The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Old 11-01-2015, 07:17 AM

POST ID # = 817423
Extreme MODS Reputation: 10

ok i have to ask and i have always been a true corsair man since the early first ddr ram days..and have always been forward and say it as it is..

i have a major gripe with the retail/sp series fans mounting setup.
Their outstanding qaulity but the rubber then plastic inserts has got to change i think..from a standpoint of someone who inserts and removes things a lot..

I was doing some layout planning and removing the fans when i felt one of the corners just twist , twist, twist..when i looked closer, i saw that the inner section were the screws go into refused to release the fan screw and tore the whole rubber grommet open...
now i have yet to see others with same issue..maybe i just know my own strength..but none the less i feel i have to share this with you all..and hope corsair will consider changing the design to be more robust...i have a few ideas for that...

hope you all have a awesome weekend..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:37 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 817459
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

I think the reason for the rubbers like they are is so that it can grab the screw and hold the fan in place.
however
if the screw goes thru and anchors to the case is where the problem comes into play.
some use a lubricant
me-I just drill it out some...

Old 11-01-2015, 02:12 PM
LiquidNinja
Synthohol's PC Specs

POST ID # = 817475
Synthohol Synthohol Reputation: 103
Send a message via AIM to Synthohol Send a message via Yahoo to Synthohol

i thought the rubber grommets were for vibration dampening?

System Specs as of 6/17/10

Old 11-01-2015, 05:07 PM
brainsapiens's PC Specs

POST ID # = 817495
brainsapiens Reputation: 10

I experienced the same problem with fans and spoiled one too, so now I'm adding some oil on screw before screwing it into the hole

Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 PM

POST ID # = 818259

helo yes they are..but the design is really flawed..you have:
1-fan frame plastic-big holes..way to big
2nd- rubber insert...
3rd- fan screw inner INSIDE THE RUBBER....
this is were the problem is..once you screw/unscrew them too often,,like i have too for layout testing etc..the screws grip on very tightly to the inner plastic inside the rubber corner...mine twisted itself complete out of the rubber..all that aside it still has three ok corners and i usually only use two at a tiime to attach it to what ever..

ok update..way overdue guys..theres a new addition to the case..an add on top cooling box..

hello every one. sorry for the RIP...been busy with new ideas and making things fit insdie the case..and here is what i
came up with, now i know some of you may think..wft..haf stacker? but no no no..not stacker..
just me and my crazyness..

heres a sneak peak of whats to come..my layout plans are 360mm rad in the top mounted inside a self made rad box..another 360 internaly with a 240..and will try to push in a aio for madness..

which is yet another recycled part of a old pc case from before the P1 days...i cut it to size and the fan mounts (will show later)

sorry for bad pics. but still only have phone cam handy..i do borrow better one often, but cant always..

will post final pics of this top addition once its done..

deleted..irrelevant
thats it for now

Last edited by Extreme MODS; 04-18-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:23 PM

POST ID # = 819924

ok..smal announcement...i have a new sponsor for the project.
I wish to welcome EVGA to the team and thank them open hearted.i will do my best to make you and all proud..thank you EVGA

Old 11-13-2015, 10:14 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 819927
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Ive been watching alot of builds here lately and comparing yours to several here,most would rate yours at the lower end of the scale.
but...
If I were judging Id easily declare you the winner hands down for several reasons which I think others should consider,
Reasons such as
Your skill level is advancing as you continue your build regardless of setbacks
You lack the proper tools for a pro job but being persistent is making up for it.
But most important,the work done is your work and not being cut,milled or fabbed by a shop with you taking credit for it.
I think your sponsors made a wise choice choosing you
Keep up the good work...and at the end of the day,you can truly call it yours...

Old 11-14-2015, 04:30 PM

POST ID # = 820035

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytnyt View Post
Ive been watching alot of builds here lately and comparing yours to several here,most would rate yours at the lower end of the scale.
but...
If I were judging Id easily declare you the winner hands down for several reasons which I think others should consider,
Reasons such as
Your skill level is advancing as you continue your build regardless of setbacks
You lack the proper tools for a pro job but being persistent is making up for it.
But most important,the work done is your work and not being cut,milled or fabbed by a shop with you taking credit for it.
I think your sponsors made a wise choice choosing you
Keep up the good work...and at the end of the day,you can truly call it yours...
thank you,,youve been a real support for this./me from the getgo..
frankly i dont care what THE PROS think of this..heck theres a guy on OC3d who keeps pesting me..saying im stupid and he doesnt understand anything i am doing...
My goal from the start with this was not too only draw attention for who ever participates...but its my soul..my heart..my last bit of PC love i had left in me poored into each inch of this case and each new section made...especially after my ex partner screwed me out of my business i started from nothing.. but thats life...i now focus only on high end builds for people..and provide nothing more than my highest standards to those who need it.

Ive been struggling 1/2 my life just to get my life in order..and this ..hopefully in the end..will get me were i need to be in life..and that is to get a full time job NOT IN SA..but for one or any brand willing to give me a chance to apply my skills...I never went to collage and everything i know i learned the hard way in life..from catering, to restuarant, hotel, painter, PC enthusiast...ive spent more time on google than i think the people who made google...just to learn more each time...youtube..i think youtube is getting tired of me watching them....

i want to thank the few sponsors again for helping me to prove that something can be done with nothing...and just sheer passion for this industry..

and thank you again wytnyt...granted im not as active on this forum as id like to be...but im stil dependant on free wifi hotspots mostly..so i cant be here as much as i wish...i can contribute a lot more than just this MOD...

Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 AM

POST ID # = 829087

hi everyone...feel i must digress..project has come to complete halt...NO FUNDS..and struggling to obtain more input from vendors for final parts needed...i apologise..i will continue to update as i can..till later..thank you

Old 02-15-2016, 03:19 PM

POST ID # = 837232

good day im sad to announce that im RE JECTING/RENOUNCING ONE OF MY SPONSORS FOR THIS PROJECT

I AM SORRY AQUA TUNING, BUT THINGS ARENT WORKING OUT
I HAVE BEEN HONEST TO THE CORE, DID EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK AND DID EVERYTHING TO UP HOLD AND MARKET YOUR BRAND BUT WITHOUT THE PROPER INPUT FROM THEIR SIDE I CAN NOT LINGER ANY LONGER LIKE THIS

IM RESPECTFULLY APOLOGIZING AND I RENOUNCE YOU I WILL CONTINUE WITHOUT YOU AND STILL MAKE THIS A SUCCESS

Old 04-18-2016, 10:45 AM

POST ID # = 847798

long overdue update, i have finally hit some luck, Ive acquired a motherboard and CPU for this project, granted not brand new but it will stock rock the heavens and earth beneath it, if all goes smoothly ill also be able to get a GPU for this...just hope my luck holds up...stay tuned for more...will reveal what it is once i receive it...

all i can say now is its looking like something along the lines of an i7 and a very limited edition board...gpu will be something special also..but will have to save up a lot more

Old 07-12-2016, 03:29 PM

POST ID # = 862150

ok bad news..the board i got is a x79 rog black with i7 4930K....sad news is it is doa....i pulled out all the stops...to test it out..no matter what not even a complete power drain( hard reset) fixed it..it doesn't post at all....tried it with two different psu units,,brand new...no dice....so im back to square one

Old 07-30-2016, 09:03 AM

POST ID # = 864888

HI folks...small update..despite recent bad news..i have some goods news...a new addition to the participating vendors
Grizzly Thermal solutions
http://www.thermal-grizzly.com/en/

has graciously agreed for me to use their products for testing/usage with this project

thank you grizzly

Old 09-16-2016, 04:54 AM

POST ID # = 871522

My samples have arrived
Thermal pads
Three different types of thermal compound
Will post pics and information soon

Thanks grizzly
And everyone watching

Old 10-02-2016, 11:50 AM

POST ID # = 873935

currently testing the aeronaut on an old lga775 board with q6600
gts 250 asus dark knight

before idle cpu was in the 40s and load in the upper 70s using the stock intel cooler
after idle cpu came down too 30s and load temps mid 60s
the gpu i got from a old friend(dentists kid)
it idled in the 40s and reached a monster high 70s under load
i used the aeronaut on both the cpu and gpu
the gpu came down to idle mid 30s and load never exceeds the 50s..

using Farcry2 in dx10 ultra settings and the built in benchmark
also currently testing this with Assassins Creed Black flag which is a more moderate game..and same results,,,,

next step is to clean it off and test the other samples

ill post back results when i have more time...