Corsair Community

Cold Boot BSOD's

alpaugh78

Hi, I recently completed my new build and it ran great for the first week or so. Now all of a sudden I'm getting BSOD's on cold boots. It happens every morning when I start my pc up. I have run Memtest86+ right after the first bsod and it instantly found errors. After a couple tries the pc will then boot into Windows. After that I can restart and run Memtest again without a single error. It does this no matter how I set my memory up in bios whether it's XMP or manually. It also doesn't matter what speed, 1600 or 1333. Once it gets going my pc runs great. Please help

Try to take a look at the "cold boot" voltages and if your memory voltage is set well, if they're fine the problem can be a faulty capacitor in your mobo. Try also to see if there's something wrong in your pc (for example a fan that can't run because of dust or something like that)

Hi, I recently completely my new build and it ran great for the first week or so. Now all of a sudden I'm getting BSOD's on cold boots. It happens every morning when I start my pc up. I have run Memtest86+ right after the first bsod and it instantly found errors. After a couple tries the pc will then boot into Windows. After that I can restart and run Memtest again without a single error. It does this no matter how I set my memory up in bios whether it's XMP or manually. It also doesn't matter what speed, 1600 or 1333. Once it gets going my pc runs great. Please help

The test I have adopted for stability is agentGOD's Intel Burn Test. See if your system can pass that one also. :)

I have went into Bios to and checked my voltages(on a cold boot) to see if anything has changed and it's fine. It's always the same as it was the day before. All fans are running good. I clean everything every 2 weeks or so. I have used IBT, Prime95 and OCCT to stress my pc and it passes on every occasion. I just updated bios today with the hope that it takes care of the problem. I was running the f11 bios and now it's the F13 bios.

Right now, I'm at a loss. Everything seems great once it gets warmed up, just that initial boot after its been off for awhile.

Hello, alpaugh78.

If your BIOS is indeed stable, then my guess is that data corruption has occurred at the operating system level without your awareness sometime after its successful installation.

Perhaps an unsuccessful installation or update during this time may have led to instability of the Windows environment. Have you scheduled Checkdisk or tried system repair?

I too thought the same thing Poto. I went as far as completely wiping my HDD with DBAN to get rid of everything on it. Did that Friday morning and reinstalled Friday night after it was done. Shut my pc off, went to work(I work 3rd) and started my pc back up after I got home yesterday morning. Same BSOD on a new Windows install with absolutly nothing on it other than whats on the Windows 7 DVD. Memtest86 errors like crazy. After about 5 boot attempts I finally got into Windows with everything running fine. Then I restarted, ran Memtest86 again and no errors. I've tried both sticks individually in both slots and as long as it's not on a cold boot they pass memtest every time.

I have done everything I can think of to find the problem. I took my entire pc apart, made sure there were no bent pins in the cpu socket and put it all back together again. Personally I'm exhausted from this issue right now, and just want to find the solution. I have no temp issues, I've reseated the ram multiple times and I'm just frustrated right now. Worst part is that my back up board is down right now too and i have been waiting for Gigabyte to issue my an RMA for that for the last 3-4 days....Annoyed. Thanks for helping though I appreciate it alot.

Try downloading a big compressed file and try to unzip it, let us know if you experience any CRC errors. When I was using my faulty module I've often had CRC errors with compressed files.

PS: if you found errors on memtest the problem is definitely not the OS

(I needed 2 months to find out the problem on my PC)

Have you tried the following suggestion?

You say that you are seeing the BSOD. This screen should give you a hint of what's wrong. There may be one or more error codes listed on this screen, which you can write down and track down on Microsoft's site for information.

To pause on the BSOD, follow advice on this link:

http://www.mytechguide.org/2009/08/10/troubleshoot-windows-blue-screen-of-death/

sorry not trying to highjack your thread...

Personally I had lots of CRC issues with compressed files. Most of this cleared up by changing/experimenting with the timings/voltages. However I still get them from time to time. My build is less than a month old, and I've rebuilt windows as well from scratch and still have the same issue. All tests that run in windows will pass 100% (once I can actually get windows to boot up). The cold boot issue can only be seen by using memtest immediatly upon booting. Otherwise it will pass with flying colors. Currently the only workaround is just to put my machine in sleep mode to keep the memory active instead of shutting down completely. When this is done, my machine is perfect upon "waking". Im unsure why this works but it does.

As an addendum... I can't speak for the original poster but my blue screens always have something to do with Memory (referring to the title at the top of the blue screen). Although I can't remember exactly which ones. I've seen at least 3 or 4 different ones all pertaining to memory.

My pc was on all weekend and all day today so I haven't had a BSOD for the last couple days. I have already set it up to pause so the next time it cold boots(probably tomorrow morning) I'll let you all know what I come up with. Also Shacko, I did what you said and downloaded a large zip file and unzipped it...no CRC errors.

Seriously guys, thanks for all help with this. I'm still learning my ways around a pc so I use forums alot for help. This is one of the better ones, I must say...Anyways, I'll keep you all posted.

Well...no luck here. Set up an RMA on my memory and was wondering how long my RMA number is good for. A friend of mine just finished up a new pc and has offered to test my memory on his system to make sure thats what it is. Been a frustrating last 2 weeks with this and this should make the problem clear. If it causes a BSOD on his system I know is bad...if not, may have to RMA my motherboard.

Archived