Corsair Community

Problems with case hole alignment

Nordic

The day started well with the arrival of the Corsair 800d case. Unwrapped it to find the cover for the frontpanel missing and that some of the 5.25" covers was not fixed so they would slide in a bit with the slightest touch and not align, not big deal as i could get a new cover plate and new 5.25" covers, but it took some of the joy away.

Next thing i installed the motherboard and added the gfx cards to see how it all aligned, well that did not go well at all so I took out the cards and really pushed the motherboard up to the back. In with the gfx cards to check again and it had not improved at all, I got upset at this stage as I have had the computer bits running for a week with no case and at this stage the wife was not impressed with all the bits in the office so I looked forward to getting the office tidy again with the arrival of the new Corsair case.

I have never seen it that bad since some of the bad cases i bought in the early 90s. After I timed out over lunch I decided to massage/bend the metal a bit to see if I could make the gap acceptable enough to force the cards.

The worst part was the x-fi card and top gfx card so I had to get the middle part forced in a bit, after 2 x times massaging/bending the back case a few minutes I managed to get it as good as I could get it and I am not sure how comfortable I am with it as it stresses the cards slots a bit more than id like too, but as I am traveling with work for the next few weeks I could not leave the house without a working computer.

I took a few pictures of the drama i had today. I have to say I am happy with the layout as I am going to watercool my two 295s so i hope its going to work out for me.

nordiccase1.thumb.jpg.8b70b5cb4cca5f6706c8d2ce4194fa32.jpg

DSC_0052.thumb.jpg.b927085f5c90890407134eb2d8235f9a.jpg

DSC_0053.thumb.jpg.6f79d92a500df7c29ca5c36ba61dcd59.jpg

Dang it, this is not getting better. So far everybody that has received one of these cases and reported on it has had the problem. Could you tell if the problem is with the back of the case or if the motherboard mounting tray is not level/aligned with the rest of the case. From the 1st photo there is a visible lean to the card. I have never had anything close to this with any of my cases. Something is certainly amiss with these cases.

You know, half the review samples arriving to the reviewers broken was worrying.

This? This stuff is downright FRIGHTENING.

I want this case really badly but it costs $370 here and i'm not willing to pay that much for something that will most likely arrive damaged or even deformed.

I hope Corsair will take care of this eventually.

The problem as I see it is with the back panel of the case, as the gap in the picture would disappear if you press in on the middle part of the back panel.

Here is another picture aswell showing the the gap between the cards and back of the case, the x-fi card lifted as much as 1cm at the back when i tried to fix it to that gap before i had a go at it.

Need to have a go at it again as it worries me that I am going to break something, either the classified board or the top two cards.

Also if it was a tiny gap as sometimes is normal with cases I would not have made a fuss about it, it's just that this gap is a lot more than normal and with the price of this thing it should be right.

nordic_case1.thumb.jpg.e6dff61ef6120096142abaeddecdc7df.jpg

Got it sorted today with 5 washers, will do a better job and buy black pop rivets when I install watercooling for the cards and the H50.

Atleast I dont have to worry about the stress on the cards/boards now.

I love the case and look forward to when the build is done completely.

casefix1.thumb.jpg.cf215be1e95c2d0a1c6b57c77b5c17d2.jpg

casefix2.thumb.jpg.04b41e1d58952ee518d91cdfdf3bbacb.jpg

casefix3.thumb.jpg.609be6f5c682aa5d9d802ce3d31b415d.jpg

I am afraid I have the similar problem as Nordic, neither my graphics card nor sound card can be secured into the case with screws.

If I attempt to line up the screw holes in the case with the backplates on the cards it in lifts the cards out of the PCI slots by a few milimeters that although doesn't sound much is a little worrrying.

Could it be my motherboard tray part of the case is at an angle greater than 90 degrees to the back plate ? (searches for protractor)

:(:

This is such a worry. You don't go spending this amount of money, to have these issues. When reviews started appearing, and some of them showed damaged cases, i thought it had something to do with the pre-production boxes they arrived in. But sadly no..

I know that Corsair are great when it comes to replacing faulty units. I was offered the same thing when my VX550 was (still are) to damn noisy. But i live in Denmark. I don't know how much it would coast to ship the case back to Corsair, but it's a fortune i'm sure. Even shipping it back to a dealer here in Denmark will coast a lot, and be a big bother as i don't have a car, and have to pay a small fortune for a cab to get to the postoffice. In Denmark the case seems to coast 386.073 USD shipping not included. For that i want something near perfection, and that is what this case offeres, if it weren't for the missallignment issue.

I understand that Corsair is working on it, and i believe they're doing their best. Noone can ask for more. But for now it seems i'll have to wait buying the case. Not sure i'm up for bothering with problems when i'm dishing out a lot of money.

I hope it will be possible to identify the improved cases/boxes when times come. I still rly want one of these beautiful cases. I just don't want to buy something that's out of allignment or damaged because it isn't packaged properly.

PS: According to HardwareCanucks it would be a good idea to see to the paint on the front as well. I son't know if the problem is caused by not letting the paint dry. But it would look damn stupid, if you pealed of half the logo when removing the plastic on the front.

Looking foreward to seeing what Corsair will do about the problems. You guys have created something spectacular. Hope you get to make it right too.

Too much to ask for a few screws so i could fix my ssd's to the drive bays ? had to drive into town to pick up a small bag of them screws for 5 euro :( Also you need them screws if you want to fix the optical drive with screws too, yeah I know there is a screw less design on the 5.25 slots but they are not great are they as my blu-ray drive is not 100% fixed as it moves a bit.

Getting a bit annoyed now, still love the case though.

This is such a worry. You don't go spending this amount of money, to have these issues. When reviews started appearing, and some of them showed damaged cases, i thought it had something to do with the pre-production boxes they arrived in. But sadly no..

I know that Corsair are great when it comes to replacing faulty units. I was offered the same thing when my VX550 was (still are) to damn noisy. But i live in Denmark. I don't know how much it would coast to ship the case back to Corsair, but it's a fortune i'm sure. Even shipping it back to a dealer here in Denmark will coast a lot, and be a big bother as i don't have a car, and have to pay a small fortune for a cab to get to the postoffice. In Denmark the case seems to coast 386.073 USD shipping not included. For that i want something near perfection, and that is what this case offeres, if it weren't for the missallignment issue.

I understand that Corsair is working on it, and i believe they're doing their best. Noone can ask for more. But for now it seems i'll have to wait buying the case. Not sure i'm up for bothering with problems when i'm dishing out a lot of money.

I hope it will be possible to identify the improved cases/boxes when times come. I still rly want one of these beautiful cases. I just don't want to buy something that's out of allignment or damaged because it isn't packaged properly.

PS: According to HardwareCanucks it would be a good idea to see to the paint on the front as well. I son't know if the problem is caused by not letting the paint dry. But it would look damn stupid, if you pealed of half the logo when removing the plastic on the front.

Looking foreward to seeing what Corsair will do about the problems. You guys have created something spectacular. Hope you get to make it right too.

I'm from Denmark too, and I already ordered one from Komplett.dk. I'll be getting mine tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes. Crossing my fingers!

Hey Nordic! Always fun to encounter another "nothener":-)

When you get it up and running i would love to hear something about noise from mainly the psu and the hdd's. Is it a problem that they haven't installed antivib materials, or does the case dampen the noisy from the hdd's and the vibrations from the psu well?

Hi Johnny, I have only ssd's so no noise there :) But will get back to you regards to the PSU. Still have not got it up an running yet as I had to get screws for the ssd's in town today.

You sir have to much money:-p Any thought on noise are welcome. From what i've read in a german review, it's low noise. Only one other case managed to match it at 36,5db if memory serves me right.

That's brilliant Evanesco! Rly looking foreward to hearing from you. I hope you recieve a flawless example :-)

I'd be getting it from Komplett too btw. That's a given atm. Didn't know they had any. Checked the status today, and it said "17/9 confirmed".

Hejsa!

Der er ingen problemer med mit kabinet fra Komplett.dk, Så du kan rolig bestille. Har lige installeret, og alt er som forventet, og virker bare perfekt. Selv min tykke radiator på 104mm passer perfekt i toppen. Jeg hører ingen støj fra mine mekaniske harddiske, og mine SSD er passede også perfekt i.

Hi

I have no problems with case hole alignment here. Everything works as expected and works just perfect. Even my 104mm thick radiator sandwich fits perfectly in the top of the case. I hear no noise from my mechanical discs, and my SSDs also fits perfectly.

This case i a MUST HAVE!! It's amazing. Can't praise it enough!

Hi, can you take a picture of the screws you used for the ssd's ?

I used the optical drive type screws but the head on them are too big.

Thanks

Yes, I struggled with it too. The optical drive type screws are to big. You have to find screws one size smaller. I had some around I just used.

Hejsa!

Der er ingen problemer med mit kabinet fra Komplett.dk, Så du kan rolig bestille. Har lige installeret, og alt er som forventet, og virker bare perfekt. Selv min tykke radiator på 104mm passer perfekt i toppen. Jeg hører ingen støj fra mine mekaniske harddiske, og mine SSD er passede også perfekt i.

Hi

I have no problems with case hole alignment here. Everything works as expected and works just perfect. Even my 104mm thick radiator sandwich fits perfectly in the top of the case. I hear no noise from my mechanical discs, and my SSDs also fits perfectly.

This case i a MUST HAVE!! It's amazing. Can't praise it enough!

Kanon!! Man kan kun glæde sig over at vi har PostDK, da de - trods det brok man typisk smider i deres retning - i det mindste sjældent smadrer pakkerne. Jeg har ventet spændt på at høre fra dig, og er rigtig glad for meldingen. Faktisk har jeg bestilt kabinettet, men har hele dagen overvejet, at annullere. Der er dukket flere beretninger om smadrede kabinetter op rundt omkring u see.

Tak Evan. Det gorde godt at høre. Ligeledes tak for at du inkluderede støjvurderingen. Føj hvor jeg glæder mig til at få det:-)

Great! I'm glad we have Post Danmark. Eventhough ppl may bitch about them, they seldom smash the packages. I was looking foreward to hearing from you, and couldn't be happier with what you've written. I have ordered the case, but came very close to canselling the order. More broken cases appeared during the day.

Thanks so much for reporting back to me, and everyone else who might be watching. I appreciate the included comments on noise. Looking foreward to getting it.

PS: Oh and btw: You got lucky. After ordering it, they informed me that they expected it to ship on the 17/9. Damnation.

Corsair George will sort me out with some right screws :)

Also he said to angle the drivebays up a bit while sliding them in and that helped, will look into RMA of the case when I get back from my trip, not sure how possible that will be after i have modded the backplate case with nuts and bolts and front panel with a glue gun. However overclockers.co.uk are aware of the missing front panel cover.

Here is a picture after i finally got it up to wet your appetites for the case.

Watercooling for the 295s and the H50 are on the way so look forward to that.

NordicPreWater.thumb.jpg.ddfba1cd528bad780f1ee61dcfb5ee6c.jpg

Have to say Nordic.. That looks amazing.

I'm planning my first wc build when i get this case. 360 rad and all. Might as well go in stylin' ey?:-) I am however gonna start of with a Micro atx, and aircooling. It's gonna look soo small in the case*lol*I'm waiting for AMD's new chipset to arrive early 2010, and bought a 780G board to tide me over. It's meant to be recycled in a mediacenter when i switch.

Btw: Have anyone tried hiding the last bit of cables from the psu with heatsghrink? Eventhough i think the individual cablesleeves you have used Nordic look rly good, i think they take up to much space. Came close to buying a set from Murderbox, but devided to wait and see if i couldn't get away with heatshrinking them in stead.

Best of luck with your rma Nordic. Hope it goes well.

Yeah.. I'm pretty sceptical too. I just didn't see any reason for buying an expensive motherboard atm. Not when i wanted to wait for the new chipsets, and actually plan to build a mediacenter. But hey.. I'm gonna have plenty of room. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up eccoing in there:-p

Archived