The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-17-2017, 01:12 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908397
SpeedyV Reputation: 41
Default Commander Pro Issues

I recently purchased a Commander Pro (CLCP) and 5 x HD140 RGB Fans. After a firmware update, the CLCP seems to be working well (under SIV control) but I have found that the CLCP is not able to detect fans that are plugged in or unplugged while the CLCP is running (Hot Plugging). A power cycle is required for the CLCP to detect the addition or removal of a fan.

As the Commander Mini (CLCM) could detect Hot Plugged fans, I feel that the CLCP should also be able to do this. I originally posted about this in the Using SIV to provide information to diagnose issues or to control CL hardware thread

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...602#post907602

but since this is a CLCP firmware issue and not a SIV issue, I was advised to start this new thread for CLCP issues.

I opened a ticket at Corsair to address this issue. The initial response I got is posted here.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...274#post908274

Upon checking, we don't support hot plugging or hot swapping with the fans nor the commander pro.

So I responded with the following,

Thank you for your response. I also own a Commander Mini and it detects hot-plugged fans just fine so I do not understand why the Commander Pro cannot do this. I suspect this is a firmware issue that could be resolved should Corsair choose to do so.

There are several posts on the Corsair forum regarding this problem and as more people purchase the Commander Pro, I expect that you will be receiving more support tickets regarding this problem. Can you please explain to me why the Commander Pro cannot detect fans plugged in without power cycling the device.

Yesterday I received another response from Corsair -

As for the my understanding, the commander came first before the mini, we have an with your commander pro as it works perfectly fine with your mini. Let me investigate more on this and will give more information, can you give me time until Tuesday so i can gather all the information? thank you

I do not even understand the first sentence as it is non-sensible. He seems to think the CLCP was released BEFORE the CLCM which is clearly incorrect. The CLCP was released for sale a few weeks ago. The CLCM has been on the market for at least a year and probably longer. So I am left with a response from a Corsair support person who does not even know when or in what order these products were released to the market, and a response that makes no sense to me at all no matter how many times I read it.

He does say that he will investigate more so I will respond and explain that he seems to be confused about which product preceded which, or perhaps what a Commander Pro even is. In addition to the obvious firmware issues with the CLCP, I have to deal with a Corsair support person who seems to be totally confused, sending me responses that border on illiterate. So I will count to 10 slowly and try again to make him understand which products i am talking about. I will post updates as they come in.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908399
red-ray Reputation: 81
Sigh.. Corsair told me Limitations with hotplugging aren’t a priority on 05-Jun-17 @ 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
  • I raised this with Corsair and the response was basically Limitations with hotplugging aren’t a priority.
Given I got the above response from Corsair on Mon 05-Jun-17 @ 18:55 I can't understand why Corsair support need 'till Tuesday to respond.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyV View Post
As for the my understanding, the commander came first before the mini,
I suspect he is talking about the old link commander, but this is nothing more than irrelevant and confusing information.

The CL4 does even support the old Commander, but it does support the Cooling Node, and guess what? Yes, hot plug also works with that .

Below I did a hot unplug of Cooler-M Fan 5 which of course SIV reflected .

I suspect you also don't know that the Cooling Node mode register works as it should and SIV does not need to do all the CLCC workarounds .
Attached Images
File Type: png [Link Fans].png (63.2 KB, 1517 views)

Last edited by red-ray; 06-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:20 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908416

Yes perhaps that is what he is talking about. I have no idea as the response is so poorly written that it makes no sense to me at all. Everyone makes a typo now and then but this response is complete nonsense. I have sent a response clearly indicating that I am talking about the Commander Pro. Will just have to wait and see what happens.

Yes I do not know anything about the CLNP as I do not own one. Perhaps you could glean some usable information from the CLNP mode register? Just a thought but this is above my level of understanding. I hope that you can work it out. I really hope more that Corsair will provide you with the information you need. I hope the most that Corsair will update the firmware to eliminate the need to pursue this at all.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908418
Confused I never mentioned the CLNP

Quote:
I do not know anything about the CLNP.
I never mentioned the CLNP, what are you on about? The Cooling Node is not a CLNP, I guess it would be CLCN

Old 06-17-2017, 02:28 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908419
Default Oops

Oops - My turn for Typo

Old 06-17-2017, 04:18 PM
r3v3nant's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908442
r3v3nant Reputation: 10

edit: Oh crap lol. I thought this was an official commander pro issues thread. I will open my own thread for my thing.

Last edited by r3v3nant; 06-17-2017 at 04:22 PM.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:20 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908472
Default This thread can be for any Commander Pro issue

No this thread is not specific to my hot plug issue. This issue and several others were being posted in the Using SIV to provide information to diagnose issues or to control CL hardware thread because myself and some other members here have given up on Corsair Link and use SIV to control our Corsair Link capable products.

There has been a lot of activity on that thread because the author of SIV (Red Ray) has added support for the Commander Pro and RGB fans and LED strips to SIV, and is still in the process of adding features and refining control of these devices. Since this issue is not a SIV issue but rather a Commander Pro firmware issue, it seemed appropriate to start a new thread dedicated to Commander Pro issues.

If you want to start a new thread about your issue go ahead but feel free to post in this thread as well.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:54 PM
kyle0782000's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908585
kyle0782000 Reputation: 10

Hello !

I didn't find a topic about general aspects of Corsair Commander. Due to my own experience with Aquaero 5 LT and mCubed T-Balancer bigNG, I would like some answers for the following questions :
1 - In case of the regulation of 3-pins fans, I suppose that a certain amount of heat will be dissipated by Corsair Commander. I don't see radiators. How does it manage heat dissipation ?
2 - Supposing I programmed some profiles between temperatures and fans/pump speeds, what happens during all the time that Windows is not completely started ? For example, while I am in front of my BIOS page, does Corsair Commander works with the profiles which were programmed few days ago ?

Many thanks for your answers !

Old 06-18-2017, 07:33 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908625

I'll take a crack at this.
  1. The Commander Pro (CLCP) is a powered device via a SATA power connector, and as such it will generate some waste heat but a truly insignificant about. The LEDs themselves will generate much more heat that the CLCP. No where near enough to require water cooling.

I took a look at the mCubed T-balancer. That is quite a hefty looking device with a massive heatsink. The CLCP is nothing like that. It's just a little plastic box. It can source 1 amp per port, 4.5 apps total. It is barely warm the the touch.

2. The CLCP stores the last setting. When I reboot my system, the fans and LEDs resume their last setting almost instantly. This is true while in the BIOS as well. As soon as the CLCP gets power and initializes, everything resumes the last setting.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-20-2017, 05:24 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908861
Default Hot Plug Ticket Update

Quote:
I recently purchased a Commander Pro (CLCP) and 5 x HD140 RGB Fans. After a firmware update, the CLCP seems to be working well (under SIV control) but I have found that the CLCP is not able to detect fans that are plugged in or unplugged while the CLCP is running (Hot Plugging). A power cycle is required for the CLCP to detect the addition or removal of a fan.

As the Commander Mini (CLCM) could detect Hot Plugged fans, I feel that the CLCP should also be able to do this. I originally posted about this in the Using SIV to provide information to diagnose issues or to control CL hardware thread

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...602#post907602

but since this is a CLCP firmware issue and not a SIV issue, I was advised to start this new thread for CLCP issues.

I opened a ticket at Corsair to address this issue. The initial response I got is posted here.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...274#post908274

Upon checking, we don't support hot plugging or hot swapping with the fans nor the commander pro.

So I responded with the following,

Thank you for your response. I also own a Commander Mini and it detects hot-plugged fans just fine so I do not understand why the Commander Pro cannot do this. I suspect this is a firmware issue that could be resolved should Corsair choose to do so.

There are several posts on the Corsair forum regarding this problem and as more people purchase the Commander Pro, I expect that you will be receiving more support tickets regarding this problem. Can you please explain to me why the Commander Pro cannot detect fans plugged in without power cycling the device.

Yesterday I received another response from Corsair -

As for the my understanding, the commander came first before the mini, we have an with your commander pro as it works perfectly fine with your mini. Let me investigate more on this and will give more information, can you give me time until Tuesday so i can gather all the information? thank you

I do not even understand the first sentence as it is non-sensible. He seems to think the CLCP was released BEFORE the CLCM which is clearly incorrect. The CLCP was released for sale a few weeks ago. The CLCM has been on the market for at least a year and probably longer. So I am left with a response from a Corsair support person who does not even know when or in what order these products were released to the market, and a response that makes no sense to me at all no matter how many times I read it.

He does say that he will investigate more so I will respond and explain that he seems to be confused about which product preceded which, or perhaps what a Commander Pro even is. In addition to the obvious firmware issues with the CLCP, I have to deal with a Corsair support person who seems to be totally confused, sending me responses that border on illiterate. So I will count to 10 slowly and try again to make him understand which products i am talking about. I will post updates as they come in.
I received an update from Corsair Support regarding the CLCP fan hot plug issue. Response follows.

Based on my resources, Both devices were never intended to be “Hot Swappable” and it is recommended to restart the PC for the proper detection and functionality when connecting new devices.

So Corsair officially recommends a full reboot of the entire computer before plugging or unplugging a fan. I fear I have encountered an immovable object. At this point, I am thinking to close the ticket as this does not appear to be a concern of Corsair.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908880
Thumbs down A restart of my PC did not result in my fans being detected

Quote:
Based on my resources, Both devices were never intended to be “Hot Swappable” and it is recommended to restart the PC for the proper detection and functionality when connecting new devices.
  1. Have you checked if the Corsair support advise works on your system please?
  2. One device is the CLCP, but what is the other device?
  3. BTW how is it going with the WS2812Bs?

Quote:
I followed this advise and my testing indicates that a restart of this PC fails to result in proper detection

If this did work then I expect pressing the [ Restart ] button on [Link Devices] would also work which I could live with.

I am also trying to get hotplug fixed via my direct Corsair contact and I just don't understand why Corsair don't fix this or at least provide a way to tell the CLCP firmware to do a redetect .

I feel tickets should remain open 'till the reported issue has been sensibly addressed.

[Link Fans] after I did a hotplug of 3 x 10K fans and before I rebooted

[Link Fans] after I did a hotplug of 3 x 10K fans and after I rebooted

Last edited by red-ray; 06-20-2017 at 07:27 PM.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:08 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908904

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-ray View Post
  1. Have you checked if the Corsair support advise works on your system please?
  2. One device is the CLCP, but what is the other device?
  3. BTW how is it going with the WS2812Bs?
  1. Yes I did a full system power cycle reboot and the new HD120 RGB fan was detected on previously unused port 6. This is basically a more severe version of power cycling just the CLCP which also causes the fan to be detected.

2. I assume he is talking about the CLCM which does detect hot plugged fans, which I mentioned in my original ticket description. Or maybe the original Commander he referred to earlier. I don't really know.

3. The LED strip arrived today. It is wired to CLCP LED Port 2 and working GREAT. I posted the details here.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/show...903#post908903

Old 06-21-2017, 02:07 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 908913
Confused Corsair Support did not specify to power cycle

Quote:
  1. Yes I did a full system power cycle reboot and the new HD120 RGB fan was detected on previously unused port 6. This is basically a more severe version of power cycling just the CLCP which also causes the fan to be detected.
  2. I assume he is talking about the CLCM which does detect hot plugged fans, which I mentioned in my original ticket description. Or maybe the original Commander he referred to earlier. I don't really know.
  3. The LED strip arrived today. It is wired to CLCP LED Port 2 and working GREAT. I posted the details here.
  1. Yes, but Corsair Support did not specify to power cycle.
  2. Corsair Support could/should be far clearer with their replies.
  3. Great .

Old 06-26-2017, 04:17 PM
kyle0782000's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909534
kyle0782000 Reputation: 10

Hello SpeedyV,

Thanks for your answer ! I went further in details and it appeared that Aquaero 5 LT or T-Balancer units have massive heatsink due to the maximum wattage to dissipate (20W per fan channel), while Corsair Commander goes up to 12W. I have to think about this, in front of numerous fans (i.e. 4 fans on the upper 4x120mm radiator), 2 fans on a lower radiator,...).

Old 06-26-2017, 06:00 PM
SpeedyV's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909552
Default FWIW This is what is connected to my CLCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle0782000 View Post
Hello SpeedyV,

Thanks for your answer ! I went further in details and it appeared that Aquaero 5 LT or T-Balancer units have massive heatsink due to the maximum wattage to dissipate (20W per fan channel), while Corsair Commander goes up to 12W. I have to think about this, in front of numerous fans (i.e. 4 fans on the upper 4x120mm radiator), 2 fans on a lower radiator,...).
If it helps, my Commander Pro (CLCP) currently has 5 x HD140 RGB fans and 1 HD120 RGB fan connected to it. The fan LEDs all go to the LED Hub which has it's own SATA power connection, so fan LEDs do not contribute to the load on the CLCP. I don't know how much power the HD140 and HD120 fans can consume. Power consumption is not listed on the Corsair webpage for the fans or in the specs (that I could find). The CLCP can source 1 amp per fan port, 4.4 amps total.

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hd140-r...-140mm-pwm-fan

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hd120-r...-120mm-pwm-fan
Attached Images
File Type: png CLCP Spec.png (73.3 KB, 1523 views)

Last edited by SpeedyV; 06-27-2017 at 08:10 AM.

Tags
commander mini, commander pro, firmware, hot plug