The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2018, 03:57 PM
Ragman88's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942979
Ragman88 Reputation: 10
Default H150i Pro -- Apply New Thermal Paste?

I see that the H150i Pro comes with thermal paste already applied. Should I install the cooler as it comes or would you all recommend removing the paste and adding after-market paste? I've got some Arctic Silver 5 and wasn't sure if I should use that instead.

Just trying to get all my ducks lined up before I pull the trigger on the new AIO.

Thanks!

Old 03-02-2018, 04:15 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942982
DevBiker Reputation: 83

It's totally up to you ... it may make a couple of degrees difference.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 03-02-2018, 04:44 PM
Ragman88's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942987
Ragman88 Reputation: 10

Thanks, Dev! A couple of degrees difference is worth it. I'm happy to apply my own paste -- just wasn't sure if the stuff it comes with should be used instead for one reason or another. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2018, 05:01 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 942989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragman88 View Post
Thanks, Dev! A couple of degrees difference is worth it. I'm happy to apply my own paste -- just wasn't sure if the stuff it comes with should be used instead for one reason or another. Thanks!
No specific reason that it needs to be used. Personally, I always repaste mine.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 03-03-2018, 06:51 AM

POST ID # = 943040
bigdoguk Reputation: 10

Ive used the stock paste and it was ok but I have MX4 and just use this before I put on a new AIO.

Old 03-03-2018, 07:22 AM
iCue βeta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943044
Zotty Reputation: 52

My H100i V2 is on 'posh' paste lol.......

My H150i (sitting in box waiting to be fitted) will be on 'poor' paste lol..

I figure as the H150i is the 'Pro' Version it will already have 'Posh' Paste or should that be 'Pro' Paste? applied..

:D :D

Old 03-05-2018, 07:54 AM
snapper69's PC Specs

POST ID # = 943463
snapper69 Reputation: 32

Rumour was, a bit back, that they used Shin-Etsu paste on their coolers, but I don't know what they use now. I go with the standard stuff first time, then replace it with Noctua or Shin-Etsu after that. I put a thin line of paste on the middle third of the CPU, from top to bottom.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 AM

POST ID # = 951222
rohitbansal Reputation: 10

Arctic Silver 5 is one of the best thermal paste. It is easy to apply and give higher performance. So don't hesitate to use Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Just remove your previous one and apply this.

Old 04-21-2018, 09:51 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 951380
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitbansal View Post
Arctic Silver 5 is one of the best thermal paste. It is easy to apply and give higher performance. So don't hesitate to use Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Just remove your previous one and apply this.
I think that might be one of the silliest performance "tests" I have ever seen. I would always be suspicious if you see a comparison with no data. The copy and paste job from the manufacturer's page does not offer a genuine opinion and I wonder if they even actually ran tests. A suggested 3-12C drop is ludicrous, unless the comparison product is butter, and certainly not in relation to any of the other products listed. Arctic Silver was once king of the pile, but there are safer choices with equal or better performance out there.

Regardless, you can use any of those on the list and it will be fine, as long as you don't spread it all over your pins and motherboard. You are always chasing tiny temp differences with this stuff. There is no magic material to knock 10C off your temps. If you see that, there was a different problem to begin with. I would avoid any of the liquid metal compounds unless you really know what you are doing and have no plans to ever resell your CPU. The combination will kill its finish and retail value, both cooler and CPU.

Last edited by c-attack; 04-22-2018 at 07:46 AM.

Old 04-21-2018, 10:37 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 951388

Probably the most complete roundup of thermal pastes is here: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews...ison,5108.html.

Old 04-21-2018, 11:52 AM
Bimmerfreak24's PC Specs

POST ID # = 951401
Bimmerfreak24 Reputation: 10

I used Thermal Grizzly Konductonaut on mine. I haven't seen my cooler over 40C yet, but i also replaced the fans with 2 Noctua 140mm 3000rpm fans (set to 50% speed).

Dead silent and chill to the.... bone? ahh.. you get the idea...

tldr; replace the paste.

Old 02-01-2019, 07:25 PM
nsfer's PC Specs

POST ID # = 992228
nsfer Reputation: 10

I recently purchased a new open box Corsair h150i from my local microcenter, and I was curious like the OP on how well the original applied thermal paste and a newly decent thermal application would compare against each other, so with the h150i I bought the CoolerMaster MasterGel Make Nano as well and the results were pretty impressive, I saw a 5-6c difference between the original thermal application and the mastergel. However, there are still better thermal compounds out there, Recently stumbled upon an article Solutions for cooling saw some really diverse and worthy options there. It might help the one's looking for greater thermal compounds to choose from. Good luck.

Last edited by nsfer; 02-24-2019 at 05:47 PM.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:56 PM

POST ID # = 992329
WebMaximus Reputation: 10

I was just about to ask about the same thing.

I have the H115i but will use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of the thermal pad that comes pre-installed on the H115i water block.

Is there a recommended method how to best remove the stock thermal pad from the water block?

Old 02-02-2019, 05:56 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 992370

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebMaximus View Post
I was just about to ask about the same thing.

I have the H115i but will use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut instead of the thermal pad that comes pre-installed on the H115i water block.

Is there a recommended method how to best remove the stock thermal pad from the water block?
90% Alcohol or Arctic Clean.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:16 PM

POST ID # = 992385
WebMaximus Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
90% Alcohol or Arctic Clean.
Thanks, that's what I used and worked like a charm and couldn't be more pleased with my temps!

Just doing some initial testing running 5 GHZ @ 1.3v stress-testing the CPU and so far, the hottest core after some 30 mins is 73 C where the average for all cores is like 62-64C.

Need to get some sleep now but tomorrow will be overclocking galore day to find out what this CPU is capable of now that it has good cooling and I apparently got both the liquid metal as well as the thermal paste in the right places