Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2018, 10:34 PM

POST ID # = 961578
brunob Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
Thanks!!

So 2x 480 push or pull + rads on top and 2x 480 push or pull in front is possible?

If so I am buying the case!!

With 4x 480 I don't think you need the rads in push/pull configuration
Yes but the rads cannot be more than 38mm thick or ~124mm wide(if it is you will have to cut the tray sides)

Old 07-01-2018, 06:42 AM

POST ID # = 961609
Hannibal Lecter Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunob View Post
Yes but the rads cannot be more than 38mm thick or ~124mm wide(if it is you will have to cut the tray sides)
Regarding the rad thickness, do you mean 38mm + 25mm for one set of fans or 38mm + 50mm in push/pull?

Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 AM

POST ID # = 961645
brunob Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter View Post
Regarding the rad thickness, do you mean 38mm + 25mm for one set of fans or 38mm + 50mm in push/pull?
38 + 25, push pull also won't work due to the top and front fans overlapping

Old 07-02-2018, 08:07 AM

POST ID # = 961780
Hannibal Lecter Reputation: 10

Quote:
38 + 25, push pull also won't work due to the top and front fans overlapping
Got it. Thanks

Old 09-10-2018, 01:31 AM
Johnson621's PC Specs

POST ID # = 972093
Johnson621 Reputation: 10

So what is the max length of 480 rad to fit 2 480’s up top?

Old 09-19-2018, 08:07 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 973487
cc10101 Reputation: 13

I found a video of a 1000D build in which the builder fit 2 EK Coolstream XE 480s in the front fan tray. Apparently without any mods to the front fan tray. He also fit 1 EK CoolStream CE 420 at the top, although he had to make a minor case mod for that.

Some cool information about radiator fitment in this case. Very worth watching, at least, the last two vids (below) for folks planning builds in the 1000D.

So there are four videos the his Obsidian 1000D build series:

The XE 480 dimensions are: 520 x 130 x 60 (LxWxH). He has them installed as push-pull using ML120 fans (which are 25mm thick). So total front-tray cooling package thickness is 110mm.

He also installed an EK Coolstream 420 (pull config) at the top which is a 45mm thick radiator. However, while the radiator itself fit, he could only install ML140s in the rearmost 2 fan-positions of the radiator. The forward-most ML140 wouldn't.

He also described drilling out he rivets that hold the 3.5" drive cage rivets out so he could remove that cage to free up space for water-cooling stuff. Which I think I may wind up doing as well - not sure yet.

Anyway, I found all four videos interesting, with the last two videos extremely worth watching. I hope this helps folks wondering what might fit, radiator-wise.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:16 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 973488

Quote:
Did you try to install the radiators directly to the fan tray? Or did you install fans into the fan tray, and the radiator to the fans?

I ask because, if you install the fans to the tray, and the radiator to the fans, then the bends in the fan tray become irrelevant because the fans raise the radiator 25mm from the fan tray - and the ends in the fan tray do not extend more than maybe 5 or 8mm or so.

Check the last couple videos in my post just above. He fit 130mm wide radiators in the front (60mm thick rad in push-pull config) and didn't appear to have to mod the fan tray to do so.

The HWL Nemesis GTX is 133mm wide (only 3mm wider than the EK rads). So I would guess it should also work side-by-side in the fan-tray as long as fans are installed to the tray first, similar to how the guy from the videos above did it.

He actually eliminated the top fan tray in order to squeeze a 45mm thick radiator (pull config only) in without it being jammed up against the front radiator/fan combo. A cool workaround for the problem of getting reasonably thick rads at top and front of the case.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:31 PM

POST ID # = 973614
dimitrispapanik Reputation: 10

I am in the same boat: I am planning for 2x HWL Nemesis 480 GTX (or GTS) in the front and 2 480 GTS in the top. Push only config with bequiet SW120 fans.

Do you guys think this will work? I plan on mounting the fans on the tray and then the rads

Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 973615

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimitrispapanik View Post
I am in the same boat: I am planning for 2x HWL Nemesis 480 GTX (or GTS) in the front and 2 480 GTS in the top. Push only config with bequiet SW120 fans.

Do you guys think this will work? I plan on mounting the fans on the tray and then the rads
Have you ordered a 8x120 top fan tray from Corsair? I've been trying to order one, but haven't had any success. I think their website might be broken for that particular part. Been working with Corsair customer service on it.

Anyway, I think it might be very tight in the upper front of the case where the rads meet. I think I'm likely to do 2 480s plus 2 360s to avoid cramming too much in the upper front.

OTOH, in my situation, I need some good airflow over the entire motherboard. Even though I'm planning push/pull on all rads (if it's feasible), I'm not sure the warmed airflow that will result will be enough to keep my PCH and M.2 SSD cool.

In theory, just using intake fans across the bottom of the front fan tray would pull in cool air which will be pulled up across the motherboard to the upper rear where my two exhaust fans are. But then I'm back to things potentially being very tight at the top-front of the case where the top 480s and front 360s would meet.

So... yeah. I'm still pondering.

Meanwhile, I guess I've been no help whatsoever w/regards to your question. Sorry.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:08 AM

POST ID # = 973641

No, thinking aloud is helpful. I have the same worries about airflow, which is why I will get a block for the mb not just the cpu, and also water cool my m2. ssd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc10101 View Post
Have you ordered a 8x120 top fan tray from Corsair? I've been trying to order one, but haven't had any success. I think their website might be broken for that particular part. Been working with Corsair customer service on it.

Anyway, I think it might be very tight in the upper front of the case where the rads meet. I think I'm likely to do 2 480s plus 2 360s to avoid cramming too much in the upper front.

OTOH, in my situation, I need some good airflow over the entire motherboard. Even though I'm planning push/pull on all rads (if it's feasible), I'm not sure the warmed airflow that will result will be enough to keep my PCH and M.2 SSD cool.

In theory, just using intake fans across the bottom of the front fan tray would pull in cool air which will be pulled up across the motherboard to the upper rear where my two exhaust fans are. But then I'm back to things potentially being very tight at the top-front of the case where the top 480s and front 360s would meet.

Meanwhile, I guess I've been no help whatsoever w/regards to your question. Sorry.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:14 AM

POST ID # = 973642

I just placed an order for the fan tray with no issues...
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...y/p/CC-8900160

I still have not bought my 1000d though. I am still debating between it and the Mountain Mods Enhanced Ascension Case...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc10101 View Post

Old 09-22-2018, 03:31 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 973754

Quote:
I just placed an order for the fan tray with no issues...
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Catego...y/p/CC-8900160

I still have not bought my 1000d though. I am still debating between it and the Mountain Mods Enhanced Ascension Case...
I had tried 3 different browsers, with literally everything disabled (add-ins and antivirus, antimalware), and simply could not get the order to go through with a credit-card. Kept getting all the way through to the CC check they do, and then reporting an error and telling me to contact customer service.

But since you were able to order w/out problems, I went back and just tried to use Paypal instead. That worked okay. Very strange. Never had this sort of problem ordering anything from anywhere before.

Anyway, the part is ordered, so all's well that ends well. Now I just need to figure out what rads to order. And what pumps and tubes and so on.

I had never heard of Mountain Mods but checked out the Ascension case on their website. Pretty interesting case. Looks well made. Not sure it has more radiator space though, looks like maybe 4 360s would fit, at least from the singular photo I found on their website.

In the end, I might wind up doing 4 360s in order to leave 4 fan-only fan-slots to increase non-radiator intake airflow in the 1000D. Not sure.

Sometimes I think the research and build process is more fun than using the end result.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:20 PM

POST ID # = 973778

Yes, the process is fun...
check out the Enhanced Ascension case. I think you can fit 3x 480s and 2x 360 in there. But that is overkill...

I think I will try the 1000d, order 2x 480gtx and 2x 480gts and take it from there...

Old 09-26-2018, 09:58 PM

POST ID # = 974372

Ok, an update: I can confirm that 2x BlackIce 480 GTX Rads fit in the front tray. I mounted 25mm fans on the tray and the rads on the fans

I get slightly less than 2 inch clearance to the harddrive cage, and a smidgen less than 3 inch clearance to the top fan tray, so the same combo will not work. I have a set of 480gts incoming so hopefully that will work. If not, I will try them with 15mm fans.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:33 PM
cc10101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 974381

Quote:
Ok, an update: I can confirm that 2x BlackIce 480 GTX Rads fit in the front tray. I mounted 25mm fans on the tray and the rads on the fans

I get slightly less than 2 inch clearance to the harddrive cage, and a smidgen less than 3 inch clearance to the top fan tray, so the same combo will not work. I have a set of 480gts incoming so hopefully that will work. If not, I will try them with 15mm fans.
Good to get confirmation of the fairly wide HWL rads fitting two across as long as fans are mounted to the tray first. Thanks for that and for listing the remaining clearances.

What motherboard and CPU are you running in the case? And do you have any NVMe M.2 SSDs mounted on the motherboard? If you completely cover the top and front with rads, especially if only doing push all around, are you certain there will be enough airflow to cool your VRMs (if necessary), PCH and SSD(s)?

I ask because, in my case (no pun intended), I currently have a 970 pro (M.2 NVMe) mounted to my motherboard that runs extremely hot under intense load (the temp 2 sensor gets up in the 90s when benchmarking the drive). And I may mount a second, similar SSD as well, increasing the temps of both as they will be in close proximity to each other on this board.

The Asus RVIE VRMs, and to a lesser extent it's PCH, also get pretty hot. I will watercool my VRMs (either a monoblock or separate VRM block). But I have no easy way to watercool the PCH or SSDs on this motherboard.

I am not experienced enough with this stuff to know if having push-pull fans at the front will move enough (warmed air) into the case to ensure proper airflow over the motherboard to cool the PCH and M.2 SSD(s). If so, then I'd probably do 4 480s. If not, then I'd maybe do 4 360s, or 2 360s, 2 480s, leaving fan-only space to pull in cool air.

The catch-22 here is that if I go with smaller rads, then the rads will run somewhat hotter (than 480s) and the air blown through them into the case will also be hotter. Whereas, if I use full 480s all around, the rads might never get particularly heat-soaked so the air moving through the rads into the case might still be cool enough to cool the PCH and M.2(s).

Decisions, decisions...

Tags
1000d, radiator mount options