The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 03-11-2015, 04:28 PM

POST ID # = 765647
Extreme MODS Reputation: 10
Default CASE MOD : OLD School To New (Sponsored by Corsair)

Hello This is my current project in progress and is nearly finished

I'm fortunate enough to Announce that Yours Truly, Corsair,,is a sponsor for this project, Thank You Corsair.

Hello This is my current project in progress and is nearly finished

I'm fortunate enough to Announce that Yours Truly, Corsair,,is a sponsor for this project, Thank You Corsair.

OK in lower down post is a lot of images for you all to see..
This has been a dream of mine ever since i saw my first mod done on YouTube..one of the great Bill Owens Mods and from there on out Ive been hooked.
This project is a representation Of my hopes and dreams to maybe one day be able to work for a company like Corsair and i am not saying this just to boast because they are involved im a hardware PC freak if i could afford it id build a new rig each day.
It has been a bumpy ride so far with a lot of changes and "hiccups" a long the way but slowly but surely im making progress.
I am Sorry for bad image quality and very unorganized layout but i do hope you all can follow and enjoy this.
A Lot of the items used are what i already had(im a bit of an hoarder and keep a lot of old broken things for one day they might be treasures) or either recycled from the rubbish sites ..a very unique part is thanks to my little one who saw them on the sidewalk of a building sight ..You'll see them in the pics as what looks like brown air vents..and you'll be correct cause they are..they're from AC units that most likely was trashed by the owners and dumped..well another s trash is my Treasure in the end..

The Case itself belonged to dear friend who moved away after a horrible break up and gave it to another mutual friend who in the end moved away fro the exact same reason but a bit more serious (divorce issues),,so it ended up with me in the end...
now Ive been planning do to a mod for along time but never got the nerve to destroy a new case so on Christmas day i took out this old timer and began taking it apart ..and from there on out its been one idea on top of the other...i went from simple cuts to nearly really destroying the entire cases parts..but luckily didn't.

In the pics you will see a few design ideas i did..sorry im no pro at renders but ill get it right eventually..these are what i would like to have this project turn out to look and be capable of doing..mind you its only a old mid Tower so space is limited...which brings me to the next chapter..

Im completely doing new top and front panels from scratch and using a variety of materials..from wood to acrylic to steel, all in an effort to get the added space required for any future parts like custom water cooling parts.

The case could only handle 3 120mm fans before in the traditional fashion, but after im done, excluding the H100i i received fans or fans for this, it will be able to house
3x120mm in the front
3x120mm in the top
1x120mm in the rear
2x120mm on the side panel ( which can serve as either the usual exhaust or intake or in a future idea be the fan holes for a 240mm rad)

You will also see big metal that looks like a tray, Its exactly that, but its an industrial grade steel tray actually meant for baking goods in ovens, a friend who is helping me out with some of the stuff gave me this piece..i intend to utilize it for certain purposes like mesh or something crazy..

Later down the line you will see some parts painted and no its not done yet i only have access to the spray tools when the owner is available and he made a monumental mockup first time around, lets just say some parts came out pink instead of satin white..OOH which brings me to the theme.
I am going go with a white theme and maybe some black accents, i know boring and been there done that type of theme, but i couldn't go with my original plan of white with carbon fiber and orange as i can find all the needed materials in SA. We don't really have shops here that cater directly for modders so its either fork up and import if you're a billionaire or make due with whats on hand.

so im bumming out and defaulting back jo mostly white and hopefully it all comes out good.i want a nice dull matt look too the paint i am no to fond of high glossy paints as it ruins the actual reason for doing a stylish but yet high quality Mod in my opinion...no disrespect to others its just my taste..

I am truly grateful for this opportunity to be working/CO-Working with a company like Corsair for this project, I means everything to me as i haven't had a real source of income for while now so i im pouring my heart and soul into may passion for computers and such & i hope Everybody can enjoy my journey with me.

Parts list will be added later down the line i don't want to spill the beans at once just yet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-12-23 11.05.42.jpg (271.0 KB, 875 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-12-23 11.06.13.jpg (502.0 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-12-23 12.53.11.jpg (539.4 KB, 677 views)

Last edited by Extreme MODS; 03-26-2015 at 05:52 PM. Reason: privacy /safety and added info

Old 03-12-2015, 05:50 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 765833
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Keep us posted of your progress
and welcome...

Old 03-13-2015, 01:53 PM
Corsair Employee

POST ID # = 765984
Greybeard Reputation: 14

Nice to see you here X Welcome!

Perhaps post some of the photos that shows build progression.. that is a good way to catch attention and will most likely start constructive discussion in this thread.

Have fun with your build

Old 03-26-2015, 04:40 PM

POST ID # = 768868

finaly after struggling 4weeks to be able to log in here..I forgot my Passw and yeah..i deleted the register info by accident in my emails..

lets see if the links will work this time...thanks for the welcome guys...i cant thank everyone enough for all the support so far on here and others...

next update hopefully a lot of pics

Old 03-26-2015, 04:53 PM

POST ID # = 768874

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Extreme MODS; 03-26-2015 at 05:11 PM. Reason: more images being added

Old 04-01-2015, 06:21 AM

POST ID # = 769856

so i am still working on the actual case and trying to obtain the rest of the build parts but im feeling generous and thought id show off some stuff so long
hope all enjoy

Old 04-18-2015, 04:20 AM

POST ID # = 773384

hi guys small update i hit major issues with the paint work as the spray painter completely screwed this up for me.. how can someone with over 20yrs exp mess up something so simple...im no spray painter but if he let me use the tools id surely done better...small update and ideas added for this hope to be able to fix this mess and finish this case so i can start on the next...hope you all enjoy

Old 05-04-2015, 01:45 PM

POST ID # = 777273

hi all here are some render's of what i hope to achieve with this mod and i hope to be able to reach my goals. Ill be posting new photos soon of the new paint work..see ya soon

Old 05-31-2015, 06:07 AM

POST ID # = 781939

ok small update on progress..i had to resort to nearly stripping off all previuos paint work and redo a few parts..once the actual case is done i only have a few small items i need to attend to..will keep this updated as much as possible

Old 05-31-2015, 09:24 AM
mcr1878's PC Specs

POST ID # = 781957
mcr1878 Reputation: 10

Thats a lot of old school graft.

Even respraying the case. I like it.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:26 AM

POST ID # = 782317

you should see it now...after the last sanding session my friend "AGAIN" thought its funny to mess around with paints only this time instead he thought its funny to spray PRIMER instead of actual paint, somehow he managed to mix up the canisters..all the current paint peeled OFF instantly to bare metal....i don't know what he how he could be so reckless but
i told him once more..how can you claim to have over 20+yrs exp spray painting from building yachts, boats, trucks and screw this up for me this much...

peeps i am truly sorry if i had the funds to acquire my own tools for this i would've been done by a Nile long....im doing my best to fix this...

Old 06-02-2015, 11:48 AM

POST ID # = 782321

Old 06-02-2015, 12:11 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 782327
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Sounds like we need another painter,20 years exp this should be a breeze
good luck and keep us posted...
every step in my build was done by me as its how I say I actually built it,,try it you can do it.

Last edited by wytnyt; 06-02-2015 at 12:13 PM.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:52 PM

POST ID # = 782438

i am doing it all myself..bar the paint job..i did tell him let me do it..but he refuses to let me touch his tools..a spray gun costs almost 1k,,you get cheapo s here to for 400zar..but all plastic...and current living arrangements(real life) doesn't allow me to spend a dime on this project..work has been extremely slow(none) and family responsibilities take up most income resources....i already had a lot of debt at the beginning of this for paint and stuff..when i managed to clear that and all other bills...i remained true to my word to not stray into temptation again...i cant afford it....i am cooling of for a day or two as to avoid a unnecessary fighting...im very short tempered by nature..so ill be at the helm over the weekend....till then i dont want to see him at all..

again i am truly sorry to all the viewers and i apologize to Corsair for the delay...this is not my intent at all..but i try make do with what i can...

Old 06-02-2015, 06:54 PM

POST ID # = 782439

if any one can point me in the right direction were to try get SEM branded self etching primer and the proper spray cans ..please point the way...