Corsair Community

Faulty ram??

tsunami2311

cm3x2g1600c8d

I have the above ram as a triple channel set. lately I been getting BSOD at random in my games. I check my event log which keep getting a event id 19 and i been geting that event id for lil over a year now which, point to ram is bank 6 and one of this stick is in that bank from what i been reading

Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger

[ Guid] {C26C4F3C-3F66-4E99-8F8A-39405CFED220}

EventID 19

Version 0

Level 3

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2012-03-18T02:06:23.129632500Z

EventRecordID 204218

- Correlation

[ ActivityID] {53A4D886-E569-4E4A-B29B-362F7A4240FE}

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 1372

[ ThreadID] 972

Channel System

Computer Kyuu-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-19

- EventData

ErrorSource 1

ApicId 7

MCABank 6

MciStat 0x8c20004000201136

MciAddr 0x71220e40

MciMisc 0x850c000c

ErrorType 9

TransactionType 1

Participation 256

RequestType 3

MemorIO 256

MemHierarchyLvl 2

Timeout 256

OperationType 256

Channel 256

Length 928

Now i bought this ram as set lil over a 2 years ago and i still have the receipt and i wonder if this ram still carries a warranty or not. cause it the ram causing my bsod i rather replace the ram instead of the whole computer just cause i wasnt sure. Last time i test my ram with memtest was over 6 months ago and they cam back clean but i tested this ram all sticks at once, but I also had problem with this ram detecting all 6 gb when running at 1600mhz cause i always lost 2gb when running it at those speeds

MB=EVGA x58 SLi le

Cpu=920 i7

anyinfo is greatly appreciated

The memory has a lifetime warrenty, so your good there.

But to rule out the memory, run each stick individually with memtest in the first slot. You can find a link for it on the left. Load set-up defaults, enable XMP, then let each stick run for at least three passes or until you get an error.

If one stick fails it's pretty cut and dry. RMA the whole kit. If all three fail i would look for some other failure. The odds of three sticks going bad is astronomical.

I also had problem with this ram detecting all 6 gb when running at 1600mhz cause i always

You may also want to pull the CPU and inspect the socket for a bent pin. That could very well be the root of all your problems.

i will check that again after i tested the ram stick 1 at a time. but like like last time i checked i dont think there are any bent pin, and thy want me to rma the ram set back then when i first ask, about all this i just never did, cause back then i wasnt getting bsod i just could run full 1600mhz

thy want me to rma the ram set back then when i first ask, about all this i just never did, cause back then i wasnt getting bsod i just could run full 1600mhz

Another good reason to pull the CPU and inspect the pins. Memory is either going to fail at all speeds and not just one. It may also be that your CPU just will not overclock to 1600mhz without some tweaking of voltages.

Another good reason to pull the CPU and inspect the pins. Memory is either going to fail at all speeds and not just one. It may also be that your CPU just will not overclock to 1600mhz without some tweaking of voltages.

It failed to read all 6 gbs of ram at normal defualt cpu speed and volt to begin with its why I oced to get the ram close as possable to those speed. I should not need to to change cpu voltage at norm clocks to get the 1600mhz on the ram with xmp settings, unless I been wrong about that all this time I mean really i spent like 200$ for this ram 2 year ago and i expected it to run 1600mhz with out ocing and it wont do it with or with out a oc with out losing 2 gbs

either way i will look at the pins again if the voltage change to my cpu didnt fix the problem of my bsod.

I ment vcore there on the cpu was default so was speeds, Ram voltage is 1.65 and year ago when i spent 3 months trying to fix this before giving up and just oc my whole rig to 30mhz below the point were i lost that 2 gbs, I tried more and less to the voltage to the ram, even tried losing the timing up nothing ever fixed that problem of the ram lose 2 gbs at 1600mhz. I original had lower end corsair ram kit that had the same problem returned those and got this which where more expensive and had same problem.

At this point it become more about why am I Bsod then the ram not running correct speeds. i changed some voltage on my vcore and swap ram sticks around to see if that event 19 pops up and say bank 6 again or if it changed. if it changed then that problem has to be the ram, if it dont then might the slot

It failed to read all 6 gbs of ram at normal defualt cpu speed and volt to begin with its why I oced to get the ram close as possable to those speed. I should not need to to change cpu voltage at norm clocks to get the 1600mhz on the ram with xmp settings, unless I been wrong about that all this time I mean really i spent like 200$ for this ram 2 year ago and i expected it to run 1600mhz with out ocing and it wont do it with or with out a oc with out losing 2 gbs

I did not mean vcore. I was thinking more along the lines of Dimm voltage and QPI voltage. Which is another good possibility. Try setting your QPI to 1.35v and you can go as high as 1.45v without any issues. . And leave the DIMM voltage at 1.65v

Anytime you go past 1333mhz you are overclocking. XMP is just setting the overclocking settings for you but sometimes misses QPI voltage(memory controller)

If this voltage adjustment does not work then you really need to pull the CPU and inspect the socket. You said ou have had two kits now that have both acted the same way. That means there is something wrong somewhere, but i doubt it contributed to faulty modules at this point.

It failed to read all 6 gbs of ram at normal defualt cpu speed and volt to begin with its why I oced to get the ram close as possable to those speed.

Overclocking rule number 1...dont start overclocking untill you KNOW you have a working stable system. Overclocking before that is pointless and can just cause you more issues.:D:

system is stable at defualt speeds, according to prime95 and intelburn its just ram disappeared at those speeds. i also highly aware of alot x58 system have simlar problems i could run the everything at defualt and ram at 1333mhz and 1600 even with the 2 gbs missing and run prime 20 hours on end and have no problems

system is stable at defualt speeds, according to prime95 and intelburn its just ram disappeared at those speeds. i also highly aware of alot x58 system have simlar problems i could run the everything at defualt and ram at 1333mhz and 1600 even with the 2 gbs missing and run prime 20 hours on end and have no problems

Tsunami, you really need to pull the CPU. If you have tried everything else and it is STILL not stable then you have other issues than the RAM. If the Pins are fine the the MB is bad. There isn't anything else to try.

If RAM is going to fail it will fail at all speeds ,niot just one. and same goes for detection.

I personnally have gone through both issues. I had a bent pin with one MB and the second was bad. I have not had a detection issue or problems running RAM at higher than stock speeds since.

There is one last thin you can try before pulling the CPU and that is to reseat the CPU cooler. It's uneaven pressure on the CPU that can cause the detection issues. But if your going to reseat your cooler you might as well take the extra step and inspect the socket as per this sticky...http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82274

• 2 weeks later...
Tsunami, you really need to pull the CPU. If you have tried everything else and it is STILL not stable then you have other issues than the RAM. If the Pins are fine the the MB is bad. There isn't anything else to try.

If RAM is going to fail it will fail at all speeds ,niot just one. and same goes for detection.

I personnally have gone through both issues. I had a bent pin with one MB and the second was bad. I have not had a detection issue or problems running RAM at higher than stock speeds since.

There is one last thin you can try before pulling the CPU and that is to reseat the CPU cooler. It's uneaven pressure on the CPU that can cause the detection issues. But if your going to reseat your cooler you might as well take the extra step and inspect the socket as per this sticky...http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=82274

ok so I resat the cpu and yes there are bent pins, but guess what I RMA'ed the original set and got new set. upon taking the old set out and putting the new set in and setting XMP it ran 1600mhz with out loseing 2gbs. Which ment the bent pins where not the problem it was the ram. which also mean "If RAM is going to fail it will fail at all speeds" was a bunch of nonsense cause new ram set runs 1600mhz with me just setting XMP with all 6gbs no problem..

I should of rma'ed that ram set 2 years ago

Archived