Corsair Community

H80i temps seem high

dansot

I have a new rig with the H80i and it seems like the temp is a little high but I don't really have a good comparison to know for sure.

I think all my specs are in my profile, at least what I could find/remember.

The fans are currently on Quiet Mode.

Thanks!

h80i.jpg.e6ff6a9f77b21fe81ee217aafa754cdc.jpg

Your temps look ok if your just messing around on the desktop.

Temps have a lot to do with ambient temps and cpu voltage. From the picture it looks like ambient temps are around 25c. What is your cpu voltage and what temps do you hit after running prime 95 or intel burn test for 5 minutes or so?

thats pretty high temps for such low voltage...what kind of CPU do you have? might help a little to understand

nevermind just saw i7 3770 standard clocked? thats a little hot for the h80i you should get those temps with like the stock cooler...did you clean the old thermal paste off before putting the h80i on? dont know if that would make much of a difference but it might

just tested mine got up to 72-73C with 1.1-1.12 volts and 3.5ghz and no positive or negative offset voltage...but i think mines kinda messed up too oh and it is almost like 78 degrees in here but even then shouldnt be that high...

i had high temperatures when first mounting my cpu block.

h80i temp was like 35 degrees and my cpu was in the 80-90's.

I found out that my cpu block was not tightenened up enough to get the right pressure on the cpu. I had to put rubber washers between the blackplate and the motherboard. After this is could tighten everything properly and my temperatures dropped to 40-50 degrees.

Running an overclocked 3570K @4.5Ghz (1.225v) now at <70 degrees.

**Edit: I have an asus maximus v gene mobo, using arctic silver 5 thermal paste.

and thats exactly what i didnt do which is why i think my temps are high but im waiting for new fans also im lazy and dont wanna have to put it on twice and if i have to return the unit id as soon just put it on as few times as i have to

if i run small FFT with 1.4 volts my computer just shuts off after 2 seconds :( basically it goes over its throttling temp which is 105C

and thats exactly what i didnt do which is why i think my temps are high but im waiting for new fans also im lazy and dont wanna have to put it on twice and if i have to return the unit id as soon just put it on as few times as i have to

Then that is why your temps are high. Double thermal paste will only act to insulate the CPU instead of transfer heat the way it should. ANY time you remove a CPU cooler you always remove the old and apply fresh. You just want a real thin coat that spreads across the CPU evenly to transfer heat correctly. New fans won't solve that problem.

There is no sense returning the cooler unitl you properly instal it and see how it performs.

i require 1.3 volts for 4.5ghz and i think that is even too much iv heard ppl able to get 4.5 with 1.25 volts but once i put the thermal paste on RIGHT ill see how it works :)

well if i cant control the fans or even see the H80i temp or control the LEDS is there a reason to return it?

I watched the video and I did use that technique but I took the water block off and re-did the paste. The temperatures went up even higher. So I disassembled the back-plate and found one of the standoffs wasn't like the others. Somehow it had come loose from the backplate and was making it not sit on the cpu evenly. I fixed that and re-assembled and re-did the paste and this time it is idling around 35C and maxing out around 50C with IntelBurn standard.

Sheesh, thank you guys for your help and patience. You definitely led me to the solution!

I cleaned off the old paste and put Arctic Silver on it and made sure it was on tight and now my temps are a few degrees *higher* than before.

Did you follow the instructions on Arctic Silver's website for your specific CPU?

Archived