Corsair Community

Sudden crashes and red light on AX860i

koonge

I bought a brand new PC in parts except new graphics and sound card, and it keeps shutting down with no warning. It can stay alive anywhere from 10 minutes to about a day. When it dies there is a red light on the AX860i, and I have to turn the PSU off and on for the red light to go away. If I try to start the PC again it will immediately **** down and the red light comes back. After some tries or some waiting it will successfully power up again.

The crashes can come at any time, but they are more frequent when playing games. It does also happen when surfing on chrome etc. and when the PC is ide.

I have tried disconnecting most things running with only:

Corsair AX860i

Asus Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) (Updated BIOS after problem started)

Intel i9 9900k @ XMP 2, XMP 1 and Auto

Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200MHz 2x16GB

Corsair H150i Pro

Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe

Asus Strix GTX 970 (works fine in old PC)

Asus Xonar STX (works fine in old PC)

It also happened before i received those RAM sticks and where using some 2x4 Hyper X 3000 MHz sticks, so ram should not be the problem.

I have tried connecting an old PSU to this build and have had it running 2 days without any problem now. It seemed obvious that the PSU was the problem, so yesterday i connected the AX860i to my old PC and it has been running fine for 20 hours now.

Still have both machines running waiting for one of them to crash so i can be sure if the PSU is the problem or not. Until it crashes on the old computer i can't be sure the problem is not the motherboard or something else.

Everything looks good in iCUE. The different volts are stable, temps are low and fan turns on before the PSU get hot.

What is causing this red light on the PSU? Why does this PSU not play together with my new machine and only my old? I bought PSU and motherboard at different shops so i really need to find out what part is misbehaving. There is of course still a chance for one of these machines to crash, but i really hate this waiting game.

Any tips please?

Thanks for all the tips and help ^^

If anyone is wondering, I got the red light on the AX860i while connected to my old computer during the night, so the PSU is definitely the problem since both machines runs fine with other PSU's.

with it occurring with other systems as well , the only thing you can do is rma it, electronics fail sometimes thats the reason they have warranties. If you have the same issue with the new one from the rma exchange demand a refund and go with a sea sonic that has a 12 year warranty. Thats my 2 cents

Thanks for all the tips and help ^^

If anyone is wondering, I got the red light on the AX860i while connected to my old computer during the night, so the PSU is definitely the problem since both machines runs fine with other PSU's.

Try running the PSU without the mounting screw right below the power cord furthest from the fan and see if the issue persists.

Try running the PSU without the mounting screw right below the power cord furthest from the fan and see if the issue persists.

Wow if that is the reason it would be really strange, but i sent it back to the store yesterday, so i can't test it.

I have been very pleased with my AX850 in my old computer that has been running great 24/7 for 8 years, but i now use that as a server.

Hope to get a new stable AX860i back with the RMA

The stock screws are only 0,5 cm long, and since you don't screw them directly into the psu the metal around the mounting holes also takes some space between.

Have you still not seen any red light after removing the screw jrcobb? It would be so strange if such a short screw is responsible for the problem. This red light has apparently been a big problem for the AX-series for many years.

AX are old enough now if I’m not mistaken. If I were you I’d prefer the newer HX series. Well, sometimes it’s all about luck. Components can fail. Suggesting an OEM doesn’t mean it won’t be able to fail. After all this is a Seasonic OEM. I don’t know about Seasonic’s after sales support but so far Corsair has been more than pleasing in my experience and I wouldn’t change it.

It might be a bit odd what I’m about to say, but, could it be an incompatibility issue? Who knows, but since it happened to two different systems, just RMA the PSU and you’ll be fine with the newer one.

The other system i tested it on is a 10 year old P55 chipset, so it is not likely that it is a compatability issue.

Anyway, the store i bought it from received the PSU back today and i got an e-mail in under 2 hours later saying i will get a new, so i just hope this new one works fine.

AX are old enough now if I’m not mistaken. If I were you I’d prefer the newer HX series. Well, sometimes it’s all about luck. Components can fail. Suggesting an OEM doesn’t mean it won’t be able to fail. After all this is a Seasonic OEM.

This thread is about the AX-i series which is not a seasinic OEM, its Flextronics.

Also the reason i prefer the AXi VS HXi, HXi only supports hardware monitoring where as the AXi allows for user adjustible 12v rail OCP

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/blog/HXi_vs_AXi

Archived