Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cooling

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2012, 10:10 PM
jewie27's PC Specs

POST ID # = 559917
jewie27 Reputation: 10
Default H100 High temps :(

Setup:

Corsair 600T: 2 intake fans up front, one stock 120mm exaust.

I5-2500K processor @ 4.7Ghz using 1.375 volts on the Vcore.

I'm using a stock H100 with the two Corsair fans that were included.

The H100 radiator is mounted under the top grill of the 600T case with the two fans pushing air down from outside. Fan speed profile is on Balanced (medium)

At idle the CPU is at about 45C, at load with Prime 95 I get 72C.

This doesn't sound normal. Aren't my temps too high? I can't do push/pull because 2 more fans wont fit onto the radiator with this case.

Thermal compound: IC Diamond

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
jewie27's PC Specs

POST ID # = 559928

bumping up

Old 02-05-2012, 11:52 PM
musicequips's PC Specs

POST ID # = 559930
musicequips Reputation: 31

If you pull the push/pull assembly towards you and use 5 screws instead of 8...it will fit. You can use better fans. Is your fan controller on your case turned to max? Those are NOT bad temps. Those gpus are packing some heat!

Last edited by musicequips; 02-05-2012 at 11:56 PM.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 AM
jewie27's PC Specs

POST ID # = 559944

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicequips View Post
If you pull the push/pull assembly towards you and use 5 screws instead of 8...it will fit. You can use better fans. Is your fan controller on your case turned to max? Those are NOT bad temps. Those gpus are packing some heat!
it's on medium because max is TOO loud If I do push/pull, the fans under the radiator will run into my RAM and VRM's.

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Corsair 600T Case.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 559945
parsec Reputation: 10

So you're OC'd to 4.7GHz, and it sounds like you have it with no power saving options like SpeedStep or C1E, with a fixed voltage, so you're at 4.7GHz constantly, correct?

If so, the threshold for SandyBridge CPUs, where the temps from an OC really start to rise is at ~4.7GHz and above. Your Prime95 temp is really not bad, but your idle might be improved, and your max temp too.

From your description, you only have one exhaust fan in the entire case? With those two video cards and a high OC, you cannot have a positive pressure case and have extra low temps. I bet your H100's fans are fighting pressure in the case, and not moving as much air across the radiator as they could.

I can't say going to exhaust on the H100 with your video cards will lower your CPU temp, but it might be worth a try. You really need to get more air out of that case, one 120mm stock fan won't cut it. The Corsair 120mm case fan is above average in air flow for a quiet case fan, but you need more exhaust. You need a higher air flow 120mm fan or 140mm if it will fit. That is really not enough exhaust, but would help. You do need to turn your H100 up to the highest fan speed level if you want lower CPU temps.

Going to push-pull on your H100 in intake mode will only increase the pressure inside your case and not add that much more air flow across the radiator. It's very difficult to "have it all" in a medium sized case, as in high CPU OC, dual high-end video cards, and a relatively quiet, positive pressure case. A H100 is a very good CPU cooler, but it's not the same as a custom water cooled rig, plus your case is on the small side for internal air volume with two video cards. You'll need to experiment to see what works best, but something will be compromised, if only you end up with a loud PC.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:35 AM
jewie27's PC Specs

POST ID # = 559949

Yes, 4.7ghz for turbo. It speedsteps down to 1600mhz like normal. The graphics cards are reference models and exaust air out the back of the case. I don't think the Corsair 600T is considered to be "small case" by any means.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:27 AM

POST ID # = 559966
juli4n Reputation: 10

I totally second Parsec. Your temps are fine considering your setup, in fact I'd guesstimate higher temps if I'd only know your specs and OC.

The 600T is a midi tower. So it's midi. It's not big. It's not small either, but parsec did not use the word "small". You seem to be over sensitive for people calling stuff you have "small" ;+D

Old 02-07-2012, 04:06 AM
parsec's PC Specs

POST ID # = 560178
parsec Reputation: 10

Thanks Juli4n, but I understand what jewie meant, because I did say:

... your case is on the small side for internal air volume with two video cards

I said that after checking the 600T product page, and saw one picture with the case all built with three video cards, it looked rather full to me. I personally have a thing for open internal space in a case, which I think helps temps.

So even with SpeedStep enabled, you still get those temps? Does your Vcore drop below 1V at 1.6GHz?

Let's assume that the video cards do vent all their heat out of the case, but of course are not any help for case ventilation, which is not their job. Plus the H100 is being used in intake mode, so heat from the video cards would only indirectly affect CPU temps at worst, but could affect other components.

That still leaves you, IMO, with not enough exhausting of case air, and a high pressure environment in the case. Your case is tight, as in well sealed. So I'm sticking with my first post's theory, that back pressure from the case is reducing air flow through the radiator. That can be tested by removing the right side panel (facing the case), that covers the back of the mobo tray and cable routing, or removing a couple of the 5.25" optical drive bay covers, creating vents. I could also be wrong...

Otherwise, your mounting of the pump/heatplate might not be perfect. When my i7-2600K is at 1.6GHz at idle, Vcore under 1V, my CPU temps are in the low 20's C, with a H60, push-pull, intake. Even running at a constant 4.2GHz, at idle I'm just over 30C, but I don't set my Vcore manually, I let the CPU decide what it wants. I'm also using just one GTS450 video card! My PWM fans are (adjusted by me via a profile) at ~1100 RPM, so not full speed (just under 2000 RPM.) I also have two 200mm fans sucking air through the case out the top, with vents on both side panels and bottom, and a 140mm intake in the front, and my large-ish case is mostly empty. So I clean dust, minimal filters, just my style.