Corsair Community

Fastest Windows 98 Computer For Gaming

Im curious to know if anyone here has built a mega fast win98 computer and if so what parts did you use?

I know win98 doesnt support sata or anything like that but id love to see what people have done.

Im not interested in virtual computing

I couldn't imagine using a OS or Mhz that slow these days,even tho my builds carry some of the fastest components available,I still wish they were faster...

Most of the time with a lot of people its just pointless number chasing and most people dont even use their mid range computers to their fullest

When windows 95 came out i was instantly addicted, its customisation options were awsome compared to windows 3.1, i sat there for hours just changing colour schemes etc lol.

then came windows 98, they made it even better imo but 95 still is the king to me as its the first icon based os i ever used, a huge improvement over 3.1

Some of the best games ever made only run on windows 98, to me the gameplay and game itself is more important than the graphics, modern motherboards really ought to have backwards compatibilty with 95/98 imo

URU ages beyond myst to this day is my favourite game

At the time i had a pentium III 866mhz with a QDI legend socket 370 motherboard, i freakin LOVED that computer, the graphics card was a geforce2 mx 32mb and had 512mb ram, then upgraded to 768mb with the maxfilecache fix

Another great cpu for windows 98 was the athlon xp 3200+, it was very fast at the time and ripped through anything, mine ran on a ECS elitegroup board with a agp 8x ati x800 xt grapohics card 256mb

• 4 weeks later...
Nowadays tab browser need 200 mb ram to provide quality content. There is no possibility to have good PC with 98 windows - only geeks for old games doing this staff. I remember when i was doing some crazy stuff with plastic to design my old pc and give him futuristic look. If someone want to know more can type plastic pc in google also if you want to try - try injection moulders - http://bianorsolutions.com

• 3 weeks later...
Just joined and I love that this is the first thread I come across. I have an old Compaq Presario 1200 that had '98 on it.... I didn't have the nostalgia so I figured Puppy Linux would work better on it... I hope you can find what you're looking for, I feel like my 2006 MOBO (in my current desktop) with IDE & SATA ports is ancient news.

Archived