Corsair Community

RAID 0 on SSD and TRIM support.

sblantipodi

Right, Intel RST does not support TRIM for SSDs in RAID0 array atm. This feature should become available with the next 11.5 release. Anyway, TRIM is supported for single SSDs which are connected to SATA controller in RAID mode (e.g. HDD RAID).

Do you know if every Sandy Bridge motherboard will be able to use the TRIM by installing the 11.5 RST driver?

I can't see any improvements in RAID 0 without trim. Your disks will became slower in really few days. Am I wrong?

Do you know if every Sandy Bridge motherboard will be able to use the TRIM by installing the 11.5 RST driver?

I can't see any improvements in RAID 0 without trim. Your disks will became slower in really few days. Am I wrong?

The Intel RST driver works with many of the newer Intel chipsets, which a P67 certainly is. Earlier Intel chipsets like the ICH10R, ICH9R, ICH8R. and a few earlier ones will also work, as long as they are 'R' (or "DO") type chipsets. All the new 6-series and 7-series chipsets support RAID. The RST driver does not supply the TRIM command, that comes from Windows. A file stored in a RAID array does not have the same LBA that the Windows file system has for a file, and the LBA information in the TRIM command could not be translated into the file addresses of files split when stored in RAID arrays. Intel has apparently found a way to do that for RAID 0 arrays (only) and let's hope it works.

Will a RAID 0 array of SSDs become slower in a few days without TRIM? No it won't! I have a RAID 0 SSD array with Windows 7 on it, and it has not slowed down at all. All recent SSDs have a function in their firmware called "Garbage Collection", that performs the same kind of clean up work that the TRIM command helps a SSD accomplish. GC works better with the TRIM commands help, but it does function without it. If you don't fill up all the space on a SSD, GC will be able to work better than if the SSD is almost or completely full.

The only Windows product that provides the TRIM command is Windows 7 and Server 2008, so if SSDs are to work with Vista or XP, they must take care of themselves, and SSD manufactures have made sure their products won't fail without TRIM.

With TRIM's help, cleaning up a SSD is faster, but GC alone works fine for many SSD users.

Archived