Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > iCUE Software

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 AM
ftln's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963578
ftln Reputation: 10
Default iCUE + Remote Desktop

Hello,

I remote desktop into my home workstation multiple times per day in the week to carry out cpu intensive tasks (work pc is a pile of dog turd).

My home workstation is equipped with Corsair Commander Pro and H110i and iCUE can controll these perfectly apart from when I remote desktop into my workstation, I get the the message "No Device Detected" :

Is this a known issue ?
Is there plans to fix this ?

For info, my PC is freshly installed with 1803 WIN 10 and has the following hardware :

Intel Core i7 8086K @ 5.00GHz Delidded @1.2v - Asus ROG Z370 Strix - G.SKill Aegis 2400mhz@3066mhz 2x16GB - NZXT MANTA BLACK/RED - PM961 1TB x 2 RAID0 - Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair H110 Pro - Corsair Commander Pro - Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 2560x1440P G-Sync 165Hz

Last edited by ftln; 07-15-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:48 AM
ftln's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963581

Here are the exported logs :

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AopuLWyAFQBJoFxzgIdmixEjly4l
Old 07-15-2018, 11:59 AM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963583
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Yeah ... I do the same thing. From what I understand, iCue disconnects when the workstation is locked. Since the workstation gets locked when you connect remotely with Remote Desktop, guess what? Yeah ... that.

So ... known issue. Plans to fix? Not that I'm aware of but feedback can change that.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 PM
ftln's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963584

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Yeah ... I do the same thing. From what I understand, iCue disconnects when the workstation is locked. Since the workstation gets locked when you connect remotely with Remote Desktop, guess what? Yeah ... that.

So ... known issue. Plans to fix? Not that I'm aware of but feedback can change that.
Thanks Devbiker, how does this affect myfans and my waterpump, will the profile assigned to them still work when I am in remote desktop ?
This beahaviuor was not present with Link, and I cant afford to have components overheating when Im using the system remotely.

Last edited by ftln; 07-15-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:08 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963585

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftln View Post
Thanks Devbiker, how does this affect myfans and my waterpump, will the profile assigned to them still work when I am in remote desktop ?
This beahaviuor was not present with Link.
Yes, the Performance settings for the fans and the AIO will still be applied; they are actually handled by the Corsair Service from values written to a file in %ProgramData%\Corsair\Cue\Settings.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 07-15-2018, 01:32 PM
ftln's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963595

Thanks again for the swift reply, so if I understand correctly I dont even have to have the icue app open for the default profile to function ? I can remove the option to start iCue app at startup ?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftln View Post
Thanks again for the swift reply, so if I understand correctly I dont even have to have the icue app open for the default profile to function ? I can remove the option to start iCue app at startup ?
Only for the Performance settings. Lighting requires iCue.

Note that you can save settings to some devices (AIOs) as well. This will be in the Profiles hamburger menu and it looks like an SD-Card. Not all lighting effects save to all coolers but the fan/pump settings should.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:01 PM
hastegag's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963622
hastegag Reputation: 20

thank you both I do this roughly everyday as well, and both systems have CUE or iCUE installed and my mileage is as described above. I never really thought about the performance settings as mine are not profile dependent, but I get that is a major concern especially if you were running CPU heavy tasks.

A little off topic, but for what it is worth, somewhat interestingly, MS terminal services / RDP seems to send arbitrary keyboard input, like I have my SDK app using the register_callback example to send obscure reserved keys when the macro keys are pressed.

So if the SDK app is running at work or at home and I remote desktop to the other endpoint, the SDK's emitted keys are recognized on the other computer and behave as such (which is pretty sweet). I do not suspect Cue has anything to do with that behavior, but possible worth noting.

Truthfully, this thread is related to http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...=179439&page=2
and I'm curious if a task scheduled event could get us over the challenges:

https://superuser.com/questions/1214...eing-triggered

Probably worth the dev team looking at? and seeing if a user could choose to store a password to do CUE stuff in lock?
Old 07-15-2018, 06:47 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963650

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastegag View Post
Truthfully, this thread is related to http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthre...=179439&page=2
Yes, I think that it is directly related. If they do one, they'll do the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hastegag View Post
Probably worth the dev team looking at? and seeing if a user could choose to store a password to do CUE stuff in lock?
I'm not sure that it's necessary. While I can understand the unavailability of external peripherals while the workstation is locked (you aren't there, right?), I don't think that it's necessary to go that far. After all, Link has no issues with USB connections to DIY devices when the workstation is locked does it?

Regardless, I'm glad that I'm not the only one that wants to manage iCue via Remote Desktop.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 AM
ftln's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963694

What is the best way that we can escalate this to corsair ?

I really need a way to switch to my maximum speed fan profile when I remote desktop to this workstation to do some heavy workloads.

Last edited by ftln; 07-16-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 11:11 AM
iCue βeta Team
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963764
solarity Reputation: 33

I was looking into this for remote monitoring and I spoke to DevBiker about it and he said RDP didn't work with iCue at this time. I am have limited use of Window's consumer products. I mostly use Windows Server level operating systems. From what I just read Windows 10 does not support mutli-user mode or multipe/sessions. I wonder if it would work on Windows 2012 R2 or 2016? That is if the limitation is due to locking.

@ftln, why not set a more dynamic fan curve to handle your system when it is under load? I do not like any manual control of my fans, I have my profile setup based off coolant temp.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Corsair all my opinions are my own.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:29 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963775

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
I was looking into this for remote monitoring and I spoke to DevBiker about it and he said RDP didn't work with iCue at this time. I am have limited use of Window's consumer products. I mostly use Windows Server level operating systems. From what I just read Windows 10 does not support mutli-user mode or multipe/sessions. I wonder if it would work on Windows 2012 R2 or 2016? That is if the limitation is due to locking.

@ftln, why not set a more dynamic fan curve to handle your system when it is under load? I do not like any manual control of my fans, I have my profile setup based off coolant temp.
Win10 does support fast user switching, which is a multiuser mode. However, only one can be active at any given time; the other profiles are running in the background.

And no, it works the same on server operating systems (which aren't, btw, officially supported). I have iCue and lighting and all on my home server running Windows Server 2016.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:39 PM
iCue βeta Team
solarity's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963785
solarity Reputation: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
Win10 does support fast user switching, which is a multiuser mode. However, only one can be active at any given time; the other profiles are running in the background.

And no, it works the same on server operating systems (which aren't, btw, officially supported). I have iCue and lighting and all on my home server running Windows Server 2016.
How about multi-users? You have user DevBiker logged onto Console0, while Solarity is logged into RDP in 2016?

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Corsair all my opinions are my own.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:21 PM
iCue βeta Team Green
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963796

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarity View Post
How about multi-users? You have user DevBiker logged onto Console0, while Solarity is logged into RDP in 2016?
Well, iCue doesn't work at all over RDP. BUT if it was going to, then it should be the console login that rules. But I'm not sure how much effort they should put into that specific scenario as it's pretty far outside the typical use case AND server OS's aren't officially supported.

SO ... in your scenario, DevBiker Rulez, Solarity Droolz. ;-)

Old 07-16-2018, 03:04 PM
ftln's PC Specs

POST ID # = 963802

Thanks guys for the input.

I'm just hoping they haven't excluded RDP functionality on purpose.

I have set a more aggressive fan profile for the time being but I just cant get it out of my head that it may fail and burn out some of my components. I like to be able to monitor in real-time exactly what the fans & pumps are doing.