Corsair Community

1000D: 200mm Setup?

Storx

I am curious if anyone has actually tried running 200mm fans in this case? I recently learned about this case after doing some research on cases to replace my current rig w/ CM HAF-X.

I recently built a new gaming PC for my uncle who wanted to get into some of the games I play and found the use of the 120mm fans to be annoyingly loud. We used the new Lian Li 011 Dynamic w/ 9 x 120mm fans and just ran his CPU on AIO and his GPU on Air. Running his rig in the same room as my current Haf-x setup was rather annoying when the heat from gaming ramped up the fans...

My current rig uses 4 x Noctua 200mm in the HAF-X and i find them to be near silent in operation while maintaining temps under 60c in games on AIR with CPU on AIO and GPU on AIO...

So after some research, i found some case fan trays for the case to support 200mm fans, but it does not state if they will work on the 1000D or not.. just under general accessories.. If these trays can be confirmed to work, i may pull the trigger on this case to attempt my first full water loop on my new build im planning....

32199982938_71d5675bd5_z_d.jpg

200MM Fan Tray

The idea would be to run 2 of these, then salvage my 4 x 200mm fans I already own over and combine them with 2 x 400mm radiators. This would greatly reduce the number of connections and overall cost of the loop, and also use fans that are much more silent while still proving tons of air volume across the fins..... I understand 200mm fans are not really good at static pressures, but when you have a case as big as the 1000D, I don't think you need the static pressure to offset the lack of space you have when your working with a smaller more compact case. Plus if im doing the measurements correctly, the change from 8 x 120 to 2 x 200 would allow the use of the larger 85-100mm thick radiators..

35495-1_600x600.jpg

I know a few will try to reason that 120mm fans are better, but it really depends on the circumstances..

Example:

Noctua NF-A20 PWM rated 350-800rpms 59.33 CFM - 106.46 CFM

Corsair ML-120 Pro rated 400-1600 RPM 13.7 CFM - 47.3 CFM

So with most 1000D builds, i read that they set the rpms to the lowest setting on the fans and get perfect water temps while gaming...

4 x 59.22 CFM = 236.88 CFM 4x200mm

16 x 13.7 CFM = 219.20 CFM 16x120mm

So, in theory, the 4 x 200mm fan setup pushes more actual air volume across the radiators, so within a margin of error they should be pretty much equal in temps if not favoring the 200mm fans... the reasoning that static pressure is needed is kinda a wash in this case, as the size of the case becomes larger and you have more surface area for air volume to flow through the case, the pressure needed to overcome drops drastically, because in a smaller case the 120mm fans have to push the air out of a tighter/smaller area faster to exchange the heat faster to maintain good temperatures, thus a reasoning for high static pressure fans becoming useful, but in the case of the 1000D i would think the amount of space internal with 236 CFM of airflow would not allow the system to produce enough heat to overcome the fans and require higher static pressure fans to maintain temps..

Just the pure price difference is worth the switch.. At the time of writing this these are the prices we are comparing...

4 x Noctua NF-A20 PWM $24.95ea = $99.80

4 x Thermaltake Plus 20 RGB $37.99ea = $151.96

16 x ML120 Pro's $24.99ea = $399.84

16 x ML120 Pro's RGB $33.99ea = $543.84

So,

Standard Premium Fan difference of $300.04 savings on fans

or

RB Premium Fan difference of $391.88 savings on fans

Plus you have half as many fittings and lines running to radiators.. so about $100 in savings there.. just the savings going 200mm over 120mm will offset the price of the case in the build...

It would be cool to see 200mm fans on the 1000D and those trays are for the 1000D and should work on the bottom and on the top.

A correction in your theory. Static pressure is needed for air to be pushed through a filter and radiator. The size of a case has less of an effect on it, unless you are talking about something like a compact ITX build. Think air as water. i.e. CFM is a water coming from a hose, where the valve is open up all the way. It has high flow rate. Putting jet sprayer in front of the hose will increase the pressure dramatically though the flow rate will drop a lot, this will be "static pressure". Think as the radiator as bird crap on your car. The jet sprayer will take it off better than having a higher flow rate.

The smaller fans will be able to easier pull air through the filter and push it through the rad than the 200mm fans. I can't say what the difference though in theory the smaller fans with 480mmx120mm radiators should out perform the 2x200mm rads. Though this might be moot as you might have more than enough cooling with the 2x200mm that you can't soak up enough heat to take advantage of the more radiator space and higher static pressure of the smaller set. It would also look different. I am not a huge "fan" of the look of the 200mm fans, though I am a huge of fans of doing something unique, which this is.

Good luck in either case, post some pictures up.

Bring on some LL200's i say.. I am game for 8x200mm push/pull action in my 1000D

Wonder why they don't use 120mm fans on car rads?.. and Aircon Rads?? :)

There is not enough real estate for 8 x 200mm setup...

The case is only 697mm tall and the fans are 200mm tall, so 4 tall would be 800mm... there is a possability of 3 x 200mm fans.. but there is not a fan tray available for this.. not sure what the limitations of the area the fan tray is placed.. Zotty by chance know the length of the tray itself? maybe its long enough to have a custom one laser cut to run a 6 x 200mm setup..

Does corsair make 200mm fans? i never seen them if they do.. i know they are difficult to make and be affordable due to the nature of needing an actual bearing and larger motor for the extra mass..

In regards to everything else that is fan cooled, i think most stick to 120mm fans due to the sterotype that 120mm fan is a PC fan.. just like in server world its rare to see a 120mm fan.. most are 38/40mm fans even tho a 120mm fan would easily fit.. one engineer told me years ago the reasoning was due to the nature of manufacturing a fan that can be mass produced to spin high rpms and last a long time without the need for cleaning or balancing.. the smaller the fan blade the less the tolerances are needed to run the fan at high rpms and not cause issues due to the lack of mass affecting it.. thus why you can see server fans in a 40mm package with rpms up into the 20,000rpms range.. no matter what servers require a lot of pressure when they are cooling due to the high resistance of the air flowing through a server case...

This is why i think 200mm fans are perfect for the 1000D, because there is like no resistance.. even if you used a radiator.. the resistance is minimal compared to what it could be in a small form factor..

Honestly almost always a 200mm fan will push more CFM than a 120mm fan.. just a 120mm can have more static pressure due to it being able to have more aggressive blades and spin a higher rpm without going out of balance leading to motor wear....thus why most 120mm fans can last 6+ years easily, while a cheaper 200mm fan typically last 2 years if your lucky..

So when Noctua released the 200mm fan with a 7 year warranty, i was shocked, because they really put a lot of engineering into the fan to overcome the motor/bearing flaws of previous generation fans.. thus why they call for premium prices without RGB...

There is not enough real estate for 8 x 200mm setup...

The case is only 697mm tall and the fans are 200mm tall, so 4 tall would be 800mm... there is a possability of 3 x 200mm fans.. but there is not a fan tray available for this.. not sure what the limitations of the area the fan tray is placed.. Zotty by chance know the length of the tray itself? maybe its long enough to have a custom one laser cut to run a 6 x 200mm setup..

Does corsair make 200mm fans? i never seen them if they do.. i know they are difficult to make and be affordable due to the nature of needing an actual bearing and larger motor for the extra mass..

In regards to everything else that is fan cooled, i think most stick to 120mm fans due to the sterotype that 120mm fan is a PC fan.. just like in server world its rare to see a 120mm fan.. most are 38/40mm fans even tho a 120mm fan would easily fit.. one engineer told me years ago the reasoning was due to the nature of manufacturing a fan that can be mass produced to spin high rpms and last a long time without the need for cleaning or balancing.. the smaller the fan blade the less the tolerances are needed to run the fan at high rpms and not cause issues due to the lack of mass affecting it.. thus why you can see server fans in a 40mm package with rpms up into the 20,000rpms range.. no matter what servers require a lot of pressure when they are cooling due to the high resistance of the air flowing through a server case...

This is why i think 200mm fans are perfect for the 1000D, because there is like no resistance.. even if you used a radiator.. the resistance is minimal compared to what it could be in a small form factor..

Honestly almost always a 200mm fan will push more CFM than a 120mm fan.. just a 120mm can have more static pressure due to it being able to have more aggressive blades and spin a higher rpm without going out of balance leading to motor wear....thus why most 120mm fans can last 6+ years easily, while a cheaper 200mm fan typically last 2 years if your lucky..

So when Noctua released the 200mm fan with a 7 year warranty, i was shocked, because they really put a lot of engineering into the fan to overcome the motor/bearing flaws of previous generation fans.. thus why they call for premium prices without RGB...

lol.... you got me wrong...... 4 (in push/pull) in the front.... 4 (in push/pull) in the top..

and no Corsair don't make any yet.. but they do make that 200mm fan tray for the 1000d... we can only hope on LL200's or ML200's lol

will get some measurements for you when i am at my desk

Technically Corsair does make 200mm fans, just not RGB i.e. LL-200 :p

They do make a LED fan: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Accessories-%7C-Parts/PC-Components/Cases/Clear-Textured-200mm-White-LED-Case-Fan/p/CC600TW-200MM

Hrmm, with that clear 200mm fan, you could remove the white LEDs and add a strip of WS2811 RGB LEDs around the outside. Then you have a 200mm RGB Corsair fan :)

Granted I do have 2x200mm addressable RGB fans sitting on my desk, sadly they aren't Corsair and I removed them off a case to replace with 3xHD-120 Corsair fans.

Archived