Corsair Community

Corsair Hydro H110i problem

mikedavey

Hello,

I'm having a bit of an issue with my new Hydro H110i.

I have managed to completely install the setup into the case and have the cables connected correctly (Sata to PSU for power, 2 fans from the rad to the 2 fan slots, 3 pin to the CPU fan pins on the motherboard.

the issue arises with the USB cable going from the cooler to the USB header on the motherboard. There are 4 consecutive USB headers at the bottom of the motherboard (1 black then 3 blue). The middle blue header is in use. If i plug the cable either of the free BLUE usb headers, the PC will not boot. (it boots so far and then shuts itself off - similar to CPU overheat)

However

If I plug the cable into the BLACK usb header on the motherboard, the PC boots fine, CPU running at super low temps 15-17 o C as I am writing this. but no response from windows to any USB device being plugged in, so nothing being picked up by Corsair Link

It seems strange that the PC would not boot with it in one port, but would with it in another when the temperature at boot would be the same regardless.

any ideas?

- EDIT - From further searching this morning, it appears the BLACK usb header is not a USB header but a IE1394 Header (Firewire). I understand that you should never plug a USB header into the Firewire header by mistake, however the issue was only occuring in the BLUE USB headers. and the PC only boots with the wire plugged in to the IE1394 header now. weird.

regards,

Mike

By boot, do you mean going through POST and so on or does the computer POST without the header plugged into the IE1394 header?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery? Does it change anything?

Plugging the H110i in the 1394 Header could well have damaged/broken it as it supplies +12 volts rather than the +5 volts that USB headers supply.

Which did you use first?

I have just checked the manual and page 2-25 states Never connect a USB cable to the 1394a connector. Doing so will damage the motherboard!

attachment.php?attachmentid=25168&stc=1&d=1463145966

Oops.png.3311cff18d844a8990ca491f0bb5c10d.png

By boot, do you mean going through POST and so on or does the computer POST without the header plugged into the IE1394 header?

Have you tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery? Does it change anything?

Hi thanks for your reply,

without the header lead plugged in the PC only makes noise for a few seconds after I press the power button and shuts itself off, I dont think its getting as far as POST - that is also what happens with the header lead plugged in to either of the free USB headers on the motherboard.

weirdly, the PC now boots fine and runs fine (seemingly and according to corsair link) with the header lead plugged in to the "IE1394" header. I'm obviously worried leaving it plugged in to the wrong header due to the wrong voltage being supplied.

I have not tried removing the cmos battery yet, but I did flash the bios to update it after the issues, that all went fine.

Plugging the H110i in the 1394 Header could well have damaged/broken it as it supplies +12 volts rather than the +5 volts that USB headers supply.

Which did you use first?

I have just checked the manual and page 2-25 states Never connect a USB cable to the 1394a connector. Doing so will damage the motherboard!

I know, always RTFM :(:

It was initially plugged into the USB header but was not booting so I tried the other, same response, then tried taking out the occupied USB header and replacing it with the hydro header lead, same response again. I then replaced the originally occupied header and put the hydro lead into the IE1394 header (stupidly and without bad intent.) The PC then booted, and as far as I was aware I had achieved success. (now I feel a bit silly.) After 5 minutes or so and downloading corsair link, I realised the cooler wasn't being picked up.

I decided to re-try the other USB headers, still not booting there. back to the "working USB header" (IE1394) which at least allows me to get into windows. It was then I began investigating the USB headers on my motherboard more thoroughly, learned my error with the IE1394 port, and came here for some assistance!

would you also advise resetting the cmos battery?

thanks in advance for helping an idiot! :faceslap:

Archived