they can use it if need me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic1.jpg (4.6 KB, 2355 views)
File Type: jpg pic1a.jpg (11.1 KB, 3481 views)
File Type: jpg pic2.jpg (4.6 KB, 3533 views)
File Type: jpg pic2b.jpg (11.5 KB, 3444 views)

Last edited by NYCMedic; 01-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 PM

POST ID # = 624001

Ok... I just used the metal washers... and they worked. The standoffs got scred in nice and snuggly like. :)

So until Corsair sends me some new mounting washers... i will use this.

Oh... I put the metals one on the post first... then the thick black nylon ones for 2 reasons:

1. To keep the install the way it was intended with the nylon touching the back of the board. Not sure how hot or what heat resistant properties the black nylon washer has... but I figured I would keep it in the same position, against the mother board.

2. Just to be sure not to short anything out... I did not want the washer to be touching the motherboard.

So far this mod seems to work just fine.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Occidentalis's PC Specs

POST ID # = 624099
Occidentalis Reputation: 10

Well, I went to the hardware store and got 4 small rubber washers that fit snugly over the rear posts underneath the mobo. They did the trick and now the install is like my H100 and not loose. My temps are similar to my H100 as well (at least when it was working).

I've been thinking about it, and it is possible that the whole thing could tighten up with the thumb screws, but only if the thickness of the pump itself was thicker than the space between the bracket and the mobo. This would pull the whole kit and kaboodle outwards, but in my case you would still end up with a gap between the CPU and the pump (albeit a stable one) unless there is some flex somewhere that I'm not understanding. My guess is that the gap is small enough for most folks to make up the difference, so this issue is resolved in most systems by just putting the pump in place.

---------

While we're at it, there are at least two more mistakes in the install guide. The first is minor - Step 4 - "Iinsert the mounting bracket..." should obviously read "Insert the mounting bracket"

In the FAQ, question one reads "How do I know the direction of the air flow of the fan?" With the answer "In arrow located on the side of the fan indicates the direction of air flow". Other than the poorly formed sentence, the H100i ships with no arrows on the sides of the fan to show direction. I've never seen a fan without direction on it. For those of you who are curious/frustrated, the air goes towards the side with the cable and sticker with information other than the brand label. There are also three plastic spokes on the side that the air travels towards. Air travels away from the side that has the pretty grey unprotected fan blades.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:53 PM

POST ID # = 624239

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalis View Post
I've been thinking about it, and it is possible that the whole thing could tighten up with the thumb screws, but only if the thickness of the pump itself was thicker than the space between the bracket and the mobo. This would pull the whole kit and kaboodle outwards, but in my case you would still end up with a gap between the CPU and the pump (albeit a stable one) unless there is some flex somewhere that I'm not understanding. My guess is that the gap is small enough for most folks to make up the difference, so this issue is resolved in most systems by just putting the pump in place.
Exactly. redesigning the pump itself is not the reasonable solution. Corsair needs to provide a set of washers... which cost pennies per kit. Glad yours worked out for you.

NYCMedic

Old 01-20-2013, 09:23 PM
Ragingsoul's PC Specs

POST ID # = 628031
Ragingsoul Reputation: 10

maybe you just didn't put it in the right way?
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...=113707&page=2

There is actually a specific orientation, at least for my Sabertooth Z77, probably the same for your Asus P8Z877.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM

POST ID # = 628342
Gil80 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occidentalis View Post
Hi everyone,

I know what you're thinking - oh, this has been covered before and dismissed by yellowbeard - a loose backplate is normal- if he just goes and puts the pump in, the thumb screws will tighten the cooler in to place.

Why then was my last backplate so snug? Why is this one so loose? People are reporting that adding rubber washers to the back will fix this issue - sounds like a good fix, but I'd rather have the backplate that I sent back with my H100 that was snug without having to go buy rubber washers.
Hi mate!

I had a loose back plate as well with my other 2 H100 and now with the H100i.

Some are snug fit some are loose... really it doesn't matter. It's true what Yellowbeard wrote.

my intel i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz with H100i and H100 loose back plate and I got at max load 75 degrees with prim 95 which is a good result (considering the nature of the ivy bridge CPU thermal paste).

So a loose back plate is no biggie.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:15 AM

POST ID # = 628362
west1980 Reputation: 10

Loose back plate here also, had to use rubber washers. Because of the loose back plate I ended up with bent stand off's.

I have a msi p67a gd65 mobo and I tightened down thumb screws diagonally , then tightened up gently with a screw driver.

I noticed later on the thumb screws where wonky looking, I took them out out only to find they was bent!

I think this cooler was prematurely released to be honest!

Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Dumela's PC Specs

POST ID # = 657415
Dumela Reputation: 10

Corsair H80 installing on an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. Same issue.

I found some old metal washers in a box, but like others, put them under what appears to be the rubber washer (although I'm not sure it really is rubber) on the backplate.

But I have to ask, what manual? All I got were a few pages with line drawings. No text, no instructions, nothing.

Would it have hurt Corsair that much to get someone to write some instructions. And I had big confusion over which standoff to use. The so-called instructions they included were garbage.

Is the user manual (if there really is one) posted anywhere? Thank you.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Newt182's PC Specs

POST ID # = 657421
Newt182 Reputation: 10

tbh I thought the loose backplate was designed like that intentionally. I mean it could be possible to tighten up the standoffs so tight that you could cause damage to your motherboard, but by having the backplate slightly loose that shouldn't be possible. It also allows for some slight movement when putting the cooling block on and so it could help with getting a better fit.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 PM

POST ID # = 657503
shewbs Reputation: 10

What were the dimension of the washers? I have the same p8z77-v Lk mobo and the same problem.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM
RIASROC MAN
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 657506
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 108
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

im using 2 asus boards with h100i's,the plate will be slightly loose to allow block aligning,once the block is mounted it gets snug.theres no need for washers IF properly installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumela View Post
Corsair H80 installing on an Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe. Same issue.

I found some old metal washers in a box, but like others, put them under what appears to be the rubber washer (although I'm not sure it really is rubber) on the backplate.

But I have to ask, what manual? All I got were a few pages with line drawings. No text, no instructions, nothing.

Would it have hurt Corsair that much to get someone to write some instructions. And I had big confusion over which standoff to use. The so-called instructions they included were garbage.

Is the user manual (if there really is one) posted anywhere? Thank you.
some basic knowledge is needed,but these units installation is really like point and shoot.
G620 H-80 1st Build http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...pse644013f.png
--------------------------------------------
Build 4 in Progress I7 4930k 32 Gig DP 780 SC EVGA

Last edited by wytnyt; 06-04-2013 at 09:08 PM.