Corsair Community

TR3X3G1600C9 + triple channel + MSI Eclipse x58 very unstable

syscev

Hi Corsair Support,

I need help to get thing to work properly.

Systems specs as stated above.

TR3X3G1600C9 v1.1

1. TR3X3G1600C9 two sticks in dual channel mode using XMP. Its fine, can boot winxp pro.

2. TR3X3G1600C9 three sticks in triple channel mode using XMP. Cannot boot winxp pro, blue screens. Memtest86+ also crashes.

These ram has not been tested for Core i7 triple channel throughly ? :confused:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testing with Memtest86+ 2.10

1. Tested with XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profiles) disable on Triple Channel mode with all 3 ram. Running at 1333Mhz. Pass 9 cycles with no crashing and no errors.

2. Tested with XMP enable on dual channel mode with ram on DIMM_A0 and DIMM_B0. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Pass 2 cycles with no crashing and no errors. Able to boot windows.

3. Tested with XMP ON on triple channel mode. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Sometimes crashes memtest86+ or sometimes able to reach 90%+ but will get the error in the picture below. Cannot boot windows. (BSOD)

Meanwhile I am running triple mode with XMP off.. I would like to fine out how to solve this problem.

http://www.vector.qsurf.org/pics/Image105a.JPG

You are so new in technology that you will very likely need to wait for further BIOS revisions that will clear up all the different DRAM IC's. This is very common with new technology. It took four BIOS revisions before my DRAM was able to hit the high end values.

I always pick my motherboards from the company that has the most BIOS software engineers so that there are more BIOS revisions to deal with issues.

I personally do not use EPP or XMP as by entering manually I have more control over the settings and do not allow the profiles to control values.

You are so new in technology that you will very likely need to wait for further BIOS revisions that will clear up all the different DRAM IC's. This is very common with new technology. It took four BIOS revisions before my DRAM was able to hit the high end values.

I always pick my motherboards from the company that has the most BIOS software engineers so that there are more BIOS revisions to deal with issues.

I personally do not use EPP or XMP as by entering manually I have more control over the settings and do not allow the profiles to control values.

Yeah.. I expected as much but when I buty "Recommended for Core i7" RAM I would expect it to work as advertised. :cool:

Got to wait and see the official replies from MSI and Cosair support so, this problem can be solved. Had a terrible time trying to get new rig up. Only the Ram speed issue is left.

MSI Supports reply..

Dear ,

For your concern,please follow the suggestions below to check:

1.please make sure that each dimm and each ram is OK;

2.clear cmos referring to the user manual and make go to bios to load optimized defaults.

3.please format the disk with a clean system cd and meanwhile change another sata port to check;

4.please update the bios as described in the first mail.

Best regards,

MSI technical support team

Mine..

Reply inline.

For your concern,please follow the suggestions below to check:

1.please make sure that each dimm and each ram is OK;

I ran memtest86+ on them thoroughly

1. Tested with XMP (Intel Extreme Memory Profiles) disable on Triple Channel mode with all 3 ram. Running at 1333Mhz. Pass 9 cycles with no crashing and no errors.

2. Tested with XMP enable on dual channel mode with ram on DIMM_A0 and DIMM_B0. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Pass 2 cycles with no crashing and no errors. Able to boot windows.

3. Tested with XMP ON on triple channel mode. Running at 1600Mhz CAS-9-9-9-24 (auto). Sometimes crashes memtest86+ or sometimes able to reach 90%+ but will get the error in the picture below. Cannot boot windows. (BSOD)

2.clear cmos referring to the user manual and make go to bios to load optimized defaults.

Well I can run memtest86+ and windows just fine on 1333Mhz on triple channel not on 1600Mhz triple channel using XMP.

3.please format the disk with a clean system cd and meanwhile change another sata port to check;

Well I can run memtest86+ and windows just fine on 1333Mhz on triple channel not on 1600Mhz triple channel using XMP.

4.please update the bios as described in the first mail.

Have been using BIOS version v1.3b2 all this while.

Best regards,

Please advise.

Q: How do you program the SPD of XMS parts?

A: Programming the SPD of our XMS parts is a bit problematic. The industry-standard specifications for the SPD values of XMS parts are often not yet defined by JEDEC (the appropriate standards organization) when the parts are introduced. In order to maintain compatibility with the multitudes of motherboards and BIOS revisions out there, the SPD values are programmed at the fastest available parameters defined by JEDEC. The SPD values are defined in the matrix below. Note, though, that in ALL CASES the Corsair part number (which contains the XMS speed grade) is programmed into the SPD as well.

http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=717924#other_modules

TR3X3G1600C9 DDR3-1600 (XMS3-12800C9*XMP*3CH) 3GB Kit (3 x 1GB) 1.65v 9-9-9-24-2T

Well this is what I have and it doesn't work at 1600Mhz using XMP. :[pouts:

Hi, In the Hexus.net review of the Eclipse motherboard from 11/27 they report the following :"It was also disappointing to discover that no matter what combination of BIOS settings were tried, we couldn't get the board to work with the memory running at DDR3-1,600 on our Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU.“ Unfortunately they didn't elaborate as to whether they thought it was the fault of the board or the memory.

Hi, In the Hexus.net review of the Eclipse motherboard from 11/27 they report the following :"It was also disappointing to discover that no matter what combination of BIOS settings were tried, we couldn't get the board to work with the memory running at DDR3-1,600 on our Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU.“ Unfortunately they didn't elaborate as to whether they thought it was the fault of the board or the memory.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16331&page=4

The board is very slow to complete POST sequence and it's easy to mistake this for a failure if you're not patient. Also when trying to run the Corsair DDR3-1,600 kit on this board and use XMP timings, the actual settings applied were both incorrect, when compared against the XMP profile entries, and also inconsistent. One session would often boot with different timings than another. This issue was not observed when setting memory timings via the SPD or even manually, though.

It was also disappointing to discover that no matter what combination of BIOS settings were tried, we couldn't get the board to work with the memory running at DDR3-1,600 on our Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 CPU.

AHHH.. Inconsistent XMP settings eh ? Makes a lot of sense now.. :P Glad to know its isn't my problem alone... Hear that Corsair ! MSI ! :p:

Thanks for the info Maestro99.

Gave your advise about configuring it manually another thought yesterday night and was looking at settings on CPU-Z.. Hmmmm..

XMP Profile

Frequency 800MHz (Ok multiplier set to 6)

CAS# Latency 9 (Found this)

RAS# to CAS# 9 (Found this)

RAS# Precharge 9 (Found this)

Tras 24 (Found this)

Trc 41 (Can't find it.)

Command Rate 2T (Set to 2N)

There were two settings that I didn't set before and that was the Command Rate and DIMM Voltage. Didn't know the correct command rate until then and for the DIMM Voltage, I guess it was too Winduzz of me to think 'Grey Off' meant uneditable and always left it on Auto. DOH!! '-' or '+' modifies the voltage DOH !!...

AND Guess what ! MSI Eclipse + Corsair TR3X3G1600C9 @1600MHz on triple channel boots Windows !!

Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Ran Memtest86+ 2.10 on the damn thing and went to sleep. Woke up this morning... Saw it been running for 4 hr 15 mins (Also realise how little I sleep daily these past few days..) 11 PASSES ! Zero errors at 1600Mhz !!

Props to DerekT for the advise that works.. :D:

No thanks for MSI and Corsair for buggy XMP Profiles... :evil:

Maybe I will post some of shots of the BIOS settings later.

Which slots have you tried? I have the P6T Deluxe and in the first set of tri-channel slots it fails at 1600MHz...

Ahhhh.. I think Intel did a number on us about this.. Gone are the days where you can put your DDR memory on any slot with Dual channel mode or not dual channel being the only penalty.

On my board there are 6 slots... And I noticed they are not labelled.. Maybe I missed it.. I don't know referred to the manual.

Slot No./Slot Name

1 DIMM_A1

2 DIMM_A0

3 DIMM_B1

4 DIMM_B0

5 DIMM_C1

6 DIMM_C0

The MSI stated when you are going to install RAM be it one of six, it must be in this order. DIMM_A0, DIMM_B0, DIMM_C0, DIMM_A1, DIMM_B1, DIMM_C1.

Strange eh ? You cannot install RAM in the A-C1 slots first...

Any try what I mention above.. Find the correct setting for 1600MHz settings from CPU-Z and then set them manually. Early adopters are the guinea pigs unfortunately....... :laughing:

Early adopters are the guinea pigs unfortunately....... :laughing:
This is why I await the Intel "tock" of the Nehalem. The second iteration die shrink of 32nm and CPU optimization. Should be all ironed out by then. Thanks for beta testing for me. :laughing:

Just run the tested settings set manually at Cas 9-9-9-24 at 1.8 Volts 2T Command Rate and hope for a new BIOS from the MB Maker.

Actually resolved the problem by setting manually at CAS 9-9-9-24 at 1.65Volts 2T Command Rate. The XMP Profile is bugged and just doesn't work. It passed memtest86 just fine.

Not sure if its stable enough for games. Is voltage 1.8V safe ? Intel and the motherboard maker kept insisting it be kept to 1.65V.

Ohhh ! they finally replied.

1.8Volts. Safe guys ? :cool: Kind of a vague message. Hehe... Though memtest86 is stable. Not sure whether it is stable enough for gaming. Notice farcry2 crashing to desktop often now.

There some rule saying the memory voltage should not be more then +0.5V of the Cpu Voltage ?

There some rule saying the memory voltage should not be more then +0.5V of the Cpu Voltage ?

Yes, if you raise CPI voltage, then it seems that you will be safe if you then concurrently raise Vdimm. This is what is being seen at Xtremesystems. I personally would NOT raise the Vdimm without a concurrent raise of the QPI voltage.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm hoping he had better luck than I did with the bios update. I've got almost the same issue only worse and with the 6GB kit TR3X6G1600C9. XMP causes my system to lock at CPU init unless I set my bclock up to 166 (weird but true). Now this makes me think that there is a bios issue on this board with Corsair memory. Every memory issue I've seen in my search for a fix has turned out to be on a Corsair+Eclipse combo. Now on top of that issue I may actually have some problems with the sticks I have anyway. Mine are only prime 95 stable at 1333 with timings of 9-10-10-25 1.55v and even then I sometimes get a restart after about 12 hours. Now at 1200 1.50v and auto timings they're rock solid (know its not the processor because i have to overclock it to get to this speed). I wish I could try another brand and send this stuff back but the well known online store i bought it from doesn't do refunds on memory. Oh btw the 1600mhz problem at least on mine hasn't been solve in bios 1.0,1.2,1.3b2 or 1.3b3. I tried them all and did get better stability processor-wise but no change in the memory. Most people do see it resolve with 1.3b2 and beyond though. I'm just not that lucky. :(:

Forgot to mention ran memtest86+ through 6 passes with 1600mhz memory and 160 bclock (cpu I believe 3.2ghz) with no errors and this is on a fresh install of Vista 64 (had the restarting problem on my original install and thought it was OS related).

Forgot to mention ran memtest86+ through 6 passes with 1600mhz memory and 160 bclock (cpu I believe 3.2ghz) with no errors and this is on a fresh install of Vista 64 (had the restarting problem on my original install and thought it was OS related).

You may find that increasing the MCH voltage can bring a stability when both Prime and Memtest pass.

I actually tried pushing all of my voltages on the board up to just below "dangerous" voltages on Friday and it didn't help. Turned everything back down after it didn't help (didn't push memory past 1.65, I was trying to get it to boot at 1600). Funny thing is late Saturday I had firefox open in the background and tried to open something (don't remember what) and had a sudden restart again only with the memory at 1200Mhz this time. Now its getting harder to keep 1200Mhz stable. I have to admit I've never seen memory gradually get less and less stable like this especially running at 1.5v(actually if I run the power saving feature of my motherboard it runs at 1.3v). From watching it, the memory voltage never seems to go over 1.5 in the monitoring software but I swear this stuff acts like its been over-volted. I went on and ordered some more memory from a different manufacturer so i can try it out (1600/1800 so it should be stable at 1600 no matter what). It has a 30 return policy so I don't have to worry about keeping it if it doesn't fix the problem. Having to run this memory at 1066 now has me a bit worried though. I'm just hoping it can hold out until my new modules get in. ;): I'm also hoping that if the new modules work it will prove to support that there is actually a problem. I got a canned response to update my bios when I submitted a ticket for this. Thanks for the advice. I might try messing with just the MCH when I get in from work tonight. Then again i might just break down and start troubleshooting which module is the problem child of the bunch.:):

I actually tried pushing all of my voltages on the board up to just below "dangerous" voltages on Friday and it didn't help. Turned everything back down after it didn't help (didn't push memory past 1.65, I was trying to get it to boot at 1600). Funny thing is late Saturday I had firefox open in the background and tried to open something (don't remember what) and had a sudden restart again only with the memory at 1200Mhz this time. Now its getting harder to keep 1200Mhz stable. I have to admit I've never seen memory gradually get less and less stable like this especially running at 1.5v(actually if I run the power saving feature of my motherboard it runs at 1.3v). From watching it, the memory voltage never seems to go over 1.5 in the monitoring software but I swear this stuff acts like its been over-volted. I went on and ordered some more memory from a different manufacturer so i can try it out (1600/1800 so it should be stable at 1600 no matter what). It has a 30 return policy so I don't have to worry about keeping it if it doesn't fix the problem. Having to run this memory at 1066 now has me a bit worried though. I'm just hoping it can hold out until my new modules get in. ;): I'm also hoping that if the new modules work it will prove to support that there is actually a problem. I got a canned response to update my bios when I submitted a ticket for this. Thanks for the advice. I might try messing with just the MCH when I get in from work tonight. Then again i might just break down and start troubleshooting which module is the problem child of the bunch.:):

Actually I opted not update to bios v1.3b3. A friend of mine suggested that I don't use the beta bios and rather wait for the official release so, I just going to do that since I have not major compelling reason to update it at the moment.

But after about a month of testing it seems there are still lingering problems at 1600MHz on the 1.3b2 bios. It is stable enough to run windows and do normal work but it is not very stable for gaming.. Fallout 3 crashes after some time, crysis warhead crashes after some time, supreme commander crashes after sometime and far cry 2 crashes after a 5 to 10 mins...

Initially I thought it was the game's problems so, decided to finished up fallout 3 first .. (ARGGHH ! I hate the ending..) Tends to crash intermittently after 30 mins to 1hr+ of game time for no apparent reason.

Now I starting to play Far cry 2, I am willing to test this issue again because I recalled Far cry 2 to be stable before... Clean installing the video drivers and all didn't help.. Then I decided why not tone down the ram speed to 1333MHz and like magic Far Cry 2 plays stable for hours without crashing... Hiaz.. Seems like 1600MHz isn't stable enough for gaming.

Dude you should try setting everything manually.

Frequency 667MHz (Ok multiplier set to 5 for 1333, 6 for 1600)

CAS# Latency 9 (Found this)

RAS# to CAS# 9 (Found this)

RAS# Precharge 9 (Found this)

Tras 24 (Found this)

Trc 41 (Can't find it.)

Command Rate 2T (Set to 2N)

DRAM Volts to 1.65v (Greyed out doesn't mean you can't change it.)

Try 1333Mhz first... Stable enough for gaming...

Would like to point out one thing. Now I managed to mitigate the problem somewhat I don't bother checking their support ticket any more. Only received an emailed noticed today.

They claim that their latest v1.35 bios has resolved some XMP problems. Looks like I must try this out later for the sake of other people... :cool: Hope I don't brick my board or something.... Oh well the local distributor like bus ride away... (Happens to be distributor for Corsair too btw :sunglasse)

Here's the support log:

I seem to have managed to resolve the problem by setting the configuration manually and not using XMP.

You can refer to this post in the Corsair support forums.

http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74660

(I notice the thread number might change you can also go to http://www.asktheramguy.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130

And look for my thread subject "TR3X3G1600C9 + triple channel + MSI Eclipse x58 very unstable")

You can also refer to other complaints of Corsair DDR3 instability at 1600Mhz on triple channel using the MSI Eclipse on this review site.

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16331&page=4

Your XMP Profile implementation could be bugged.

Dear,

Sorry for my late reply.

For your concern,we have done a test.Regrettably here we don't have the memories you mentioned.

The test configurations are as follows:

MB:7520-010(BIOS:v1.34)

CPU:intel i7 920

Mem:DDR3-1600/Corsair/CM3X2G1600C9DHX without xmp(triple channel)

DDR3-1333/********/KHX11000D3LLK2/2GX with xmp(dual channel)

VGA:R4850

As memories of DDR3-1600 don't support xmp,we could not test the issue.But we could install the system normally.

For your concern,please go to our ftp BIOS/7520 to download the biosfile A7520IMS.134 to update then check again.

Now you could install the system normally with triple channel?

Best regards,

Dear,

For your concern,A7520IMS.135 has solved some xmp issue.Please update the bios to it.

Could you please tell us the result of your issue?If the issue remains,we will ask some departments to check it.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused by us and thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Dear,

Could you please kindly tell us whether the issue has been resolved by flashing the bios.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

It failed... bios v1.35 doesn't help the xmp issue.... Doing intel burn test v1.9 at 1600mhz (manual) is also unstable...

I guess I better switch back to 1333mhz with EIST on to save power.

I only received a noticed about your replies today.

I installed bios v1.35. Turn XMP on and everything else on auto. Windows XP cannot even boot so, I guess that's a fail.

Archived